Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #291
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Well, that’s a matter of experience and personal opinion. For example, I like C-3PO because I grew up watching the original trilogy. I do not care much about Jar Jar and find him annoying at times, but my wife loves him. She thinks he is adorable. My wife never watched the original trilogy as a kid. She never watched the prequels as a young adult. She thought of Star Wars as a very depressing story full of people dying (her actual comment). Before TFA came out, I convinced her to watch the entire series with me following Lucas’ intended order. She fell in love with Jar Jar right away. To be honest I couldn’t understand why.

Now, and after some careful thought, I have come to the conclusion that nostalgia plays a big part in the way we see things. Star Wars was my childhood. I love every minute of it. It was perfect to me and still is. However, my wife does not share my views. To her, Star Wars is just another overhyped movie franchise with no happy ending. She even considers Rogue One’s tragic finale another clear example of her personal belief. To me, it was poetic. Simply perfect.
Similar situation with me and my fiancé that backs up what you’re saying. She hadn’t seen the SW films when we got together. Blew my mind but it was fun to binge watch the Saga from Ep 1-6 for her first viewing and get her uninfluenced opinion on the films. Overall she thought the PT was better than the OT but agreed with me that ESB was likely the best film. TPM was her second favorite and she had no issues with JJB. She found ROTS to be very dark & depressing. ROTJ was her least favorite due to the Ewoks overthrowing of the Empire on the moon of Endor.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #292
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Similar situation with me and my fiancé that backs up what you’re saying. She hadn’t seen the SW films when we got together. Blew my mind but it was fun to binge watch the Saga from Ep 1-6 for her first viewing and get her uninfluenced opinion on the films. Overall she thought the PT was better than the OT but agreed with me that ESB was likely the best film. TPM was her second favorite and she had no issues with JJB. She found ROTS to be very dark & depressing. ROTJ was her least favorite due to the Ewoks overthrowing of the Empire on the moon of Endor.
Just like my wife. Funny how women who do not know each other can easily agree more than men. It really speaks volumes of our combative spirit. Adding to what you said earlier, my daughter who is now 18, prefers this new saga. She loves Rey and dislikes Rogue One. She found the ending too depressing. It definitely shows that Rogue One was written with an older audience in mind. All of these show that our preference in Star Wars depends heavily in our particular generation. I’m sure that the next trilogy will have the same effect.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #293
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain81 View Post
But what rationales it for me though is that Jar Jar wasn't some character who was goofy and stupid with no reason. His own race hated him, and the fact that he screwed everything up and made his race look bad. He was intentionally the black sheep of his race, yet his goofiness and stupidity is what inherently saved their necks at the end of the movie. Its like the saying 'Even a broken clock is right twice a day' I didn't mind his character, and i still don't.

And you say he was incomprehensible? What about times gwhere c3po says things like 'I beg your pardon? Oh my goodness, oh!' in reply to r2d2 which we have no idea what he said. Same sort of issue of incomprehension. But each to their own, peace.
The HUGE difference is R2-D2 doesn't speak English, Jar Jar does but he mumbles and slurs everything... Anyways your defiantly in the minority if you like Jar Jar Binks, It's not just the older generation who hates him, it's pretty much all generations... He's pretty much universally disliked...

Quote:
Just like my wife. Funny how women who do not know each other can easily agree more than men. It really speaks volumes of our combative spirit. Adding to what you said earlier, my daughter who is now 18, prefers this new saga. She loves Rey and dislikes Rogue One. She found the ending too depressing. It definitely shows that Rogue One was written with an older audience in mind. All of these show that our preference in Star Wars depends heavily in our particular generation. I’m sure that the next trilogy will have the same effect.
I don't think it is a generation thing, my niece who is now 14 loved Rey in TFA but disliked TLJ... I remember her saying when the credits started to roll "This movie sucked".... My 19 year old nephew who has had star wars toys since he was 4 years old and watch all of the movies a gazillion times hated TFA and TLJ... he thought the stories were lame... And both of them hate Jar Jar.... And I've never heard them say they hated R2-D2 or C-3PO... given the amount of toys and statues made of C-3PO and R2-D2 and the very few of Jar Jar, that kind of speaks volumes...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #294
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
The HUGE difference is R2-D2 doesn't speak English, Jar Jar does but he mumbles and slurs everything... Anyways your defiantly in the minority if you like Jar Jar Binks, It's not just the older generation who hates him, it's pretty much all generations... He's pretty much universally disliked...
It depends who you ask. I am not a fan either, but I don’t consider him an aberration. He is just part of a different planetary race. English is definitely not his first language.

Quote:
I don't think it is a generation thing, my niece who is now 14 loved Rey in TFA but disliked TLJ... I remember her saying when the credits started to roll "This movie sucked".... My 19 year old nephew who has had star wars toys since he was 4 years old and watch all of the movies a gazillion times hated TFA and TLJ... he thought the stories were lame... And both of them hate Jar Jar.... And I've never heard them say they hated R2-D2 or C-3PO... given the amount of toys and statues made of C-3PO and R2-D2 and the very few of Jar Jar, that kind of speaks volumes...
It is, whether we like to admit or not. The difference between your nephew and my daughter is conditioning. Your nephew has been conditioned since an early age to love the original trilogy. He has nostalgic memories of watching the movies and playing the toys. My daughter on the other hand has none of it. She did not watch the movies as a child and she certainly did not play with the toys. She sees the movies from an unbiased perspective. Now, there is nothing wrong with nostalgia. We are all conditioned by it in one way, shape or form. However, this can also be a limitation for us to see outside our preconceived notions.

I am not going to tell you that I was crazy for the TFA or the TLJ at first. However, they have grown on me over time. In my opinion, Lucas Film played it safe with the Force Awakens. It is technically a revision of past events in the series but with new characters. Now, TLJ was a clear departure from the status quo. It was a bold and clever move regardless of the backlash. It took me days to really comprehend it all, but in the end, I believe it to be a necessity to push the franchise forward.

Now, Rogue One and Solo felt very familiar to me. They both had that old Star Wars feel. Unfortunately, many did not see it blinded by their own rage against the sequels. In my opinion, they are letting their emotions guide them trough the maze, and in the process they are missing out big time. I rather have an open mind than hold on to grudges.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #295
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
It depends who you ask. I am not a fan either, but I don’t consider him an aberration. He is just part of a different planetary race. English is definitely not his first language.
You're talking to a brick wall lol
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #296
off
The X-Men

Lots of mental gymnastics one has to go through to convince themselves to like TLJ.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #297
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
Lots of mental gymnastics one has to go through to convince themselves to like TLJ.
None needed for me. Liked it the first time I saw it and appreciated the bold move to take the narrative in a new direction especially after TFA recycled everything. That said I’m not one of those fans that gets butt hurt when a character’s arc doesn’t play out the way I envisioned it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #298
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
None needed for me. Liked it the first time I saw it and appreciated the bold move to take the narrative in a new direction especially after TFA recycled everything. That said I’m not one of those fans that gets butt hurt when a character’s arc doesn’t play out the way I envisioned it.
Bold move to take the narrative in a new direction. What direction is that? As far as I can tell there was no direction at all which is why the movie sucked and everyone hated it. People want to see things that aren't there, they feel it will separate them and make them real frontiersmen, someone who "gets it" someone "ahead of the curve".
The joke however is there's nothing to "get".

Meanwhile those "butt hurt fans" the fans that buy products and you know.....keep the franchise afloat (money for movie tickets are a drop in the bucket compared to merchandise)....said F#ck off to Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy and their "bold new direction" . LOL
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #299
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I don't get butt hurt, I just refuse to consume every single product anymore like I used to. Discerning. If others enjoy, great enjoy. I'll wait for something I can enjoy too. But don't assume some fragile butt hurt condition every time someone rejects. The Cassian Andor series sounds interesting since Rogue One I deeply appreciated.
I'm waiting for this new trilogy to peter out and see where they go next.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #300
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Bold move to take the narrative in a new direction. What direction is that? As far as I can tell there was no direction at all which is why the movie sucked and everyone hated it. People want to see things that aren't there, they feel it will separate them and make them real frontiersmen, someone who "gets it" someone "ahead of the curve".
The joke however is there's nothing to "get".

Meanwhile those "butt hurt fans" the fans that buy products and you know.....keep the franchise afloat (money for movie tickets are a drop in the bucket compared to merchandise)....said F#ck off to Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy and their "bold new direction" . LOL
Yep.
off is offline   Reply With Quote