Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #421
pdenham
Teen Titans

Part of it is because Frazetta's style (especially in that particular painting) is more suggestive and impressionistic rather than sharp and hyper real.

A sculpture by it's nature is hard edged and sharply defined in space. It's almost impossible to avoid that, unless maybe you were doing a bas-relief sculpt.

In any case, that remark should be interpreted "for my tastes...".
I didn't mean to imply I was making a sweeping statement of fact.

And you are right- different mediums, different criteria.
Overall I think Level 52 did a great "Inspired by..." interpretation, rather than an exacting 3D replication of the original art.

Strictly IMO, of course.
pdenham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #422
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I really like the Fighting Man piece. I think the faces came out pretty good although I wish the girl had the higher cheekbone eastern european look. Painting always kinda reminded me of Barbara Carrera.

Been pretty quiet on the preorder front, wonder how these are coming along
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #423
SAB380
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
I really like the Fighting Man piece. I think the faces came out pretty good although I wish the girl had the higher cheekbone eastern european look. Painting always kinda reminded me of Barbara Carrera.

Been pretty quiet on the preorder front, wonder how these are coming along
They’re trying to figure out how to put even more beard on it.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #424
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Part of it is because Frazetta's style (especially in that particular painting) is more suggestive and impressionistic rather than sharp and hyper real.

A sculpture by it's nature is hard edged and sharply defined in space. It's almost impossible to avoid that, unless maybe you were doing a bas-relief sculpt.

In any case, that remark should be interpreted "for my tastes...".
I didn't mean to imply I was making a sweeping statement of fact.

And you are right- different mediums, different criteria.
Overall I think Level 52 did a great "Inspired by..." interpretation, rather than an exacting 3D replication of the original art.

Strictly IMO, of course.
When Frank was still alive he always told the sculptors he wanted a "loose sculpt" which is pretty much how Dark Kingdom was done but the problem with that style is if it is very loose at all it almost can't be painted to look really good, it is more of a bronze (or faux bronze for us peasants) ready style. I know Frank said Steve Lord was his guy and he was going to do the ones he (Frank) produced himself. I have loved everyone's work on the Frazetta stuff, ARH, Level52, Steve Lord, ReelArt, CS Moore, and the independents. I am just happy when one gets done really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
Now that you say that I can totally see that too. Looks a lot like Barbara Carerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
They’re trying to figure out how to put even more beard on it.
I think the beard is fine as is IMO, the only thing I wish Hanna had done differently is to not try to duplicate the lighting in the painting on to the 3 D statue. I think depending on the lighting in the display it may be noticable but it is a very small gripe, overall I love it and can't wait to order it.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #425
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Now that you say that I can totally see that too. Looks a lot like Barbara Carerra
BROTHER!
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #426
pdenham
Teen Titans

For some reason, even though I placed the order on the first go round, I just got another email inviting me to order Cat Girl via a password code.
The window is also going to remain open "a little longer" than 24 hours this time. Seems just a little desperate.
I have to conclude that just like ARH found out, the Frazetta association can't even move 100 pieces.

I still look at the vids and pics and am happy I ordered and am looking forward to this- but the writing certainly seems to be on the wall.

Or maybe it's just the subject matter. I guess we'll see when Fighting Man goes up.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #427
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

I love my Frazetta statues. But I honestly think they don't compare to the paintings. I think the paintings just have so much more WOW factor compared to the sculpts. 1/4 DD included, big crazy piece but it just doesn't do it for me like the paintings/prints do.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #428
pdenham
Teen Titans

From everything out there that I've seen so far, I would easily agree.

I was never even that big a fan of his paintings. I'd always liked his pen & ink work so much more.
I only really became impressed with his paintings when I got a chance to hit the museum back around the turn of the century.
Seeing them in person finally made a believer out of me.

I remember seeing this one

This is an illo that I would normally blow past quick if it were in a book, but I was riveted seeing it in person.
The vibrancy of the red curtains was so intense, that they pulsed in my vision - almost like they were rippling from being pulled back.
The effect was insane.

I don't know if that was a conscious move on his part or just a happy accident, but whatever it was it worked.

No way that would ever come across in a book or on a monitor.

And yeah, as impressed as I was, I would have zero interest in a statue of it, no matter who well it was done.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #429
Level52
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
The window is also going to remain open "a little longer" than 24 hours this time. Seems just a little desperate.
Not desperate We just want to give those who signed up for the wait list the proper amount of time to make their order. We only have less than 5 open slots left now that we dropped distribution. And to be honest 100 is all we would have wanted to sell.of this piece. We believe in the Frazetta Legacy series as being highly limited works of art. Thank you for your purchase and we can't wait to get these pieces out!
Level52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #430
pdenham
Teen Titans

I was thinking it must be in the range of twenty to thirty. Five left isn't bad at all.

If the production pieces looks as good in person as the proto in the videos does, those will get snapped up in jiff- assuming they don't sell before then.

Are they going to be shipped in waves or all at once?