Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #1341
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Surprised at the price and the lack of rhyme or reason on how things like that are determined nowadays.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:05 AM   #1342
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Supergirl was first revealed last June, so if no tweaks were made, she should have gone up for preorder in August. I'm betting Sideshow just stuck with the pricing that would have been in effect back then. There would be no good reason to raise the price on this PF just because it was delayed due to a slight design change.
bdlovelace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 AM   #1343
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
I'm not buying it because I'm not into superhero pieces any more, but if I still were I totally would, and I think this'll be a sought-after piece. Mark my words.
Yes it will if it's the only 1/4 supergirl ever made.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #1344
lewisnfro86
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
Supergirl was first revealed last June, so if no tweaks were made, she should have gone up for preorder in August.
Tweaks were made to her left arm.

Last edited by lewisnfro86; 03-11-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: misunderstood, reading is hard
lewisnfro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #1345
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

I'm just saying that if SS had released Supergirl "as is" when she was revealed last year, we would have seen her up for preorder by August. But obviously, the design changes we see now are the reason for her delay.

But it's probably true about the pricing. We see that fact reflected in the price. That's why Gamora was released at a whopping $500 and Supergirl is $75 less. Gamora was later on the release schedule along with other PF's that had a price hike, generally around the same reveal date window. It all depends on when a tiered pricing change is slated to take effect. The company I work for employs a similar pricing strategy. A delay in the release date, for whatever reason, is a non value added activity to the end customer and thus should not impact price. A company worth their salt knows this. It appears SS is worth their salt because they didn't raise the price on this piece to the "now standard" price of $500.

It's just my opinion that SS stuck to the tiered pricing structure they had in place at the time Supergirl was originally slated to go up for preorder. No one really knows for sure, but it would be a reasonable assumption as to why she is priced at $425 and not $500.

Okay, I'm done. This post has become way too long. LOL!
bdlovelace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #1346
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

looking at the supergirl credit page, i am surprised mark newman sculpted this. He is one of the best female sculpter out there yet the supergirl face is completely off, makes her look 20 years older than she really is, and no amount of repaint can change that. The neck is also abnormally long.

Not sure what went wrong here...
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #1347
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Spent the last 10 minutes looking at the preview, mulling it over, flipping between buy it or don't buy it.

I really want a SG, but I just can't pull the trigger. To me, the bodysculpt looks fantastic, but the left arm/hand, head and base is just killing it for me. And even if the price was $350, I would still balk at the idea of buying.

Hope this gets a re-visit in years to come with a new sculpt.
Just wait to see what Prime 1 does with their DC license. Might come out with an impressive Supergirl.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #1348
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
looking at the supergirl credit page, i am surprised mark newman sculpted this. He is one of the best female sculpter out there yet the supergirl face is completely off, makes her look 20 years older than she really is, and no amount of repaint can change that.
Do we know that Newman did the profile? He's 1 of 3 sculptors listed on this piece.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #1349
Shoo
Hercules

Pretty sure the head sculpt is Harbottle's. Like it or not (I do) it's a realistic portrait, which is his signature.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #1350
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I'm so curious to see how many there will be. Think the consensus of this forum holds true? She's a very popular character so we'll certainly know.
Given the somewhat low price and the fact that a lot of people seem to be content with ordering this even tho they aren't really happy with it...well, I suspect this piece will still wind up selling well. Maybe not as well as some of thier other pieces, but I don't think its going to sell nearly as bad as many were thinking originally. I am betting this has an EX of 1500 and a regualr edition of 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
looking at the supergirl credit page, i am surprised mark newman sculpted this. He is one of the best female sculpter out there yet the supergirl face is completely off, makes her look 20 years older than she really is, and no amount of repaint can change that. The neck is also abnormally long.

Not sure what went wrong here...
I am pretty sure Newman didn't sculpt the head. I am fairly certain he just did the body and the body is by far the best aspect of this piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Just wait to see what Prime 1 does with their DC license. Might come out with an impressive Supergirl.
Prime 1 rarely disappoints. One way or the other, I have absolutely no doubt that thier Supergirl will be light years better than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
I'm just saying that if SS had released Supergirl "as is" when she was revealed last year, we would have seen her up for preorder by August. But obviously, the design changes we see now are the reason for her delay.

But it's probably true about the pricing. We see that fact reflected in the price. That's why Gamora was released at a whopping $500 and Supergirl is $75 less. Gamora was later on the release schedule along with other PF's that had a price hike, generally around the same reveal date window. It all depends on when a tiered pricing change is slated to take effect. The company I work for employs a similar pricing strategy. A delay in the release date, for whatever reason, is a non value added activity to the end customer and thus should not impact price. A company worth their salt knows this. It appears SS is worth their salt because they didn't raise the price on this piece to the "now standard" price of $500.

It's just my opinion that SS stuck to the tiered pricing structure they had in place at the time Supergirl was originally slated to go up for preorder. No one really knows for sure, but it would be a reasonable assumption as to why she is priced at $425 and not $500.

Okay, I'm done. This post has become way too long. LOL!
I am not buying this for a second. I have no doubt the reason this is $425 and not $500 is becasue of all of the criticism, not when the statue was originally conceived or meant to come to market. Sideshow knows full well that if they priced this at $500, many of the people on the fence, which is a considerable number of people, would have wound up opting out. This was a very smart move by Sideshow as sales would have no doubt been FAR worse had they priced this at $500. Again, I don't buy for a second that it has to do with anything but the overall responce to this statue.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote