Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #1971
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Is the real issue with these meh designs the licensing hurdle? I mean, independent artists out there just blow away a lot of what Sideshow does. I smell opportunity for an aggressive company willing to risk it in this statue bubble. Didn't Prime 1 tap into some outside talent for their Arkham line?
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #1972
AC_808
Hercules

Since SSC already sneaked a couple of pics, SSC should just come out and release all the pics of this statue. Nothing to lose by doing that.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #1973
ctuckr68
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Since SSC already sneaked a couple of pics, SSC should just come out and release all the pics of this statue. Nothing to lose by doing that.
Agreed.
ctuckr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #1974
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
Is the real issue with these meh designs the licensing hurdle? I mean, independent artists out there just blow away a lot of what Sideshow does. I smell opportunity for an aggressive company willing to risk it in this statue bubble. Didn't Prime 1 tap into some outside talent for their Arkham line?
I don't think it has anything to do with licensing issues. At the risk of seeming like an XM "groupy", go look at their X-Men 1:4 line. Dark Phoenix, Magneto, Storm are all dynamic. Look outside of X-Men and check out their Samurai Batman line - Batgirl is stunning and has a great action pose. I really also dig most of the Spider-Man Rogues.

The "meh" designs are all in what SS wants to give its buyers and they want to reach the mass markets. As long as the company doesn't show a gun pointed at a person, something being impaled, or anything that is overly violent/sexualized it can almost always be done. IMO this is one of the reason that SS will never let go of their exclusive 1:4 licenses within North America -- they would lose a large chunk of buyers to any company putting out a more dynamic piece.

But I'm not sure why the "meh" poses would be mentioned in this thread. Magneto looks pretty dynamic to me :shrug:
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #1975
nyvega002
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I know a lot of people weren't happy with the original cape (the last concerning issue of the original design), but the new one looks too short.
nyvega002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #1976
Vince_be
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvega002 View Post
I know a lot of people weren't happy with the original cape (the last concerning issue of the original design), but the new one looks too short.
Yeah i agree, the cape isn't on point yet...
Vince_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #1977
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with licensing issues. At the risk of seeming like an XM "groupy", go look at their X-Men 1:4 line. Dark Phoenix, Magneto, Storm are all dynamic. Look outside of X-Men and check out their Samurai Batman line - Batgirl is stunning and has a great action pose. I really also dig most of the Spider-Man Rogues.

The "meh" designs are all in what SS wants to give its buyers and they want to reach the mass markets. As long as the company doesn't show a gun pointed at a person, something being impaled, or anything that is overly violent/sexualized it can almost always be done. IMO this is one of the reason that SS will never let go of their exclusive 1:4 licenses within North America -- they would lose a large chunk of buyers to any company putting out a more dynamic piece.

But I'm not sure why the "meh" poses would be mentioned in this thread. Magneto looks pretty dynamic to me :shrug:
I would agree that XM Dark Phoenix, Magneto, and Storm are not only dynamic but look great! The Wolverine is the weakest link there in my opinion.

So if licensing is not a hurdle, then are they just getting lazy? With control over 1/4 licensing they are really doing a disservice to fans. What is interesting is for the DC new 52 line Prime 1 has helped that side bring some new blood into the fray. Hopefully we can see Prime 1 helping with more marvel pieces beyond the Spider-verse line and maybe even a Magneto.

As for the dynamic-ness of this Magneto, this looks like any other Kotobukiya (I do like Koto no hate!) style which looks ok on the shelf at sub $200 but for the price this will probably go for, weak sauce.

So let's take a look...

Kotobukiya

Sideshow

XM

Sideshow. Meh.
That XM piece just brings tears to my eyes. Want so bad!
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #1978
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

More food for thought brought to you by Iron Studios;

Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #1979
FJC
Midnighter

I have the Koto and XM Mags. They are both easily my 2 favorite Mags statues. The only other two I really like is the custom 1/4 Bel and 1/6 IS Mags. The PF really has jumped up for me with the changes made though. My biggest gripe now is that it isn't a classic Mags and has a cloth cape. However, to be fair, the XM Mags isn't in his classic costume either. XM took liberties with the classic Mags costume as well so I can't be too hard on SS with their Mags PF.

Bottom line is that there are now plenty of good Mags statues in various scales that anybody can add to their collections. I'm impressed with the fact that SS listened to their customers and made some much needed tweaks to the PF. There's no doubt in my mind that it ended with a far better statue for their customers. That said, there's still an unfulfilled demand for a licensed classic 1/4 Mags (and Deathstroke).
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #1980
adee
Green Arrow

I like museum/semi museum poses more than action poses. I just prefer how that looks when multiple pieces are displayed near each other so ultra dynamic poses don't do a whole lot for me.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote