Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Commission Discussion: Have you ever requested a do-over?

So the combination of another posting and an upcoming con have me curious - have you ever received a commission that wasn't up to par and have you requested an artist to give it another try? If so, how did that go and what's the best way to approach it?

I have a couple of commissions from artists whose work I genuinely like and generally put out quality commissions but for some reason mine came out either rushed or something is lacking.

Do you just chalk it up to "that's the risk of taking on a commission"?

Is there a certain price point where you should have more of a say on your enjoyment of the piece?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Personally I chalk it up to the risk of paying for a commission, but I can understand if people would be picky when their money is involved.

It depends on the artists process too, if they send prelims and ASK if there are changes to be made I might request a minor tweak but 90% of the time will leave it entirely up to them. I don't think I'd ever ask for a redo though. You're commissioning them for THEIR art and vision.

Though again thats just me, I can see where some would get picky when money (sometimes large amounts) are involved and technically as a paying customer they would be entitled (unless the artist states otherwise before payment), I just personally tend to let them run with it as much as I can.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

While I hear you CJ82, I disagree on one point - it's my vision and their art. I'm commissioning them based on my vision of something, and asking them to put their spin/art style on it. With several artists I've collaborated on the vision piece, where we work out details if something may not fit or quite work the way I originally thought. However, I'm the one that's usually casting the vision, with my hope and expectation that they follow what I've commissioned them for.

That being said, many times I'll just let artists run with it, and I'll get what I get. Those are fun and exciting, but don't always turn out how I would have "envisioned" lol. Carlos, it seems like you're asking from a standpoint not of some details being off or it maybe not turning out how you'd like, but instead that the artist just didn't put enough time or care into the piece.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
freeform
The Spirit

I have exactly 1 commission that I hate. I didn't ask for a do-over for several reasons. I thought maybe it was me at first. I even tried staring at it like those pictures that have two different things in them. I showed it to a few people and they described it with the same two words as I did. And I also didn't consider it worth it to make it an issue with the rep when there were other commissions I wanted.
The worst part is this artist hits home run after home run with his commissions, and I got the only weak pop-up to first.
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

yeah my scenario is more of a couple of older commissions (no real art directing involved - just draw this character) that I dont totally like and didnt really like when I picked them up. similiar to freeform I see constant good ones from these artists and lament on how mine wasnt as sharp as those.

I have only recieved one commission that I hated and that one I sold within a week of obtaining it. I was fine with flipping that one because at the end of the day it was from an artist that i didn't have a great affinity for.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

I think as a paying customer you have a right to express your thoughts on a piece if you genuinely don't like it, or if the artist didn't follow direction at all. I am pretty picky over the "vision" I have in my mind, and while I am all for an artist putting their spin on it, if it doesn't adhere to said vision, I get a bit salty. I had an experience with one artist that didn't really put out what I had in mind (Although it is a nice piece, it is missing that special something), and another artist who was very engaging in the creative process. I didn't say anything to the former artist mentioned, however in hindsight I wish I had. I only have full confidence in a few artists. Those artists are the genuine "geeks" that fully understand the lore and the character that I commission. Other artists it seems, view it only as a means to generate income and have lost the affinity of art or the subject being commissioned. Those artists I find are the ones who either hit or miss. Just my two.
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

I do often chalk it up to the risk of taking a commission but I do sometimes ask for changes.

I had a prior experience with an artist who didn't include the one detail I actually asked for (or to be more specific deviated from it and drew a different version of something), and when I pointed it out (not even to ask for a change) he went more or less ballistic. Shame too. Folks get pieces from him all the time.

I write it off more with sketches/convention sketches but I'm somewhat picky with commissions, at least if I have the option to review prelims and the like.

I've yet to actually ask for a do-over on a piece after it was completed totally, as generally there's a process to go through before getting to that point etc...
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

It pays to have the artist give you prelim layouts to look at. Unless you really have faith in them.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I've requested a do-over once. The second piece was exponentially better. I've gotten some that i should've said something, but, anything <$100 I just chalked it up to my bad.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Not a full do-over, but the only time I've ever requested significant edits to a piece was one from my first con and my first foray into commissioning. The artist ran out of time to do my sketch during the con, so it became a mail-order piece. He emailed me a few weeks later with a scan of it. It was supposed to be Jubilee (SHOCKING!) but it was the most generic sketch of just some ponytail'ed chick I've ever seen. It was also really amateur looking, and nothing like what I saw of his work at the con. It was in no way any specific character, let alone Jubilee and I was not happy with it at all. So, I politely asked if he could just add in her powers, or glasses or something to make her more distinctly Jubilee, nothing too major mind you.

He didn't reply, but a couple weeks later a package arrived. I opened it up to find it was from him, and it was a totally different piece, in a totally different style (it was what I saw from him at the con). This one screamed Jubilee. It was quite clear that he just tried to pass off a old sketch he had lying around as my commission. While I was very happy with the sketch I got in the end, the fact that I had to push back to get what I paid for was not the best experience. I've been unhappy with other art I've commissioned, but that was the biggest ask I've made so far that you could consider a "do over."

This is the end piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...sp?piece=44857

I don't still have the email with the original sketch in it, sadly. That was probably 4 email accounts back.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote