Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

DC Comics in Trouble? Losing $2 Million?

www.cosmicbooknews.com is reporting DC Comics is in financial trouble based on the cost of their move to CA and poor sales, and that they're being told to return flagship characters like Superman and Batman to their prior meat-and-potatoes statuses.

While I've stopped buying DC due to their New 52 work that rendered their characters unrecognizable to me, I thought their books were selling in general.

Anyone else see any reports of this?

Last edited by wktf; 08-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
jlaavenger
Blue Falcon

The collected editions department needs help in content and quality.
jlaavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
www.cosmicbooknews.com is reporting DC Comics is in financial trouble based on the cost of their move to CA and poor sales, and that they're being told to return flagship characters like Superman and Batman to their prior meat-and-potatoes statuses.

While I've stopped buying DC due to their New 52 work that rendered their characters unrecognizable to me, I thought their books were selling in general.

Anyone else see any reports of this?
It doesn't sound like it's an end to the New 52 continuity. They just don't want a depowered Superman and a Gordon Batman at this point.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...-for-20142015/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...-and-potatoes/

Last edited by wktf; 08-25-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Fixing my own typo
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

I can't remember the last time I saw someone reading an actual comic book in a park, restaurant, train, anywhere actually... The medium is in major trouble.

What I think can save comics are the following:
1) Make then $1 each. The crazy prices now have all but made sure 99% of fans younger than 30 will never buy one.
2) Bring back single issue and 2-parter storylines. These 6-12 part storyarcs, while okay maybe once every two-three years, are too much to ask of new readers.
3) Comics must meet deadlines. Late books will only result in lost readership
4) Stop with the crossover arcs. Almost all of them are disappointing. The artists and writers tend to despise them anyway.
5) Stop with the constant changes to the characters. Readers need to be able to remain familiar with the characters they read. You have to imagine that every month, someone who hasn't read the book in a year may be picking it up.

Alas, this will fall on deaf ears...
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
kaza5555
New Republic

$2 million is not a lot. At least when I think by hollywood standards.
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaza5555 View Post
$2 million is not a lot. At least when I think by hollywood standards.
Well, this is publishing which normally deals in far lower numbers and much thinner margins relative to Hollywood.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

DC are collectiong a lot of old issues into tpbs. Finally they are collection the Scot McDaniel run into tpbs
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw someone reading an actual comic book in a park, restaurant, train, anywhere actually... The medium is in major trouble.

1) Make then $1 each. The crazy prices now have all but made sure 99% of fans younger than 30 will never buy one.
2) Bring back single issue and 2-parter storylines. These 6-12 part storyarcs, while okay maybe once every two-three years, are too much to ask of new readers.
4) Stop with the crossover arcs. Almost all of them are disappointing. The artists and writers tend to despise them anyway.
5) Stop with the constant changes to the characters. Readers need to be able to remain familiar with the characters they read. You have to imagine that every month, someone who hasn't read the book in a year may be picking it up.

yes to all of this, unfortunately youre right about that last part

stuff like this is why ive shelved my dream of opening my own comic shop
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:

RS...I agree. I think DC needs to hire you in their corporate office so you can get things cleaned up! Then transfer over to Marvel's main office and do the same thing!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:

And stop renumbering the books!
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote