Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #1411
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
because they convinced you he was a religious fanatic to begin with. Stannis doesn't believe everything Mel is selling, Stannis doesn't burn people for "false idols" the "Family" in question he burned on the beach were caught in the process of turning traitor to the Lannisters. don't get me wrong i'm not pro burning folks but that is certainly a more reasonable reason than what TV folks were given.

and EVEN if she does bite it in book 6 it sure as hell won't be with his ok.
Maybe you're right. Or maybe GRRM has just clouded the issue more for you book readers.

You're right that "they" have convinced me he is a fanatic. A fanatic with doubts. Always looking for reassurance from Melisandre. But he keeps going along with every suggestion she makes, especially the longer things drag on, even with more odds stacked against him. In the beginning, it was because he thought his claim to the throne to be legitimate, now, moreso prophecy.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #1412
MrYac
Hercules

I will say though if you think there's a prophecy and all that you'd think he'd be more of a go with it kinda guy
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #1413
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
I will say though if you think there's a prophecy and all that you'd think he'd be more of a go with it kinda guy
"MrYac with his flaming sword is the only one who can save us from eternal night!"

That would sway you, wouldn't it?
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #1414
MrYac
Hercules

see if I got a prophecy declaring my victory I would just roll with it, I mean if it's destined to happen there's no need to burn my daughter alive am I right
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #1415
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Does he not sacrifice her in the book? PM me if it's potential spoilers.

Anyway, I haven't read the books and I agree. This decision seemed entirely out of character. It went against everything he has said about his daughter and all of his actions to save her from the greyscale. While he has always been part POS, he struck me as the kind of man who could see that a future on the throne at the cost of his daughter's life was pointless.

As soon as the guards grabbed her to tie her up (was holding out for hope he wouldn't actually do it) the wife and I simply had to fast forward through the scene. I don't care if it's fiction. Not going to watch children be murdered.
Did you and your wife have the same outrage in the end of the very first episode at the attempted murder of a child? Did ya'll turn it off during the purging of Robert's bastards? Multiple children died then. Arya's friend getting stabbed in the throat?

Kids dying, even through murder, arent uncommon in this world. The outrage of Sansa's rape and Shireen's burning this season has been comical. This is the same stuff thats been happening since the first season.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #1416
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Kids have it rough in this series/books. I have no idea why GRRM made them so young when he constantly writes about the girls being raped and kids getting murdered.

If anything makes me sick, it's the pedophilia that has been shown/alluded to more than once.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #1417
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

It's fiction so you just have to keep that in mind. No actual children were harmed in the filming of this series.

That said, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that makes me love the books and the series. You never know who might die, when or why. Nobody is "safe". Sometimes heroes don't save you. Sometimes heroes die and not just in martyrish fashion but for no reason. Sometimes evil just wins.

Farm kids, butchers boy, Roberts bastards, and now Stannis' daughter. I think the reason she causes more outrage is they spent time developing her character and she is very sympathetic.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #1418
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Did you and your wife have the same outrage in the end of the very first episode at the attempted murder of a child? Did ya'll turn it off during the purging of Robert's bastards? Multiple children died then. Arya's friend getting stabbed in the throat?

Kids dying, even through murder, arent uncommon in this world. The outrage of Sansa's rape and Shireen's burning this season has been comical. This is the same stuff thats been happening since the first season.
Who said we were "outraged"? I just said we didn't want to see it. I get that kids die. Plenty have died on the show. This however involved a character we as the audience were developing a bond with. So yeah we weren't comfortable with seeing her be the victim of a sacrifice at her own father's request. We certainly didn't enjoy the scenes you just mentioned, but they were most certainly different.

Interesting you bring up Sansa's rape. Has that happened in the show before? Have we grown close to another young virgin who is a main character and was also raped? Is so I must have missed that part. Anyway, we weren't "outraged" by Sansa's scene either. Rape happens. It's unfortunate that it happened to Sansa, but we also didn't have to look away since they didn't exactly show anything. Just another thing that isn't similar at all to this scenario.

Not sure why you felt the need to mock what makes my wife and I uncomfortable. Not once did I say "they shouldn't have done that". I still think it was out of character for Stannis, and I think it was mistake in that respect, but not at the writers decision to kill a child. We PERSONALLY don't like seeing kids killed. Call us crazy, but we're not fans. However, not once did I say the show is wrong for writing kid deaths. So I am not sure what your line of questioning was trying to illustrate.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 AM   #1419
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Sorry Thor but I disagree there. Burning random village kids or babies being killed by nameless soldiers is shocking of course, but this was a parent deciding to take the life of his OWN child, that's something completely different and horrific. Even his wife, who showed no love to Shereen so far and repeatedly asked for her sacrifice, crazed by Melisandre's manipulation and her stillborn children couldn't go through with it and broke down at what was happening. Cersei wouldn't even consider harming her own children, one of which she knew to be a monster, and she's on everyone's sh@t list.

I'm not sure outraged is the right word, though I could understand some book readers reacting that way. It's not just the act itself but it's now firmly removed any hope they might of had with Stannis being a hero or worthy king in the books. There's no redemption here for him now, and now no legacy to his name. He can't have any children with his wife and has no heir to his name, so even if he takes the throne, he can't keep it. His legacy is the mad king that burnt his own daughter.

I'd say it was the hardest part to watch of any season, bearing in mind the two kids burnt previously were already dead, we didn't see them die or hear them. Plus we've a connection to stannis as it seemed he was in a redemptive arc. I don't agree that this or the Sansa rape is worth turning off the show, but it is what it is, designed to shock and disturb you, to now strongly want Sansa to triumph or Stannis to fail.

Fantastic show and looking forward to next week's finale.

Last edited by Colossal; 06-09-2015 at 02:30 AM. Reason: predictor refuses to accept game of Thrones names!
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #1420
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Who said we were "outraged"? I just said we didn't want to see it. I get that kids die. Plenty have died on the show. This however involved a character we as the audience were developing a bond with. So yeah we weren't comfortable with seeing her be the victim of a sacrifice at her own father's request. We certainly didn't enjoy the scenes you just mentioned, but they were most certainly different.

Interesting you bring up Sansa's rape. Has that happened in the show before? Have we grown close to another young virgin who is a main character and was also raped? Is so I must have missed that part. Anyway, we weren't "outraged" by Sansa's scene either. Rape happens. It's unfortunate that it happened to Sansa, but we also didn't have to look away since they didn't exactly show anything. Just another thing that isn't similar at all to this scenario.

Not sure why you felt the need to mock what makes my wife and I uncomfortable. Not once did I say "they shouldn't have done that". I still think it was out of character for Stannis, and I think it was mistake in that respect, but not at the writers decision to kill a child. We PERSONALLY don't like seeing kids killed. Call us crazy, but we're not fans. However, not once did I say the show is wrong for writing kid deaths. So I am not sure what your line of questioning was trying to illustrate.
I didn't mock anything.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote