Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
capsteverogers
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Best Offer or a Set Price?

I was just curious on what everyone's opinion was on artists and collectors/dealers that do not list a price on a piece of art for sale and just say open to offers.
I would think that you would have to have a price in mind for the piece or are they just hoping someone will throw an offer that's more then they are hoping to get on the piece.
So what are your thoughts on best offers vs. set prices?
capsteverogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsteverogers View Post
I was just curious on what everyone's opinion was on artists and collectors/dealers that do not list a price on a piece of art for sale and just say open to offers.
I would think that you would have to have a price in mind for the piece or are they just hoping someone will throw an offer that's more then they are hoping to get on the piece.
So what are your thoughts on best offers vs. set prices?
Sounds like you understand things pretty well already. You're correct. They're hoping for a higher offer than they're willing to sell for. I personally walk away from "make an offer" items, but then I'm strange like that and it's one of my peeves.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
IG-64
Justice League

I'd rather just know I can't afford something than make an offer and find out how badly I've estimated the apparent price on it.
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

It's funny, I hate when people do that, I never make an offer unless it's something I NEED, which is rare.

That being said, I have done it myself. Usually I'll throw a figure up and put OBO (or best offer) next to the amount I'm asking, but I've had a couple pieces where I've just said make me an offer. I'll wind up doing that when I'm not really looking to sell the piece but if someone wants to pay me a ridiculous amount of money, I'm open to discussion about it. Sometimes I'll do it if I'm not sure how much I want for it (which has happened once or twice), or just to see what people might be willing to pay for it. Personally I'm not looking to rip anyone off if I ask for an offer, I'm more curious than anything.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
capsteverogers
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I think a set price with OBO works good.
The only way I would ever use best offer would be if someone asked about a piece that I wasn't offering for sale. Then I think you would be justified to saying "give me your best offer and I might sell it".
capsteverogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Sounds like you understand things pretty well already. You're correct. They're hoping for a higher offer than they're willing to sell for. I personally walk away from "make an offer" items, but then I'm strange like that and it's one of my peeves.
Same here. Also, for sales in the B/S/T section of this forum. If there are no prices, I don't bother.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

"Make me an offer" is no different than ebay. Figure out what you want to pay and offer it. If the seller doesn't take it, so be it. Frankly, a seller not having a set price is no different that a buyer not having a price they are willing to pay.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
"Make me an offer" is no different than ebay. Figure out what you want to pay and offer it. If the seller doesn't take it, so be it. Frankly, a seller not having a set price is no different that a buyer not having a price they are willing to pay.
Can't argue with that but here, it's more of a personal nature (since we are all forum members), and I prefer not to haggle back and forth where it may result in a negative feeling regarding a buyer/seller trying to gouge a seller/buyer. (and that does occur on this forum)
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Can't argue with that but here, it's more of a personal nature (since we are all forum members), and I prefer not to haggle back and forth where it may result in a negative feeling regarding a buyer/seller trying to gouge a seller/buyer. (and that does occur on this forum)

I understand the sentiment... but a lot of deals goes on outside forums. And personally I would have over paid for a lot of art over the last couple years if I didn't haggle. Ive found that very few people find the question "Are you at all negotiable on the price of that?" or just the straight "Would you be willing to go xxx on this yyy?" to be an insult. In fact, with exception of my most recent Superman cover I don't think I've paid the initial asking price on anything I've bought in the last six months.
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote