Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > The Shifletts

Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

Tim 'ArtFarmer' Bruckner dvd review

If you don't have the PoP Sculpture book by Tim Bruckner, Ruben Porcopio and Zach Oat you should really check it out. Brandon and I both have one and I've opened mine 100 times minimum.I also sculpted the Thype sword in styrene after reading it. I think it's the best book yet written on this subject. Hell I know it is.

Anyway , many of you may know Tim as 'ArtFarmer' and he wrote us these nice comments on our Gnomon Workshop DVD. He said not to post them but whatev.

"Gents,

It works on so many levels. You guys do that “gosh, we’re just country boys from Texas.” Which is disarming and engaging. So, you might come off as not very sophisticated. There is NOTHING unsophisticated about your art. Its resonates. It has soul. And the way you explain what you do, so conversationally, you almost have to watch it a couple of times to get the full weight and import of what it is you’re saying. Among the many things I liked was the way you address the process. It ain’t done until its done. I know and have known a good many sculptors who are loathe to reexamine anything they do. When its done, its done. Unfortunately, it shows. A little more thought. Another look. A willingness to see other possibilities, is the difference between product and art. And they are not exclusive from one another. You guys bring a depth and an openness to the process I wish more of us would adopt. If your viewer takes anything away from this DVD, its to always look for a way to make it better. The amount of labor is not an indication of whether a piece is good or bad. It is what it is and whatever to takes to make it a good, a better piece is very much worth it.

Then there’s the technical information. Nuts and bolts, do this, don’t do that. When we were writing Pop Sculpture it was almost more important to reveal the don’ts than the do’s. This Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga! is expensive,. And you can blow through it like nobody’s business if you take a wrong turn. So, in the course of discussing composition, anatomy, intent and emotional context, you drop little jewels of pragmatic insight on how this stuff works and how to make it work better.

You guys rock!

Until later, T.

From The Art farm, Inc. Mobile Laptop Unit."

Thanks Tim.

Jarrod
shiflettbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote