Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
SONICobra
Batman

is it just me or is it just really uncool to be a white male now?
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
ukshaun
Hercules

Didn't watch the show. Have read the results. Bohemian Rhapsody is about the only title i'll probably check out.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Didn't watch the show. Have read the results. Bohemian Rhapsody is about the only title i'll probably check out.
ukshaun likes UK Queen.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
AMPAS members are filmmakers, not critics. Ironically, sometimes, people who make movies / TV shows for a living like garbage.
You are right of course. I should have stated that critically acclaimed films usually rule the Academy Awards and not blockbusters with lackluster reviews like Bohemian Rhapsody.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #15
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
You are right of course. I should have stated that critically acclaimed films usually rule the Academy Awards and not blockbusters with lackluster reviews like Bohemian Rhapsody.
Vice got a lot of awards attention, which is mystifying to me. I think Adam McKay is an atrocious filmmaker, but his previous movie, The Big Short, also won several awards (including a screenplay Oscar).
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
is it just me or is it just really uncool to be a white male now?
Nah, it was never cool. j/k
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #17
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The Big Short and Vice were good movies. A more left spin, but not inaccurate historically.

Vice is amazing because it's all mashed together and not fresh in the moment - long-term it's fascinating how much Cheney influenced the political/social landscape then and now. I had no idea I could thank his a$$ for one-sided news stations. THAT is vomit worthy. Let alone the $hit treatment of his one daughter. And of course everything in between. Good times.

One move that I NEVER understood the love for is Shakespeare in Love. I HATE that movie. It is still beyond me how in the hell it beat out Saving Private Ryan, Elizabeth, or Life is Beautiful for Best Picture. Cate Blanchett is a million times better than Gwyneth Paltrow. Don't get me started on the Best Actor category from that year.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #18
built2shred
Phoenix

The Ratings for 2019 Oscars was 7.7 (18-49 Demo) with 29.6 million viewers, that's better then last years 6.8 and 26.5 million viewers but it's still the second worse ratings in the history of the Oscars... last years being #1 worst...

I think the only reason it got a bump in ratings is because people tuned in to see if the show would self explode without a host...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #19
Mister H
Gen 13

I think movies in general are getting worse. Not many that I will fork over money to see in theaters, not even all Marvel movies and certainly very few DC movies.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #20
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I think movies in general are getting worse. Not many that I will fork over money to see in theaters, not even all Marvel movies and certainly very few DC movies.
I think 2018 was a great year for movies. It's just that most award shows are very Hollywood centric and end up giving more recognition to more commercial movies. The fact that most blockbusters and big budget movies were really forgetable also didn't help.

But this year's best foreign movie category, for example, was really good. The best in the last several years in my opinion. And some of the best movies of the year were still left out, like "Burning" and "Dogman".
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote