Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 05-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #1681
gomur
The Tick

Sadly these comparisons will be a thing of the past. It doesn't look like GG has any 1/4 plans after the Honey Trap line. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. I'm hoping they go out with a bang with their remaining product. And REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we get Fireball.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #1682
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
The issue GG has is their packaging, seems like it's a roll of the dice if it survives the trip from their warehouse to your front door.... I wish they would hire new people for their packaging design.

If your only making a few hundred statues it's easier to QC it vs making 2k-3k statues which would be near impossible, that is why some companies probably has more issues as they're relying on the factory to get it right before it ships off to the consumer.

As for price, you make a good point when you said Maggie didn't come any better then Sideshow pieces, so say their equal.... Then how come you can find GG statues 1/4 just as good as SS if not better sometimes for about $150+ less? Goes to show you SS is kind of putting the screws to their customers price wise.
When these Honey Trap girls were announced they were quite a bit higher in price than PFS at that time.

Female PFs were at the $375 (Marvel)-$450 range. Whisper was $669. So, GG prices were a bit higher. Even now they are. The large Oglaveil piece, it's list price was cheaper.

So, how can you guys say Sideshow is more?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #1683
gomur
The Tick

To be fair, one can't ignore the edition size with price. A larger ES allows you to lower the cost per unit. Edition sizes for GG are significantly lower than SS.

About 600 units for Whisper. Oglaveil is 1500. Not to mention the 1500 Skratch hounds at $150 - which most collectors would want with Oglaveil. So $730 for the bundle and Oglaveil winds up costing more than Whisper with many more units made.

Female PFs were at the $375 .... those were the days!
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #1684
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
When these Honey Trap girls were announced they were quite a bit higher in price than PFS at that time.

Female PFs were at the $375 (Marvel)-$450 range. Whisper was $669. So, GG prices were a bit higher. Even now they are. The large Oglaveil piece, it's list price was cheaper.

So, how can you guys say Sideshow is more?
Because those prices were directly from GG web-site, there were numerous stores that were taking pre-orders for a lot less then GG MRSP. (IE: Speculative Fiction), I only paid $499 for Whisper.

With SS it's near impossible to find any discount on their pieces. Unless it's a really bad statue like the Christopher Reeve PF or MOS PVC PF, then you might find a deal since sales are so bad. Otherwise your stuck paying the MRSP regardless of who sales it.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #1685
grphyx1
Kingpin

B2S, I am quite familiar with the details and the quality of GG. The issue they had was pricing of unlicensed characters. This was reflected in the amounts made. They are worth it to you, so good.

Quote:
I have 3 of them so far, IMO they are worth the money....

Also there were deals to be found the last year or so, I paid $375 for Katya & Derby and Whisper was $499. And these have a lot more details to them then what SS offers on most PF's which are now in the $500+ range.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #1686
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
B2S, I am quite familiar with the details and the quality of GG. The issue they had was pricing of unlicensed characters. This was reflected in the amounts made. They are worth it to you, so good.
SS is doing the same thing with their dead statues. you would think without needing to pay a license they would be cheaper then your average PF.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #1687
grphyx1
Kingpin

You would think right? I'm mad cause I got priced outta Xiall. It's fine. Buy what you can.

Quote:
SS is doing the same thing with their dead statues. you would think without needing to pay a license they would be cheaper then your average PF.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #1688
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Because those prices were directly from GG web-site, there were numerous stores that were taking pre-orders for a lot less then GG MRSP. (IE: Speculative Fiction), I only paid $499 for Whisper.

With SS it's near impossible to find any discount on their pieces. Unless it's a really bad statue like the Christopher Reeve PF or MOS PVC PF, then you might find a deal since sales are so bad. Otherwise your stuck paying the MRSP regardless of who sales it.
$500 is still more than $375-$450.
And the pieces at Sideshow had licenses.

How do you compare COTD Cleopsis ($405 w/SS coupon, $450 MSRP)to a HT Whisper for $499? Since they are both self-licensed.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #1689
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Received a "shipping soon" for Lucky from SpecFiction. Anyone else get a shipping soon notice? I hope it's true that she's not far away.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #1690
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I've received no notification yet and I ordered with Spec as well.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote