Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #301
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I think there's two things that are objective and everything else is just opinions.

The hobby is at an all time high in production in all scales, companies, licenses and characters.

The hobby's aftermarket is an all time low with some exceptions as always(sought after and highly regarded pieces).

I think this says a lot regardless of your personal experience and opinions(mine included)!
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #302
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's clear that there has been a shift in the hobby. Older collectors who once benefitted from that once-generally-steady option of being able to resell an older piece at some later point either for profit or for a return of their original cost are now compelled to give that option up. That's the new reality (i.e., for older collectors, that is). If you're okay spending 1k+ for a piece with increasingly limited reselling options down the road (i.e., assuming reselling is something that identified your collecting style), then it should be smooth sailing. One thing for sure, it's that statues never looked this good.

Speaking as an older collector, I will miss those ease-of-reselling days as it means I must now be far more selective than ever. Perhaps that will change with time.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #303
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I’m in a different situation to a lot of the longer term members on this board, as I only got into statues maybe four years ago, so I wasn’t collecting when pieces were far lower.

And to me the prices are the prices. Heck for the last couple of years, from time to time we’ve all read comments from those complaining that they’re being priced out because prices have gone up maybe 50% since I started, and all I’m thinking is that they’ve doubled for me as an international buyer. So sometimes I think I must be insane to keep collecting, if 50% is one persons limit, what does that say about me who’s willing? to accept a 200% increase.

Heck I’ve probably got way too many preorders at the moment. At last count it was over two dozen, and admittedly I’m thinking of cancelling quite a few because of lack of display space for both statues/figures and especially storage for the boxes!
Yeah dude the new GST and the 1000$ limit pushed me over the edge. By the way Pop cultcha has started selling exclusive versions now as well starting with capn America so that definitley will help
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #304
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
You're right. I was quite surprised to even see this thread, considering all the mad products coming onto the market right now, as well as the quality.

I just chalked it up to the fact that people like to complain, and resigned myself to let them have their "moment"....I don't really need justification to enjoy my hobby / interest, so someone claiming the hobby is dead really doesn't affect me one way or the other.

But it's refreshing to see someone trying to rationalise the misguided chaos - well done.
Well I just wanted to see where the community was at and hear all your opinions, I didn't necessarily mean to justify peoples choices , just wanted to have a discussion, this is a forum after all. Not sure why people are getting so defensive and worked up over this.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #305
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
I don't give a ---- about "community" when buying a TV for 2500 at the store. Simply buy, go home and stare at it, Never being depressed that it went on sale 8 months later for Black Friday. Same goes for a statue.

Gothamite was right, this is a personal problem, not a market problem.
Never said care about community, I said impact.
Returning customers is most likely their goal. Returning customers are most likely collectors going after lines. Not one time Batman or flavor of the movie characters.
Now we see the impact it has on lesser known characters sitting on the shelf. Not because they are lesser known but because the inflation of these statues made from high sales of repetition. Personal problem no, I’ll buy what I like and what I see fit, that has nothing to do with how things are.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #306
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Good post.
I’d rather spend 1000$ on actual original art instead of
Mass produced statues, that are continually getting more and more overpriced with no change in QC or packaging.
Sure some pieces like P1 Swamp Thing and Lobo, SS Juggernaut and Cable are intriguing and tempting, but the prices are or are going to be ridiculous. This has a huge impact for the community. Buy now for 1600 plus shipping, wait for a Sale because these won’t sell out and get free shipping and some % off, or hundreds off on EBay etc. No Worth or satisfaction. More like stress and rapid depreciation.
Just becomes less fun and interesting when soo many pieces come out with underwhelming design choices on top of knowing the QC/ Final Product won’t be at the standards these prices should justify.
Maybe that's why sideshow art prints are selling better now, people are transitioning over to art and other hobbies for all the many reasons with this hobby going in different directions for so many. I actually started doing the same now. Buying so much less, and about zero po's for retail. May pick up a few down the road at a huge discount. Then collecting other things like art, and vintage toys again. They take up less space too! At 1000.00 for a average size pf. times that by 25-40 a year. That's give me a ton of Money to get into other hobbies now. It kinda of feels good to get some of the space back in the garage, living room, multiple bed rooms and basement where it was stuffed with all big brown boxes.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #307
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Never said care about community, I said impact.
Returning customers is most likely their goal. Returning customers are most likely collectors going after lines. Not one time Batman or flavor of the movie characters.
Now we see the impact it has on lesser known characters sitting on the shelf. Not because they are lesser known but because the inflation of these statues made from high sales of repetition. Personal problem no, I’ll buy what I like and what I see fit, that has nothing to do with how things are.
I agree, Id buy so many more pieces in years to come if they were 400 compared to 650. At 650, I have a list of 10 more pieces past my current PO's and Im done. I do though think they are worth the 650 price point, I personally just don't want to be putting out that kind of money in years to come.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #308
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That's life sometimes.
I think you’re in denial regarding the state of the hobby.

I think it has to do with your join date or maybe it that you are so involved on this forum posting coupon codes here deals over there for you it’s in full force.

I’m not saying there aren’t great products there are, but in reality with all of the big steps up in sculpting and manufacturing, the hobby is NOTHING like it used to be. It was great. It was very special at one point not just for me but for MANY and most other collectors. All of that greatness is mostly gone. The hobby still exists but it’s a far cry from what it was. Maybe to you it’s great. To me it’s strangley deflated and inflated at the same time. I’m still collecting one odd ball piece at a time but I have a firm grasp on the market and the state of the hobby.

This current state of the hobby is the equivalent of thriving civilization that was decimated by a natural disaster and now it’s in the rebuilding cleanup stages. Anyone that think this hobby is currently doing great weren’t around during the golden years.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #309
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Funny thing is I’m still chasing some old golden year SS pieces that for my taste are timeless. Few new ones to balance it out and I’m hoping to get the heck out. I always had game plan I’m almost there I’m tapping out to enjoy what I have .
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #310
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
Nostalgia blah blah blah golden years.
Ah, the "things used to be better" argument.

Sorry, but when I look at older statues except for Bowens, most seem primitive and laughably so.

Again, there are always people new to the hobby. However, just because they don't want to buy your older statues doesn't mean the sky fell. It just means you, individually, overbought.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote