Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 06-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
MaxGoof
Nightwing

Question Tiny spots on Chrome Silver Surfer statue?

Hey guys--

I got one of my holiest of holy grails off ebay this week, a Bowen Chrome Silver Surfer statue. He looks pretty beautiful in person, but I noticed that he has tons of tiny, tiny "spots" on him, particularly on his head and the rim of his surfboard.

It's REALLY difficult to photograph, but I think this photo I took of the side of the board (there's some dust particles on the main part of the board I can wipe off myself) is a good indicator of what I'm seeing on the statue:

Is this normal? I asked the seller if there were any defects or damage of any kind to the statue, and he said it was perfect. I know "oxidation" is a thing people watch out for, although I'm not sure what that means exactly, and I asked the seller about that and he said there was no oxidation damage either. Surfer looks great and all--I just wanna make sure there's not something wrong with him and I'm not getting scammed.
MaxGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Shoo
Hercules

You never heard of the dandruff cosmic?

Sorry, can't help you there. I have no chromed pieces.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Chrome is peeling
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Not sure what it is...could be oxidation. Not sure if it's peeling. I'd take some Wright's Silver Cream and a rag...follow the directions and see if it does anything. Had an issue with oxidization with the Arcade bust and was able to clear it up...for a while.

before

after

That said, if you're not happy with it and don't want to risk any kind of wear, I'd just return it.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
MaxGoof
Nightwing

The spots where all the dots are feel a little bit rough to the touch. Is that a sign that the chrome is peeling? I'm going to hunt down some Wright's Silver Cream this weekend and see if that helps.
MaxGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
statue-man
The Riddler

There was talk about this some years ago. If it just black marks I believe it is oxidation, there was a quick fix that wipes off all these black marks. I will check
statue-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
statue-man
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGoof View Post
Hey guys--

I got one of my holiest of holy grails off ebay this week, a Bowen Chrome Silver Surfer statue. He looks pretty beautiful in person, but I noticed that he has tons of tiny, tiny "spots" on him, particularly on his head and the rim of his surfboard.

It's REALLY difficult to photograph, but I think this photo I took of the side of the board (there's some dust particles on the main part of the board I can wipe off myself) is a good indicator of what I'm seeing on the statue:

Is this normal? I asked the seller if there were any defects or damage of any kind to the statue, and he said it was perfect. I know "oxidation" is a thing people watch out for, although I'm not sure what that means exactly, and I asked the seller about that and he said there was no oxidation damage either. Surfer looks great and all--I just wanna make sure there's not something wrong with him and I'm not getting scammed.
I would suggest going to Randy Bowen's facebook page and ask him about it. There is a quick fix for this, but it's been so long I can't remember. I now he's the man to ask
Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
statue-man
The Riddler

??
Old 06-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGoof View Post
The spots where all the dots are feel a little bit rough to the touch. Is that a sign that the chrome is peeling? I'm going to hunt down some Wright's Silver Cream this weekend and see if that helps.
Don't remember having that issue with the Arcade bust. I'd take statue-man's advice and contact Bowen before you use the cream. Hopefully it's just tarnished...silver cream or a tarnish remover like Tarn-X, like statue-man suggested, should help with that. That said, I can't speak on Tarn-X personally. Not sure how corrosive it is.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

It's called pitting. Happens on bikes and items of Chrome exposed to elements. Once it starts it really can't be stopped only redone.
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote