Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Home Repair

Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #21
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

This last year alone I replaced all of the windows and siding, the central air unit, and the shingles on the roof.

I didn't need to do the siding and windows, but they could use it and this was the last year for me to take advantage of the commie lib tax deduction for upgrading energy efficiency.

Owning a house is an expensive game. Even if it is new. I owned a brand new house from construction to about 5 yrs old once. No repairs but special assessments just kick you in the arse hard
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
me either! Too much downside = fire and flooding ... I want someone bonded.
Yeah, then you have to make the call of shame and get a professional to fix your screw up. Then Joe Monkewrench is going to look at me like I'm the worlds biggest idiot...this is up for debate...and make me explain to him what hell I did and why did I do it. Not that I have been in that situation before
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #23
Jesse321
Galactus

OUCH!

This year, we're going to take apart our hall bathroom, taking out the tub and installing a shower, and I just know we're going to find rot in the walls behind the shower.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

funny this thread came up today. I'm actually having the carpet and pad replaced in my downstairs bedroom My daughter clogged the toilet with too much toilet paper and it flooded everything. Thankfully I caught it before it got to the walls.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

There is always something in the house that needs fixing, the freakin work never stops, I just try to be vigilant to catch the work when its minor before it gets to major, it helps that a good friend is a house doctor and really micro inspected our house before we bought it 10 years ago.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #26
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
There is always something in the house that needs fixing, the freakin work never stops, I just try to be vigilant to catch the work when its minor before it gets to major, it helps that a good friend is a house doctor and really micro inspected our house before we bought it 10 years ago.
absolutely. I try and tackle the small stuff as soon as it happens so that way it doesn't pile up on me.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #27
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
funny this thread came up today. I'm actually having the carpet and pad replaced in my downstairs bedroom My daughter clogged the toilet with too much toilet paper and it flooded everything. Thankfully I caught it before it got to the walls.
Trust me bro, I wish this thread never started.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Trust me bro, I wish this thread never started.
yeah I definitely feel for you. Does your homeowners insurance cover it?

My home is only 5 years old and I happen to work for the builder so if anything goes wrong I know exactly who to call.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
yeah I definitely feel for you. Does your homeowners insurance cover it?

My home is only 5 years old and I happen to work for the builder so if anything goes wrong I know exactly who to call.
The plumbers have left the building. The 8 day job ended this a.m.. We paid 'em and the job did come in on the estimate which was good. Bad/unforseen $ outputs came in three's in 2010, hopefully 2011 it won't come at all.

Still, glad to have it behind us.

Monster, we're in the process of figuring out the homeowners insurance angle. Gotta see if they'll accept plus what the potential claim might do to our annual.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #30
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Our house hits the 11 year mark this year. It's an extremely well built home in a very desirable neighborhood, but small things are now starting to mount--plumbing , fiber rewiring (I'm on CAT-5), a gas generator since we lose power if you sneeze the wrong way, pool repairs, etc. We have a 3-acre rental property about 7 miles away (bought at the wrong end of the market, but has still held most of its value) with a 30-year-old house that is a money . Anyhoo, we're now looking at selling the main house, knocking down the rental and building something brand spankin' new on that land. Already working with an architect on designs and we can build based on what we've learned in the past ten years, plus make it green and so energy efficient I will be able to actually sell back to the utility co. Only problem is it will add at least another 15-20 minutes to my commute, unless I buy a blinkin' helicopter, learn how to fly it, and not get shot down since I work in DC .Oh well, there are always trade offs.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote