Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Ben Kenobi Mythos ~ Sideshow Collectibles

I’ll watch over the child from a distance. I will build a shelter across the Dune Sea from the Lars homestead. Close enough for me to sense any danger to the boy. Far enough away that the Empire may not discover him if they find me.

I have already established a link with the spirit of my Master, Qui-Gon. His teachings endure from beyond the netherworld of the Force. There is a measure of comfort to be found there. Someday, when my task is accomplished, I might be able to join him in that place.

But for now, I feel old. Old beyond my years. Desert life ages flesh and spirit, so I can only expect this to worsen the longer I remain on this world. The Tatooine storms whip me with sands like a scourge. Each night I hear in the winds the howls of my murdered Jedi kindred.

I already wrestle with the weariness. The loss of my friend to this evil creature who has replaced him fills me with bitterness. I must remember the words of my master, be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the moment. The boy is what matters. He IS the future. I failed Anakin. But I’ll not fail Luke. The son of Skywalker must become a Jedi.

The second entry into Sideshow’s Mythos line is this stunning piece. Ben Kenobi Mythos takes you on a voyage in time after the Revenge of the Sith and prior to A New Hope. Portrayed as a desert nomad wandering the Jundland wastes of Tatooine.I cannot help but feel a little bit of excitement every time I look at this statue. It harkens to ones imagination of the adventures and unseen and untold parts the epic story that is Obi-Wan Kenobi. Among his belonging's you will find a Cycler rifle and a Gaderffii stick Trophies of survival in the desert obtained from his confrontations with the Tuskens.

His battered armor from his earlier service in the Clone Wars adorns his pack and is reminiscent of the trials and tribulations of a more youthful Ben Kenobi which is also displayed in one of the two portraits the statue comes with. The bandoliers slung across his shoulder chronicle his interactions with the desert scavenging Jawas. Also included in detail are small corked bottles, ropes, a grappling hook, A Hyperwave transmitter surely for staying a step ahead of the Empire. Strapping his hip in yet even more detail is a pair of TD2.3 electrobinoculars ideal for the harsh desert climate also a pair of Flash goggles slung around his neck an item that would sure to be handy in desert survival and would accompany the use of the salvaged Cycler rifle.

As if that wasnt enough extra detail to take in among his trappings of survival in the Dune Sea Ben also carries a rolled Jerba skin rug. As a memento or perhaps a more functional purpose Obi-Wan has at the ready by his side the Lightsabers of his former fallen master Qui-Gon Jinn and friend turned Darksider and Sith Lord Anakin Skywalker. From the simulated desert sand that makes up the base of this statue to the Jedi utility belt and the portraits of Sir Alec Guinness as Old Ben Kenobi Ewan McGregor’s youthful version of the iconic Jedi this statue packs a punch!!!

Product Details
Title: Ben Kenobi – Mythos
License: Star Wars
ES/EX (edition size): 2000 (exclusive edition size): N/A
Scale: 1:5
Composition: Polystone Statue
Dimensions: 18" H (457.2mm) x 8.00" W (203.2mm) x 6" L (152.4mm)
Product Weight: 14.00 lbs (6.35 kg)
Manufacturer: Sideshow Collectibles
MSRP (USD): N/A (EX) $349.99 (REG)
Design: Joe Allard
Sculpt: Trevor Grove
Paint: Bernardo Esquivel

The concept art for the art box by artist Trevor Grove ia also included with the statue in the form of this art print on heavy card stock for display with the statue. The certificate of authenticity being provided on the backside. The concept art for this echoes throughout the statue and truly speaks the story of Obi-wans trials of his time spent learning to adapt and survive on Tatooine.

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Being a Star Wars enthusiast and hound for the stories and characters of the Expanded Universe the Mythos line of statues brings a collector like myself the best of both worlds. Classic characters that speak a story that has lingered in the imagination brought to life in the time capsule of a statue. There is a sense of realism brought into this not only in detail but in concept. The hooded poncho that once belonged to his master and friend Qui Gon flows in the wind revealing the tattered damage from life as a desert nomad. That coupled with the wrappings tied to the tops of his boots to keep out the sand, his gloves, flash goggles and other trappings show or speak to us in terms that he has learned from those whom have survived life in the desert sands. To be able to bring that all to life there needs to be a certain sense of realism to tell that story and the team at Sideshow really delivered with Ben Kenobi Mythos.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Sithlord32
New Republic

This statue is a labor of love from every angle. It will make you want to buy rotating stand so you can view it from every angle and appreciate it in its entirety. Even if Star Wars is not your forte a person could really appreciate this sculpt for the piece of art that it is. With multiple display options included in two portraits and two different hands you can change the dynamic presentation. Those might seem like only subtle differences but they do really change the whole feel the sculpt brings you. Always more drawn to the classic trilogy as far as the cinema goes mostly because that is what i grew up with I think that euphoria will always hold its weight. I have grown fond of Ewan as Obi-Wan and both of the portraits look amazing I am finding some difficultly deciding how I want to display him but I guess thats the bonus of having both you can switch it up whenever you want!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Sithlord32
New Republic

Summary

Sculpt: 10/10
The sculpt is superb. Both portraits have an excellent likeness to their human counterparts. The amount of detail is a no holds barred extravaganza sure to please even the crankiest of overly critical collectors. The 1:5 scale is perfect in size for those who do not have an abundance of space but want the detail found in larger scale sculpts. the base follows suit with all others in the Mythos line. It has a nice clean design and dosent take away from the piece but isnt just a boring platform either.

Paint & Mixed Media: 8.5/10
Well no mixed media to contend with here in this fully sculpted piece. Though it could be pretty amazing if there was in this scale. The paint application does have its flaws. Thankfully the head sculpts are done with precision. The colors and overall tone are right on the money.There are some sloppy lines and a greyish blob on his right sleeve that is really distracting. Beyond those few inconsistencies The amount of detail handled in the paint scheme is very well done. So it loses a little rank here but nothing to terrible and definitely nothing someone who can wield a paint brush cant touch up without to much hassle.

Design: 10/10
Nothing in the conceptual aesthetics do this piece any injustice. Artistically its a masterpiece of creativity and imagination.

Production & Build Quality: 8.5
The build of the statue is great. It has some nice weight to it and is sturdy in construction I would not foresee any problems with leaning or any pieces falling off if bumped. The amount of detail warrants a bit of fragility but that's to be expected. The packaging foam is nicely done and easy to remove and replace as well as the statue itself. It does have quite a few small pieces to configure into their correct places but nothing that would deem instructions necessary. This statue as well as some others like the Boba Fett Mythos have some of the small parts cast in which seems like more of a plastic than polystone and they have some production issues.

The Cycler rifle scope is not straight it has a bad bend to it I think from being removed or handled from the mold before it was cool or had a chance to solidify. the rifle itself also has a bend to it. The Boba Fett Mythos rifle also has this production flaw at least in the one that i own so it seems to be something that might be commonly found in these smaller pieces.

As I mentioned in the paint section some of the paint application is a QC issue and just looks like rushed or lazy work at the factory.

There is also another issue with the concept material released and the final product. The first run was depicted with Obi-wans lightsaber hilt hanging from his belt but the statue was never produced with this. Sideshow forgot to remove it or change the photos out to correctly correlate the production piece. So if you thin k your missing a part your not it was never there to begin with. Not an overly huge issue but something I feel is somewhat poor customer service to sell something that is not as pictured and say nothing till after the fact. I believe they did compensate people if you bought your statue from them with a gift certificate or the option to return the statue without incurring shipping costs but dont quote me on that last part.

OVERALL: 9.25
For the most part this statue is a genuine must have for any Star Wars fan. I paid secondary prices for it and it is hard to find but I do not regret spending the money or time for this piece. Hope you enjoyed the review and it can help guide you in your decision to add this piece to your collection. May the force be with you in your endeavor.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

so glad i got this recently
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
so glad i got this recently
That makes two of us! Its pretty amazing. Have to wonder if they could ever really top this design.

Last edited by Sithlord32; 04-22-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Moderated post showing in right hand corner, why?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

def one of SS greatest accomplishments for a statue.
im glad i picked it up when there were some still available at SS.
its def one unique piece that will increase in vale over time.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
def one of SS greatest accomplishments for a statue.
im glad i picked it up when there were some still available at SS.
its def one unique piece that will increase in vale over time.
True story DM! I agree wish I had had the opportunity to pick one up at retail. Thanks for checking out the review!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

This is a great review. Well done!

If not for the few QC issues mentioned this statue would definitely be a 10 in my book. One of the nicest and most impressive pieces I've seen come out of Sideshow in the past decade.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

One of the best... I'm glad I gone one. And I'm not sure if myc still has the lightsaber kits but it makes it even better with it.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote