Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
TSM_in_NY
Frackin!

I Iz Teh Confused...

Okay, perhaps someone here who is much better at math than I am can explain this to me.

It was announced a couple of weeks back that Adam Hughes was going to attempt to do two at con pieces at SDCC for the very reasonable price of just $4,000.00USD

Yesterday Mark Brooks announced on his FB page that he too was going to do two pieces at SDCC but for just $600.00USD.

Both artists are allegedly (I have to say "allegedly" for legal reasons) doing these pieces at the same size (11"x14") fully rendered with copic markers.

So why the HUGE disparity in price?

According to Hughes' FB post it's due to "the enormous personal expense of setting up at San Diego".

To quote the great philosopher John McEnroe, "You can't be serious!".

From all my years of attending SDCC, I would say Hughes is in the top five artists making big coin selling his wares, ie: sketchbooks, prints, etc. at the show.

For those not in the know, both Hughes and Brooks both live in Georgia so I would imagine that both of them have comparable set up expenses as far as airfare is concerned.

Though for full disclosure's sake I will admit that Hughes has two tables to Brooks' one.

So, anyway, can anyone explain to me why Hughes has to charge this exorbitant amount to the extremely fair (for what you get) amount Brooks is asking for a piece of comparable (though in my opinion far superior) quality?

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
TSM_in_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Pretty much popularity and demand.

Sort of like, why does Adam West command a higher autograph fee than Burt Ward? They were both on the same show and they were both on all the shows. But Adam West is "THE" star and Burt Ward is a "Co-star".

Adam Hughes = Batman
Mark Brookes = Robin
Old 07-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
TSM_in_NY
Frackin!

Well to use your own analogy against you, I've met both Adam West and Burt Ward and Mr. West doesn't charge 5x the amount Mr. Ward does for an autograph.

I'm not going to try and debate who is the bigger star but I think Hughes' ask is totally ridiculous.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Like nbr3 says ... because he can

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
TSM_in_NY
Frackin!

And I'm sure Brooks could ask for more and easily get it but perhaps he not inclined to rip off his fans.

Deep pocketed or not.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Adam Hughes commissions is always a fun topic and it strikes a nerve for many collectors, especially for his hard core fans and those who really want a piece from him. There was a time (several years ago) where Adam and Mark charged relatively the same (I want to say Adam was around $400 and Mark was close, maybe a little less). At that price, Adam’s line was huge and chaotic. I actually really liked his system: he would take the first 20/30 or so, create a list of requests, and then choose X amount of pieces he was planning to do at the show based on what he was inspired to draw from what he saw on the list. You had to get in his line early but not crazy early as being first on the list was no guarantee. All of the show pieces were really nice and it seemed to work. From what I have heard, someone begged Adam to choose their idea from the list, swearing it wouldn’t be resold and Adam agreed only to see it on eBay within a few hours (maybe the next day). From this point on he only does a few pre-sold pieces at the several thousand dollar rate. That’s my understanding of the history of how his con practices have evolved. I rode the line twice, got on the lists but was not selected.

CAF
Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

It's all a matter of taste and preference. There are many artists touted here on SF that I wouldn't want in my collection but I totally get that everyone has what they like. Hughes art is very nice but what I've heard is he and his wife are sometimes rude to fans and that turns me off completely from any desire to have his art. But that's just me.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It's all a matter of taste and preference. There are many artists touted here on SF that I wouldn't want in my collection but I totally get that everyone has what they like. Hughes art is very nice but what I've heard is he and his wife are sometimes rude to fans and that turns me off completely from any desire to have his art. But that's just me.
Completely agree about taste/preference. This is why I am able to look at the AH situation from a distance and not really care too much. I think he is a fantastic artist but I don't really collect the type of subject matter that he is best at drawing. I would love to own something from him but I am not bothered that I don't have anything in my collection.

Regarding him and Allison, I have heard some similar things (can be difficult to deal with) but I also know that things can be taken out of context and a story tends to get a life of it's own. From my experience, they were both nice and relatively patient. Before they switched to doing pre-con pieces, their table(s) were INSANE and they always had lines, people asking for things (many times that they already knew weren't possible), etc. and I know that I would have reached the end of my patience if it were me. I saw Allison run the Heroes auction one year and I know that they put in a ton of hours for that show (they used to at least).

CAF
Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

How much does a table cost at SDCC?

CAF
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM_in_NY View Post
And I'm sure Brooks could ask for more and easily get it but perhaps he not inclined to rip off his fans.

Deep pocketed or not.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
dont think anyone is getting ripped off here. adam doesnt do too many shows and he does even less commissions than he does shows. and people have been clamoring for a piece for him for a lot of years - he probably was amongst the first if not the first artist that had queues of people waiting to get on his list.

and if people have been waiting a long time and have the money and can get a quality piece of art where the secondary market will support the value, good luck to them.

all that said, no way that i would be able to afford $4k for a commission!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote