Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Art Stories

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Everything goes great, commission gets done and then-

So one thing I've been questioning to post was a very odd time I got a commission. I won't say character or artist since I don't want to hurt his/her reputation for no big reason but everything in the transaction had gone well the piece was done and I've since received it fine and all. But shortly after seeing the piece posted the artist commented with the post about how awful the character's design was and thinking it was the ugliest outfit he's ever seen on a character.

Now the artwork itself was superb but I feel very weirded out that an artist, any artist would say that about a piece they were hired to draw. I kinda expect artists not to love the characters I'm getting drawn since most are obscure as heck but I dunno it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Has this ever happened to any of you folks?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Fanboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Never had that happen. I've had two artists that have worked on one of my jam pieces rip another artist that was brought up. It was when asked which costume I wanted a character in and I asked for the classic look and they went on to tell me how much they hated the newer version a certain artist was drawing.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I just see both of your examples as being "shop talk"; speaking negatively of costumes and characters is fine, and even LISTENING to you speak of how you feel (positively/negatively) of another artist's style is fine, but... as far as style's concerned, they all know who's Top Billing and who isn't. They shouldn't speak ill of other people in their profession (I guess the exception is if that artist is not putting out the quality work they used to?).

"Don't sh!t where you eat", applies here.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I just see both of your examples as being "shop talk"; speaking negatively of costumes and characters is fine, and even LISTENING to you speak of how you feel (positively/negatively) of another artist's style is fine, but... as far as style's concerned, they all know who's Top Billing and who isn't. They shouldn't speak ill of other people in their profession (I guess the exception is if that artist is not putting out the quality work they used to?).

Rob Leifeld is the exception.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I think that's just professional courtesy. I would hope that unless they have a personal feud, artists would respect each others work (maybe being able to relate to the initial struggles?) enough not to bash it in front of potential clients.

But I see nothing wrong with bashing a costume. We have opinions on ugly costumes all the time. Some are just more outspoken about it than others. It's not really a personal attack of sorts.