Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

All Star Batman

Mods, definitely delete this thread if you already have a lumped Rebirth thread, However I think this book needs it's own thread just because of how great it is ( IMO).

Anyone else reading this story? I personally think that so far this is the best Batman book there has been since the first few issues of the Batman New 52 stuff (court of owls).The relationship that is being explored about Harvey and Bruce, the messed up life that kind of drove a kid like Duke from normal home life to being the partner of one of the greatest detectives known to man, etc. I can't speak for the normal Batman Rebirth Book, but All Star Batman seems to have a level of charm about it as well as a fantastic group of creators.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
ftrez
Nightwing

I'm not won over. But then again, I didn't think Court of Owls was anything to write home about.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I personally enjoyed Court of Owls up until you found out the end game of what Bruce was dealing with when it came to Talon. The art was good, action was intense and the detective work was great as well. What do you look for in a Batman story then? Are you more of a Super Natural Batman fan, I.E. TwoFace injected with Venom and running around doing werid stuff, or Batman taking on impossible characters like he does in JLA.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I haven't loved the book so far. I really hated JRJR's art in the Two Face arc and detested the Batman 66 unique gadget tropes that miraculously resolved every situation. The first issue of the Freeze arc was equally insane and realistically should have been one issue at best.

I really liked Court of Owls but the more I assess Snyder's work the less I like it. It is nowhere near as strong as his Pre-New 52 Detective run and he is starting to fall prey to the overly high concept storytelling trap like Grant Morrisson IMHO.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardjones View Post
Mods, definitely delete this thread if you already have a lumped Rebirth thread, However I think this book needs it's own thread just because of how great it is ( IMO).

Anyone else reading this story? I personally think that so far this is the best Batman book there has been since the first few issues of the Batman New 52 stuff (court of owls).The relationship that is being explored about Harvey and Bruce, the messed up life that kind of drove a kid like Duke from normal home life to being the partner of one of the greatest detectives known to man, etc. I can't speak for the normal Batman Rebirth Book, but All Star Batman seems to have a level of charm about it as well as a fantastic group of creators.
I do like Duke and his arc but I really hope that he resumes a normal life after rescuing his parents. I really hate the current army of sidekicks in the Bat-Books and would like to see it pared down to Nightwing, a Robin and one Batgirl. Barbra was an infinitely more compelling character as Oracle but, due solely to political correctness issues, I doubt they would go back.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I haven't loved the book so far. I really hated JRJR's art in the Two Face arc and detested the Batman 66 unique gadget tropes that miraculously resolved every situation. The first issue of the Freeze arc was equally insane and realistically should have been one issue at best.

I really liked Court of Owls but the more I assess Snyder's work the less I like it. It is nowhere near as strong as his Pre-New 52 Detective run and he is starting to fall prey to the overly high concept storytelling trap like Grant Morrisson IMHO.
I completely agree. JRJR's art was at its worst and, having reread Court of Owls, I agree that's a Snyder's writing is over-rated. I dropped All Star Batman before the first arc even ended.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Das Brutah
The Avengers

JRJr hasn't been good since Layton inked his work years ago. He is a good visual story teller, his art just isn't goid and seems to continue getting worse with time...

Snyder.... I liked Owls story line because it featured dark, weird psychological elements, something I feel is often missing from modern Batman stories. With that said, the brother sent away by the Waynes.... WTF? Really. Horrible. His other story arcs were simply way too long and too over-the-top in terms of scale. Every arc lasts at keast a year, get on with it already. Riddler taking over a city to such a degree not even the military can get in (one of the worst story elements shared in Nolan's final Bats movie). Blah, Blah Blah... not a hater. Just don't like the more recent creative approach to the character.

I love comics. Die hard fan/reader/collector for over 40 years. For the first time in 40 years I do not have a series that I get monthly. It saddens me.... Marvel is doing some really interesting stuff replacing older heroes with newer versions. I don't think the older versions back. I get that It's probably the right thing to do help bring in new fans. I just don't identify with the characters....
Das Brutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Brutah View Post
JRJr hasn't been good since Layton inked his work years ago. He is a good visual story teller, his art just isn't goid and seems to continue getting worse with time...

Snyder.... I liked Owls story line because it featured dark, weird psychological elements, something I feel is often missing from modern Batman stories. With that said, the brother sent away by the Waynes.... WTF? Really. Horrible. His other story arcs were simply way too long and too over-the-top in terms of scale. Every arc lasts at keast a year, get on with it already. Riddler taking over a city to such a degree not even the military can get in (one of the worst story elements shared in Nolan's final Bats movie). Blah, Blah Blah... not a hater. Just don't like the more recent creative approach to the character.

I love comics. Die hard fan/reader/collector for over 40 years. For the first time in 40 years I do not have a series that I get monthly. It saddens me.... Marvel is doing some really interesting stuff replacing older heroes with newer versions. I don't think the older versions back. I get that It's probably the right thing to do help bring in new fans. I just don't identify with the characters....
I am with you here. I think I can understand why they can't just create new characters and write them good and make us forget about the older main stay heroes, but I really don't get behind marvel when they drastically change the original hero into someone completely different and back track on that change when they have a new movie (I.E. Bucky Cap). For example, why does RiRi Williams have to be Ironman? Why couldn't RiRi create a much better suit and just be a completely different character that was incubated in an awesome swan song Iron Man story.

Anyway, I will probably continue to collect All Star Batman up to issue 12, but so far the Covers have been amazing and the story arcs I am fine with. As much as I would love to see a more Detective Batman being written like in the 80s, I don't think we will see a story like that for a long time ( Unless I am missing out on another book).