Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Nice review mate. How do you think it compares with the DC one which I think is one of DCs best efforts at this scale.

The Joker, in my humble opinion, remains Sideshow's DC Comics' premium format to beat. From head to toe, it's a perfect piece. It's as close to a 10-rating as you'll likely get on a design. The stars were clearly aligned when Sideshow assembled the development team behind that project as everyone on board seemed to have brought their A-game to the table. While I really like the Ivy, especially the sculpture, there was room for improvement with regards to the paint applications. It's always a shame when a stellar design falls a bit short during its final stage of production. The Batman, ironically, suffers from being too magnificent, in the sense that it nearly dwarfs anything it's displayed next to. Its wow factor takes up a lot of space. While it might seem bizarre to actually consider a positive critique like "magnificent" as something potentially negative, the reality is that most fans generally prefer to display their statues together rather than apart. That's a challenge with the Batman PF. Hopefully, the Superman and WW will display well alongside Batman without any scale issues.

The Harley, however, features stellar paint applications and manages to exude this veneer of playfulness, psychomania, and even some sex appeal. Moreover, the pose sets itself apart by the mallet prop, exemplary tailoring and a dynamic pose. Steve Schumacher and Pascual Wawoe had their work cut out of them as they were asked to produce something which can be displayed beside the Joker PF, arguably the best DC statue ever sculpted. No easy feat. Thankfully, for us, they succeeded with flying colors.

What do you think?
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I think having her with the mallet was inspired especially after seeing the original Joker PF with the bloody mallet which was dropped. I do like the design on this one but I would like to see both Harleys in one picture before deciding which I prefer. I do love the DC one with the hyenas. It was such a playful look.

Steve is fast becoming a very well respected sculptor. I really love what he did with WW and Sinestro which looks like a winner.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
I think having her with the mallet was inspired especially after seeing the original Joker PF with the bloody mallet which was dropped. I do like the design on this one but I would like to see both Harleys in one picture before deciding which I prefer. I do love the DC one with the hyenas. It was such a playful look.

Steve is fast becoming a very well respected sculptor. I really love what he did with WW and Sinestro which looks like a winner.

I had the DC Direct Harley but sold it shortly after I pre-ordered the Sideshow Harley. While the DC Direct Museum line Harley was nice, I don't think it compares to the Sideshow PF, at least not from a mixed media quality perspective. Also, due to the flat base, it was numerous inches shorter than the Joker PF. In all fairness though, the DC Direct Harley sculpted by Jack Matthews was likely the nicest DC Direct museum quality statue they produced. I think it was the last one too.

I always liked the DC Direct Adam Hughes Cover Girls Harley Quinn. Very nice piece overall too. Would you believe this piece was limited to 8000?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
gomur
The Tick

Quote:

The SS sculpt is amazing and it works very well with the Joker. It's a more playful and mischievous Harley which I remember from the Animated Series. And I prefer her portraits to the DC Museum piece which comes across as sinister.

However, I really love the DC museum's pose with Harley walking her hyenas. And the gadgets they incorporate with the dynamite stick and corked gun. It has a ton more attitude than simply holding a mallet. So I think it's superior in that sense.

Summary, for me, is two outstanding statues with their respective strengths.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

I did a statueforum review for the DC Direct Harley Quinn 3 years ago. For those curious, here are a couple quick pics.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I would love to see a picture of the two side by side.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

That DCD Harley was awesome in so many regards. The big detractor for me was the face/mouth on the piece.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Great review my man. Keep 'em coming.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 05-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
risingstar