Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #21
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
true, but Batman is always behind the scenes (omnipresent if you will), and superman/WW's presence is nothing short of iconic; while Martain Manhunter, Jordan and flash are never elevated to nothing more than secondary characters, even though they may be shown more, it's still not as big of a presense as the "big three"...
man, I sure did get a very different version of this than you two did then.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
man, I sure did get a very different version of this than you two did then.
You know, it's not that I always "gotta disagree," I'm not looking to disagree, it's just that most times I do disagree with your view point. It's not personal. It just usually seems to be the case.

I would encourage you to reread The New Frontier having read my and Sam's comments and see if you see our points.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:25 AM   #23
bat_collector
Galactus

how about we all agree to love the series for whatever reason we love it!

I see New frontier as a celebration of the DC universe, showing that they are more than just batman/supers/ww trinity.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #24
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:

I see New frontier as a celebration of the DC universe, showing that they are more than just batman/supers/ww trinity.

or here is a thought, just because we disagree, doen't mean anyone is wrong. There are always several ways to see the same thing (didn't you ever read the old japanese story "Rashoman" mike?" Akira Kursawa also made it into a movie...).

I'm just looking forward to that absolute edition. Never bought the tpb's cause I new something better was coming out.

Oh yeah, but for the record, you're wrong and joe and I are right.

by the way, that is a sweet banner.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

I agree with this completely. I also agree with Sam's point, two different opinions doesn't mean either is wrong. Just two different opinions.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Picked up the Absolute Edition yesterday and read the story for the first time. I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would have. The covers are misleading in that the JLA is only in about 20% of the story and it just wasn't what I expected. I did like the focus on Hal, Barry and J'Onn in the later chapters but besides that I was almost bored. Its a fine story, just before my time.

I love Cooke's art as well as the scene with Supes and Diana on paradise island. Hopefully Cooke will do something with a more modern take in the future.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Sorry you didn't like it. This story really tries to accomplish two things at a high level, much more as you dive deeper into it. But, first, to integrate the dawn of the DC silver age with actual events in the U.S. at that time in the early sixties, to show how those actual events influence the dawn of the DC Silver Age. Second, to tell the story of the creation of the JLA, and how all those events influenced the creation of the JLA.

So, those covers are symbolic of the climax of the series. And the focus on the more secondary characters (anyone beyond the big three) really enriched the entire story.

Of course, the title was taken from President Kennedy's famous speech. I'm sorry you felt that because the story was before your time it was boring to you, or that it wasn't what you expected. That's unfortunate but, clearly, it didn't work for you. I loved it but, then, I grew up during the time period, too.

For anyone else who hasn't bought this book and wants to know more about it before plunking down the dollars for the Absolute format, here's my review of this monstrous slipcase HC edition:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...olute+frontier

Last edited by wktf; 11-25-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #28
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
For anyone else who hasn't bought this book and wants to know more about it before plunking down the dollars for the Absolute format, here's my review of this monstrous slipcase HC edition:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...olute+frontier
Great review wktf. I'm a fan of Cooke's art so the Absolute edition is still a nice buy especially at the holiday sale price. I did a search and found that Cooke already has a sequel in mind with the JLA so it'll be nice to have both books.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #29
protector2814
Phoenix

I've been reading comics for over 30 years and I.M.H.O., New Frontier is really, one of the best series I've ever had the pleasure of reading; top 3 w/o a doubt. This is a masterpiece. I can not recommend this book enough.
Keep in mind that it is absolutely necessary that you enjoy this work of art by consciously placing yourself within the timeframe when it supposedly takes place. Forget what you know and what's to pass, in terms of comics; remove yourself from the jaded present and all comics written post 1985, and enjoy the innocence and complexity of Darwyn's epic. This book completely stands alone...yet fits if you are even the smallest fan of things Silver-Age. If you have the slightest doubt of what to ask for come Christmas, this book should bump to the top of your list. This collection is the seed. Flash, Batman, Wonder-Woman, Superman, Green Lantern, Martian ManHunter, VietNam, Cold War, etc... all adding up to the loss of Innocence. I read this over and over again and will continue to do so.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #30
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Protector, as usual you and I are in violent agreement on this one.