Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #241
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Not a chance it's the final time. If you're reading the current Batman title you can infer the fate of The Joker as being the same as Bruce.
Of course it will not be the last...Joker's Immortal, silly.

Last edited by wktf; 09-23-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected sentence for proper grammar, removed the "stick" to respect mod status. (Heh)
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #242
risingstar
Jedi Order

Wolverine - "Goes to Hell" By Jason Aaron and Renato Guedes. I've never really been a fan of these adventures in Hell storylines as it asks way too much suspension of disbelief from me. I gave it a shot because of the writer -- but it didn't make much of a difference. The parts which didn't take place in Hell were better. The artwork was above average. Verdict: Not recommended. Stay out of Hell, Marvel. Satan gets beaten every single time.

5/10

Wolverine - "Wolverine's revenge" By Jason Aaron and Renato Guedes and Goran Sudzuka. It can't be easy scribing tales for a character whose legend has reached the point where he's virtually impossible to kill, or even hurt. Yet, Jason Aaron nonetheless found a way to get to the man who is the best at what he does. While we do receive some new insights on Wolverine, it still didn't quite reach the mark where I'd want to reread this collection of stories. Verdict: Not recommended. Marvel needs to find a way to make Wolverine more vulnerable again. He's practically omnipotent now which pretty much takes all the risk away from his storylines. The only thing at stake is hurting people he cares about. However, that's not Jason Aaron's fault.

6/10

P.S. I should add -- both these collections were quite dark and gloomy and not very much fun to read. I'm sorely missing the thrilling sense of adventure comics used to have. I mean, writers do not need to drive characters to their psychological breaking points to tell a compelling story. That's just not entertaining comics, at least not for me.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #243
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
Of course it will not be the last...Joker's Immortal, silly.
So, instead of a comment you just remove the happy face icon because you think I was showing disrespect and now you are the grammar Police...here is your disrespect ... FU Mod.

Last edited by wktf; Yesterday at 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected sentence for proper grammar, removed the "stick" to respect mod status. (Heh) <---- and this shows respect.....Last Laugh goes to you apparently.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #244
risingstar
Jedi Order

Amazing X-Men - "The quest for Nightcrawler" by Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness. Our heroes are once again in Hell doing what they always do, which is make it look like Hell has a revolving door where heroes can be brought back from the dead whenever the mood strikes them. While McGuinness' artwork was quite good as usual and some of the banter shared between the leads had some fun moments, overall this is yet another long drawn out and easily forgetful story. Do the denizens of Hell ever win any battles or manage to keep hold of any superheroes? Why is it that dead heroes are always so easily found? Don't like a gajillion souls live there? You'd think it was virtually impossible. Why do the heroes who end up in Hell seem so nonchalant about being there?

This trade collects issues 1-6. Verdict: Save your money. By the time I finished this book, I just felt irritated by having lost all that time thinking/hoping I was going to read something resembling the quality of Thor: God of Thunder. Not in the slightest. I've been picking up Jason Aaron's Thor and it's been nothing short of outstanding, even though it generally concentrates heavily on the loss of religious faith and god worship. However, the Wolverine and X-Men trades I've read have been really subpar by comparison. If I didn't see Jason Aaron's name on the cover, I wouldn't have believed it he was the author. There are times where it seems like he uses these books to purge his seemingly boundless preoccupation with religion, specifically Hell. It's become quite tiresome and self-indulgent already. I mean, it's 2015. Who the frak cares?

I was considering picking up Jason Aaron's work on Ghost Rider but guess what -- the storyline follows Ghost Rider's journey though, you guess it, Hell. Good grief. I'll pass.

5/10
Old 09-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #245
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I just finished Marvel's reprints of Alan Moore's Miracleman #1-16. What an Incredible story. The art sagged a bit in the middle, but the writing was so good, I'll give this a perfect score anyway. One of the best, if not the best superhero book I've ever read. 10/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 AM   #246
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, instead of a comment you just remove the happy face icon because you think I was showing disrespect and now you are the grammar Police...here is your disrespect ... FU Mod.

Last edited by wktf; Yesterday at 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected sentence for proper grammar, removed the "stick" to respect mod status. (Heh) <---- and this shows respect.....Last Laugh goes to you apparently.
Oh, my Lord. Was just having a little light hearted fun. And then"Heh" was to show I only meant fun. My apologies. "FU mod" feels a little extreme but, here, I'll "stick" myself, okay?

Last edited by wktf; 09-30-2015 at 10:42 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #247
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

Go hang on Facebook.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #248
risingstar
Jedi Order

Anyone read Jason Aaron's "Scalped" ?

It took me much longer than usual to get through the first TPB. It was quite dark, gritty, and hopeless, even for Vertigo.

I realize this title was critically acclaimed. I guess it just isn't my thing. While Jason Aaron is clearly a very talented storyteller, I'm just not into books which come off so angry and desperate. However, I typically pick up a comic book to escape and to be transported into a world of wonder and adventure. Jason Aaron's style of writing appears largely marked by despair and hopelessness. Every single character in Scalped appeared astoundingly flawed, corrupt, and cursed to hate virtually every moment of their life experience. There's just so much of that I can take before I'm so utterly turned off that I have to put the book down, even unfinished, which is something I rarely do. It's the equivalent of changing the channel or walking out of the theatre midway through. I actually stopped reading the title three quarters of the way through the second trade paperback. I was done.

Alas, the rough style R.M. Guéra artwork only worsened the reading experience for me. It was just awful. There were moments where you could barely get a sense of what was going on. And, the colorist seemed inexplicably compelled to only use two or three colors throughout the series, which ultimately presented an even greater challenge to grasp the intent of the artwork.

This marks the end of the Jason Aaron books I borrowed from my library. I imagine I'd feel a lot worse if I actually paid for these books. His recent work on Thor, despite my sharp disappointments in his others works, remains among my favorite reads of all time. I'm thankful I read those before his work on Scalped, Wolverine, and X-Men.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #249
risingstar
Jedi Order

Fantastic Four - Season One written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and David Marquez. While I can't pretend to know either the writer and artist of this book, I can say that this was enjoyable retelling of the origin of the Fantastic Four. I hope it continues. The writing could have been a bit more sophisticated but I think Marvel was attempting to draw in younger readers with this graphic novel.

Incidentally, this graphic novel also includes the first issue of Hickman's run where Reed meets up with apparently hundreds of other Reeds from different Earthly dimensions in a secret location in order to come up with a construct which can solve everything. I can't say I was particularly drawn to that storyline...

8/10
Old 10-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #250
risingstar
Jedi Order

Batman - Earth One written by Geoff Johns and pencilled by the incomparable Gary Frank. Now THIS was an entertaining read! I was captivated from page one. Excellent writing alongside sensational artwork. This is a fabulous retelling of the origin of the caped crusader.

Yes, it was dark and gritty - but it was also hopeful. That's the kind of balance very few writers in comics today seem able to maintain. Highly recommended.

9/10