Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #31
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Glad everyone is so pleased with what Bowen has been producing as there is some great stuff but does everyone here still intend to continue to buy at a higher price?

I got the Classic Rogue. It is so nice.
I almost paid $225 a year ago but put it off. If I had paid that much for such small statue I would not have been happy.
Mojo is awesome. The $320 I paid shipped is just slightly too much in my mind but he just about takes up as much room as 1/4 so I am happy with it.

So I guess price is the other side of the equation that makes me doubt I would be able to join in on the jubilation of the return to production. No one here seems to be discussing that too much.
I'll be picking some up here and there and I realize I'll have to pay more to get the rarer ones.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #32
eljefe1981
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.
Adamantium Plus Member

Yes the price is high but you get better quality control I never had a bowen statue delivered to me broken unlike SS my only problem if it is a problem is the edition number it went from being 500 to some being 3500 that is where I would not pay as much for a statue that has a run of 3500 I would spend the money on one that is limited to 450 but doesn't have like 60 AP's out there that's my thought
eljefe1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #33
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

What do I think Bowen could do to remain competitive? One, stay in this scale - no need to adjust sizes to complete with SS, XM etc, that's not his market.

Two, get a DC license. If this happened, he would leap back I to the front of the line when it comes to comic statue conversation, IMHO. Some resin DC stuff in that scale, would be great.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #34
qz33
Rescue

Yes I got both the Jean Grey and Storm Punk online for more than I wished I could but I was allright as they were APs and have a following.

For the money I think Mojo, the Thor Action, both of Khurram Alavi's Thanos, and M.O.D.O.K. are really something special. I would love to see more things like this from Bowen.

Also really like all of Mike Cusanelli's ladies and would love to see more and even some larger examples of his work.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #35
Conehead
Luke Cage

Quote:
Yes I got both the Jean Grey and Storm Punk online for more than I wished I could but I was allright as they were APs and have a following.

For the money I think Mojo, the Thor Action, both of Khurram Alavi's Thanos, and M.O.D.O.K. are really something special. I would love to see more things like this from Bowen.

Also really like all of Mike Cusanelli's ladies and would love to see more and even some larger examples of his work.
yeah the Kucharek Brothers Mojo and Modok are somthing special.....The level of hand sculpting combined with that level of fabrication preformed ,well there's nothing quite like it them in the whole BD line.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #36
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Love his stuff. I like him to do a FS Firestar or Mystique.
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #37
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Curious as to where that opinion is coming from? I havent seen it, but I havent looked for it either, so not saying it isnt there. I just cant fathom a pop culture fan paying a thousand dollars for a Magneto statue or seven hundred bucks for a Gladiator Hulk "just cause." The flippers? Sure, I can see them doing it thinking they can turn a profit. I just find it hard to see someone spending that kind of money on something they arent emotionally attached to.
I can say I am one of the people he talks about and he is correct.Same reason why the court of dead is set to do well.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #38
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Curious as to where that opinion is coming from? I havent seen it, but I havent looked for it either, so not saying it isnt there. I just cant fathom a pop culture fan paying a thousand dollars for a Magneto statue or seven hundred bucks for a Gladiator Hulk "just cause." The flippers? Sure, I can see them doing it thinking they can turn a profit. I just find it hard to see someone spending that kind of money on something they arent emotionally attached to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I think hardcore statue collectors often start out collecting their favorite characters, but they eventually branch out and start buying pieces they don't necessarily have a personal connection to, but that appeal to them as art. With Sideshow's myriad of licenses, there is a lot of back-and-forth crossover, whereas with Bowen, all they've ever done is comic based stuff, so it's natural that Bowen fans are largely constituted of comic fans, whereas Sideshow are all over the place. Maybe they started out with classic monsters, or Predator, or Terminator, etc, etc, and branched out to Marvel or DC.

Just as an example, I highly doubt that the Red Sonja PF sold 1500 EXs to lifelong fans of the character.
I couldn't say it better myself. Thanks for the input, COI.

Collectors nowadays have a broader outlook of the hobby and this crossover appeal is clearly more evident among the Sideshow, PopCultureshock, ARH, XM, etc fanbase. This is not necessarily a bad thing but a true reflection of our times. After all, consumers dictate market behavior. Companies cater to the demand because it makes financial sense.

Now, when I mention that collectors of these companies are mainly pop culture aficionados, I am not trying to denigrate them or diminish their importance. I consider myself one of them but not to the extend of some hardcore fans. I am guilty of spending thousands of dollars over the years on characters that I had no connection whatsoever, just based solely on the art appeal. Not only that, I have purchased pieces of unappealing comic characters, just to complete my collection display. For example, I am not a fan of villains but I buy them when necessary. It is the completist in me.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #39
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
This is a great point. There definitely seems to be a lot more crossover appeal when it comes to Sideshow and their pieces. As you say, people are coming into the comic sphere from collecting movie pieces or other mediums, and I've noticed that a lot of the people collecting the comic pieces reference either modern books or vintage cartoons, with references to vintage comics being much less frequent.

Nothing wrong with it per-se, but it's an interesting observation. I'm a vintage comic fan, but I'm also a 1/4 scale collector for the most part, and there are fewer options. Then again, 1/4 take up so much room that I'm not even sure what having an extensive 1/4 classic Marvel roster would accomplish, other than making it extremely difficult for me to decide what to buy. So if Bowen comes back I think they should serve their fan base and just keep doing what they've done.
Nowadays, it is good to be a collector due to the incredible array of collectible lines available in the market. There is something for everyone. It is not good for the wallet but it is definitely good to have options.

Now, my only beef with the industry and the hobby in general, is the effect that this crossover appeal has in the art itself. Let me be more specific. When the hobby was making baby steps, back in the garage kit era, the art was focused on translating comicbook characters from the pages to the statue form. Now, the hobby and the majority of collectors are searching for glorified versions of these characters that are not based in comicbook lore, but rather based on random art. Art that is not canonical to any era of comics in particular.

I do not blame people for having their own personal vision of a character. We all do and our desires and needs should be met; but it is kinda sad to see companies and artists trying to become genies ready to act to our command. The constant bickering about the hair, the eyes, the butt, the size of the head, etc. could be laughable, but also tiresome. I am not a purist but a fundamentalist. In my opinion, some things should be left to the interpretation of the artist.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #40
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Glad everyone is so pleased with what Bowen has been producing as there is some great stuff but does everyone here still intend to continue to buy at a higher price?

I got the Classic Rogue. It is so nice.
I almost paid $225 a year ago but put it off. If I had paid that much for such small statue I would not have been happy.
Mojo is awesome. The $320 I paid shipped is just slightly too much in my mind but he just about takes up as much room as 1/4 so I am happy with it.

So I guess price is the other side of the equation that makes me doubt I would be able to join in on the jubilation of the return to production. No one here seems to be discussing that too much.
The price increase is across the board. There was a time when you could purchase a Sideshow statue for $200. Now, $500 or even $800 do not cut it. Back when I started, I never spent more than a $100 on any given piece. Prices will continue to rise due to the cost of manufacturing, shipping, storing, import duties and taxes. It is the nature of the beast.