Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Another Batman Premium Format review.

Yeah I know... There are lots of reviews out there of this piece... And anyone who wants this piece probably owns it and has their own opinions about this piece. But I feel like doing a review on this piece and I might actually have a slightly different take on this then man others who own it.

The Batman PF has to be one of the most anticipated and one of the most controversial piece SSC has ever produced. People have waited for a long time for SSC to get the DC rights and when they did they all waited patiently for the Bat.... Little did they know it would be over a year before they finally got a look at the PF Batman and it would be almost another two years after many delays before they got the piece in their hand. During this time there was much debate on the pose of this piece, weather or not it should be fully sculpted, the overall body sculpt, The choice of EX, the color choice etc... etc... etc...

I was a part of many of these discussions. I was very critical of many of the choices that SSC was making with the Bat. When they first released the preview pics I have to say I was slightly let down... Of course how could one not be... We had been waiting for so long and after the perfection that is the Joker PF, it's safe to say expectations were high. However while I was let down by the final reveal I thought the good outweighed the issues I had and put in my PO for the EX... So How did I feel after getting it in hand??? Well read on.

Sculpt: 8 / 10 - the cape is amazingly detailed on this piece.... Too bad it's on his back. Either way it's amazing. Bat's boots and gloves are finally detailed and look great. The exclusive is the Batarang and I hate to say it but the EX is a must own. I have tried to display it without the EX and the Batarang just adds that certain something. It gives the piece life. I am not just saying this because I have the EX... I was one of the ones who thought the EX was average since it could only be seen from certain angles. That does not mean the non ex is a fail... It's just that the EX is the better display option. As far as the base goes, I know most love this and while I really like it, I do have some issues. Mostly the choice of the Big Ugly Bat... It's just a little too big IMO and could be a bit smaller. It's nice just slightly awkward looking IMO. But it's still nice.

Batman comes with two different heads. The short eared looking to the side ad the long eared looking more straight on. You really can't go wrong with either one. I originally hated the long eared sculpt when I saw the PO photos. However in person he looks great and looks really good if you display him from higher up, as he looks like he is looking down keeping an eye on Gotham. You can also see the EX batarang better. My only issue with it is that the cowl is less detailed and has a bird type look to it due to how the nose of the mask was sculpted. However from a straight on shot he looks great.

However my preferred sculpt is the short eared version. While Bat's face/jaw/lips sculpt is not as nice as the long eared... The Cowl is a much better sculpt with better detail and a more menacing look. I also him looking to the side more. Both head sculpts seemed to be influenced by Brian Bolland's art just as the Joker PF was... Great choice in my book. Like I said you really can't go wrong with either choice.

Design: 7 / 10 This was one of my biggest issues when the reveal was first made and it's still my biggest issue. Overall it looks great.... From some angles.... And that is my issue. For 400.00 I want it to look great at all angles. The decision to have the leg up pose was not a bad one but the placement of the leg and the twist of his body gave the Bat a slightly feminine look IMO from some angles. While I love how he looks in the above photo... I hate how he looks in this one

I mean does Batman have to pee??? And it's not just the above pictures angle... It's any angle close to that. Add that to the fact that his neck looks too long at the angel, I find that I have to place him just right so I don't have to look at it from that view. Sort of sucks... To me the best pieces look good from a total 360 view. This one does not make it.. Thus the 7 out of 10 grade.

Paint app/mixed media: 9 / 10 - The paint apps on this piece are for the most part excellent. My long eared head sculpt has the better paint apps then the short eared version but I am happy with both. SSC really nailed the eyes and they look very cool. The cape, boots, and gloves all look top notch... No real complaints there.

The issues comes with the mixed media... But more for other people and not me. Which is funny because I was one of the most vocal about this.

When pics of this guy came out many if not most freaked out about the loose clothing under the arms of batman.... It became known as Pitgate and it was the sores of much rage... I was one of the first if not the first to point it out and I HATED it.... On some It made Batman look like he had fat breasts.. Some where worse then others but all of them had it to some degree. Then owners started to mod it and fix the problem. I also did this as I had an extra Body to practice on since the one I received had a broken arm. So I did the pit surgery after I fixed the arm and compared it to the non surgery version ad you know what???? I liked it pre surgery better. Granted it looks better in pics with the fixed pits but In person it looked more natural without it. So I did not touch my replacement body except to sand down some extra resin that was on his chest.

Now having said that, I did still pull on the back and pushed up the extra cloth to give it a less drastic sag. But I am happy with how it tuned out and think it looks great.

The material used it very nice and does a great job showing off the body sculpt underneath. I am still not sure that I would have not preferred fully sculpted but I love how it looks so I can't complain. The point I took off was for the issues of pitgate and the fat that you have to mess with it in some way to get it to look better then it does out of the box.

The Belt looks amazing. I love the fact they used the yellow color. It really helps the piece pop and give it the comic feel. Very classy.

Production & Build Quality: 10 / 10 - Can't take any points away here. People notice this piece when they walk into the room. He is massive and he really demands to be noticed.

Overall: 8 / 10 - Some may think I rated this a bit low and I should stress that I really like it. Is it the Best 1/4 scale Batman on the market?? Yes. Could it have been better?? IMO Yes. The pose is my biggest issue. the paint on the short eared version and the extra long neck brings it down a bit also. But it's still a great piece. Just not my fav. in my collection.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote