Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I have never asked for a complete do-over on a completely finished piece. I have asked for some minor anatomical alterations on a few pieces, where some anatomy looked slightly wonky. I have asked for complete do-overs on the layouts I've been sent by an artist, though. Never had any problems with any artists over the requests. There was one commission where I felt the artist did sub-par work on the commission, and I felt so strongly about the piece being below quality, that I told him I was disappointed with it (oddly, it wasn't the first time I'd commissioned that artist). He didn't take it well, at all...berated a bunch of other artists' work in my CAF gallery, basically yelled and screamed at me through an e-mail. Sent me a refund without me really asking though, and then proceeded to finish the commission, at the level I thought he'd do it to begin with, show it to me, and sell it to somebody else. End result, no longer a fan of that artist, and sold off the pieces I had by him.
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
dcd747
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Yikes. Well, at least he wasn't too touchy about the subject.
dcd747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's been my experience that whenever I have politely asked an artist to either redo the layout sketch or touch-up a finished piece, it hasn't been pleasant. I have tried the direct approach, the kiss-ass approach, and the polite approach -- with little luck.

One time, I asked an artist to paint the following in a cartoony fashion: A deliciously playful and homicidal Harley and Joker wearing jail clothes standing in front of the Arkham Asylum gates with the heads of Batman's rogues gallery resting atop the spires of the gates, with blood drooping down on to the ground. Nothing that original, but I thought this artist would excel with that kind of visual work. I also asked that we be able to see Arkham Asylum in background. I sent all sorts of reference material. The artist agreed. To note, this artist has done lots of gory work of this kind in a cartoony style, especially with the Joker and Harley.

Months past the deadline, the artist finally sends me a scan of the finished piece. To my great surprise, the artist dropped the entire agreed upon Arkham + Rogues gallery theme. It was simply Joker and Harley (looking all in love) in costume (not jail clothes as asked) standing underneath a huge full moonlight. While the piece was still nice, it wasn't even close to what I asked the artist to do. My first thought was that this must be someone else's commission. After complimenting the artist (I've learned that this is generally a must with artists before asking or discussing anything), I politely asked why he didn't follow the theme of the agreed upon commission? He then said, he no longer felt it made sense visually. Okay. Perhaps. I then asked why he didn't contact me earlier so we can discuss other options? Why knowingly do something I didn't ask for? No direct reply to that save to say he'd redo the piece if I asked. I took him up on his offer and asked (i.e., however, in my mind, there was no redoing of anything as he didn't do it to begin with).

The artist never replied again. Later, I bumped into his agent (he eventually became more in demand and required representation) and asked if he could ask the artist to contact me about that once promised Arkham commission. All this to say, the commission was never revisted. Take from this example what you will.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #14
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

If I don't like the art, I don't ask for a redo. If the artist screws up or tries get "cute" I do. My theme is very straightforward. I had an artist forget to draw the gargoyle and he was not happy when I asked him to redo the piece. But I didn't want the piece without it so I insisted. On another occasion an artist decided to get "cute" by putting a character other than batman on the Goyle and once again I rejected the art
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #15
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

These experiences are what lead me to not ask for corrections or redo's (I've gotten 2 recently I wasn't happy with). Not only does it seem pretty awkward to broach the subject with the artist but it seems from all these stories to just not be worth it...
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
RoscoeDeGama
Fantastic Four

Never asked for a do-over but Ron Garney wasn't happy with a Dark Phoenix he did for me and said he wanted to redo it. I said no-I was really pleased with what he'd done. He was too tough on himself-it's amazing!

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=931473
RoscoeDeGama is offline   Reply With Quote