Do you think the hobby is dying?

Has the "bubble" begun to burst?

Why so? Why not?
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Not from my perspective. I'm still buying. But I do think the larger sizes are limiting what many collectors can purchase. Sure there are some who have much more room than the average collector and can get many pieces but i think that's more the exception than the rule.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
toty21
The Avengers

I think once manufacturing prices rise enough in China that it offsets the threshold most collectors are truly willing to pay, then the "collectibles industry" will become unsustainable. If you look at the current trajectory, which is not budging, the fracturing is imminent.
Collectors of these kinds of items are for the most part not wealthy individuals, so I believe we are not too far off that bubble burst.
toty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

I think it's dying and thriving all at the same time.

Kinda like a Zombie. Not totally alive, but definately not dead.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

People are being priced out more than the hobby is dying, meaning ppl are still interested in the hobby but cant afford it, or soon wont be able to.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by toty21 View Post
I think once manufacturing prices rise enough in China that it offsets the threshold most collectors are truly willing to pay, then the "collectibles industry" will become unsustainable. If you look at the current trajectory, which is not budging, the fracturing is imminent.
Collectors of these kinds of items are for the most part not wealthy individuals, so I believe we are not too far off that bubble burst.
I completely agree.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
adee
Green Arrow

I'll always collect in some capacity but quarter scale collecting is coming to a close for me due to space and prices. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, companies do seem to be trending to smaller scales so I'm sure I'll always have something to blow my money on.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

The hobby is not even close to being dead. I can see it changing slightly but that has been happening for the last 10 years. Sizes, ES, scale, prices, etc. will all move to where demand goes and opportunity knocks. As long as the subject matter is still thriving (which it is), companies will find a way to satisfy consumer demands.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Python
Omega Red

In terms of higher end statues, I think it has a while left, most of us on here are presumably still able to afford these things, all be it I've completely cut out all impulse purchases and even buy a lot less from my favorite licenses. But some of the prices we've seen lately have been fairly shocking, the star wars/Deadpool PF's and the Wolf Predator LSB etc. Even in a hobby for which we've been accustomed to high prices. I fear if they don't get the pricing under control soon, it probably won't be long. Another factor is the sheer amount of competition now, we're spoiled for choice with incredible companies like Prime 1 and ECC on the scene. You'd think this competition would have kept prices competitive, but it just hasn't. The real nail in the coffin is the shipping prices which have almost doubled in recent months, and of course some of us have to pay import duty which adds at least 20% of the total cost (including shipping) It's just all adding up too much.

It think we're quickly heading towards Sideshow having customers exclusively in the USA where the customer base can keep up for longer, the free US shipping for example aids this while stamping the nail in to the rest of us a little more while we already have the odds stacked against us. And the same for other companies in their respective regions. I hope things change for the better soon, or at least stabalise. The last year or so is the first time I've genuinely been worried about the hobby I've loved for the last 15 years or so.

All of that said, maybe the fact I (and apparently many other long term collectors) are finally on the verge of being priced out, doesn't reflect on the hobby as a whole. I'm sure there's a world of rich kids out there waiting to discover this game. Maybe the customer base is simply shifting rather than dying.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
ukshaun
Hercules

The speed at which XM Studios statues sell paints a picture of a buoyant market.

The quality and quantity (different lines) of pieces Prime1 are releasing I would imagine are giving other companies the Heebie-jeebies.

I am quite new to the hobby and have slowed down due to a number of factors, space, money, having the statues I want. There are still statues i want, but they sell for too high price on ebay. The plan is to make space, and order atleast one statue per year. At the moment, I have 2 on pre-order, and 1 more to order. I might give it a rest

For all those that abandoned the hobby, there will always be new-comers.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote