Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #41
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
This is a very early prototype of Conan and we do not currently have more information on him. Stay tuned!
All i got back from them on Twitter. Sounds like we'll see changes at least.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #42
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Hm, yeah, I see my whole post with all the links, even one which didn't link to any videos, but text info from a person involved in the design of the piece, has been deleted.

I can't find it any more, but I do really seem to remember that when the new rules were announced and discussed, it was mentioned videos shot at conventions, as opposed to video reviews shot at home, would still be allowed.

So on this forum about statues it's better not to have any videos at all about a new statue which obviously nobody else owns just because the people uploading them have no relation to this board. And thus, people have to go elsewhere if they want to be fully informed about the piece being discussed.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but OK, duly noted.
They made an exception before for someone and their con videos in the ss section. If you want videos now you have to upload them to the sf channel. I got an explanation in another thread about it and apparently the reason is some people have custom/unlincensed stuff of their youtube channel and this was an issue. And they stated that it's impossible to make sure everyones youtube is "safe" (which is right that is an impossible task).

Now why they have to do this I dont believe I got an answer for. There is no way I can believe they need that to function as a forum, it is most likely a complaint from the advertisors on the site (the statue companies). Could be any, probably ss though as they love being a huge dick. But if this is the case while I don't like the change I understand why it needs to be there. The site isn't free to host, they need to cover the costs somehow. It sucks and hurta the forum but what can you do...
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #43
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
All i got back from them on Twitter. Sounds like we'll see changes at least.
I called their Long Island city store today and was told that, "We don't have any info on what material will be used but we wouldn't make a statue out of PVC."
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #44
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-brother View Post
I called their Long Island city store today and was told that, "We don't have any info on what material will be used but we wouldn't make a statue out of PVC."
Well it's listed as a MM figure at the con sign so that's not definitive ;p I doubt it's made of PVC though, it would likely cost them more money considering the size to make it primarily out of PVC and it doesn't look like they are making any use of the pvc coloring (one of it's main benefits). That doesn't mean it's not a cheaper material though.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #45
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
They made an exception before for someone and their con videos in the ss section. If you want videos now you have to upload them to the sf channel. I got an explanation in another thread about it and apparently the reason is some people have custom/unlincensed stuff of their youtube channel and this was an issue. And they stated that it's impossible to make sure everyones youtube is "safe" (which is right that is an impossible task).

Now why they have to do this I dont believe I got an answer for. There is no way I can believe they need that to function as a forum, it is most likely a complaint from the advertisors on the site (the statue companies). Could be any, probably ss though as they love being a huge dick. But if this is the case while I don't like the change I understand why it needs to be there. The site isn't free to host, they need to cover the costs somehow. It sucks and hurta the forum but what can you do...
Thanks for the explanation, dao.

Well, that's unfortunate. So just because the channel of the guy (or company, in the case of some web sites doing their own con tours) might also contain videos covering unlicensed product (because, yeah, we all know after watching a video we hurry to watch all of the other videos in that channel), the solution is not to have any on-topic videos at all.

That's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

If sponsors are involved, and it's not about not wanting someone else to allegedly monetize their own vids, I can understand the official position, but I'm afraid this is just going to make even more people turn to FB groups instead to get their unrestricted statue fix. I've already seen it happen with now all but deserted comic-book boards.

A real shame for those of us who dislike FB.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #46
nearmint
Phoenix

I gave up trying to understand the reasoning behind the policy. Now I just post videos to FB groups and the other forum, and then post here that a new video is up, but don’t provide a link. I haven’t noticed any decline in views, so it’s no skin off my nose, but much less convenient for folks here.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #47
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Thanks for the explanation, dao.

Well, that's unfortunate. So just because the channel of the guy (or company, in the case of some web sites doing their own con tours) might also contain videos covering unlicensed product (because, yeah, we all know after watching a video we hurry to watch all of the other videos in that channel), the solution is not to have any on-topic videos at all.

That's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

If sponsors are involved, and it's not about not wanting someone else to allegedly monetize their own vids, I can understand the official position, but I'm afraid this is just going to make even more people turn to FB groups instead to get their unrestricted statue fix. I've already seen it happen with now all but deserted comic-book boards.

A real shame for those of us who dislike FB.
I went digging and here is the actual response if you are interested

There is no ban on YouTube videos. In fact we encourage you to share them with the forum, we’ve just changed the method in how you can do it. The reasoning for this is twofold...

"1) Certain YouTubers will use this forum due to it’s high traffic as a way to promote themselves and/or other things that aren’t acceptable. Many of these people also have no presence on the forum itself and contribute nothing.

2) Many links would take you to places that promoted unlicensed product and we can’t have the forum affiliated with any of that for what I would hope is obvious reasons. Ultimately we are responsible for what is posted/promoted here so it comes down to the logistics behind policing said content.

What isn’t allowed is posting direct links in threads. While this may be convenient for our members it’s a near impossible task to expect the handful of mods we have here to click on every link and watch every video to make sure they pass muster.

What is allowed is letting us upload them to Statue Forum’s official YouTube Channel. This way we can either accept or decline the video based on whether it meets the acceptable criteria to be shared here. Obviously in order to do this the content shared with our channel must be your own. Videos from YT channels without the permission of it’s owner's are not allowed. Anyone sharing their content with us has full control of it. We will not alter the content in any way and it can be pulled at the owner’s discretion at any time. This channel was specifically created for our members.

The advantages to letting us upload them here is significant in that every new video is now showcased at the top of every page for the entire forum to easily access. This increases it’s exposure as opposed to getting buried a single page in some random thread.

While this isn’t ideal it’s unfortunately the reality of how things need to work for the time being and the foreseeable future to protect this forum."
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #48
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
I went digging and here is the actual response if you are interested
Ah, I see this is the thread you're quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2, quoting someone else View Post
"1) Certain YouTubers will use this forum due to it’s high traffic as a way to promote themselves and/or other things that aren’t acceptable. Many of these people also have no presence on the forum itself and contribute nothing."
I think Python summed it up best on that other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Yeah, it was news to me recently also. Have to say it seems like a silly rule to me, Youtube can be a great asset. Might be better just to control those abusing it (however it was being abused?) Rather than outright banning it and punishing everybody.
Yeah, I wouldn't say people such as nearmint above "contribute nothing".

Quote:
"What isn’t allowed is posting direct links in threads. While this may be convenient for our members it’s a near impossible task to expect the handful of mods we have here to click on every link and watch every video to make sure they pass muster."
Word. I really don't think the mod that deleted my post even bothered to click all three video links I posted. Heck, he obviously didn't even check the fourth one, which as I said was just relevant text info.

Quote:
"What is allowed is letting us upload them to Statue Forum’s official YouTube Channel. This way we can either accept or decline the video based on whether it meets the acceptable criteria to be shared here. Obviously in order to do this the content shared with our channel must be your own. Videos from YT channels without the permission of it’s owner's are not allowed."
Here's the crux of it. An overwhelming amount of the pertinent YouTube videos out there are not our own, nor by people we have any relationship with at all. We just want to share on-topic info with our fellow members because we get as excited as them and this way they don't have to go looking for it elsewhere. And it gets especially aggravating when it comes to conventions for the reasons already mentioned.

Quote:
"The advantages to letting us upload them here is significant in that every new video is now showcased at the top of every page for the entire forum to easily access. This increases it’s exposure as opposed to getting buried a single page in some random thread."
Expecting active youtubers out there to come here to post their videos is rather naive in my opinion. I bet a great deal of them don't even know about this forum by now. Like I said, most of the action these days is on FB (unfortunately, imo). And honestly, I can see why they would refuse to have their videos upped to a different account than theirs. It's not like any of them are going to get rich with these videos anyway. And as nearmint put it, I bet traffic isn't that affected just because they don't get direct hits from this forum now. Ultimately, I think that, while many of us love this board, it's not as important as we'd like to think.

Wasn't that a 3% of potential customers, according to Igo? :P

Also:

Quote:
"This increases it’s exposure as opposed to getting buried a single page in some random thread."
But it's not random threads. Actually, the threads where this links are posted couldn't be more pertinent. Are you looking to watch a video on X statue? Where are you going to look for it? Exactly, on the thread about said X statue, which is one of the GREAT advantages of a web forum over Facebook.

And if there's any worry about a link being "buried" in a particular thread --not that I think it's exactly like that--, someone could still re-post it on the first post.

Anyway, I do not own this forum, so I'll abide by the rules in spite of what I think of them. What I'd like to have clarified, though, is whether we can keep on doing the thing where we say "there's a new video on Youtube, search for this and that".

... Which in itself is also absurd, as the objection to some channels allegedly being "evil" should still stand - all we accomplish by doing this is forcing people to do an extra step to get there.

I wonder if posting the links between [code] tags would be allowed - that way there would be no direct link, strictly speaking, but people could still simply copy and paste it.

Like this:

Code:
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=166708
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #49
dao2
Cyclops

I'm not a fan of it myself and argued that people just looking for exposure could probably be banned as I don't see it come up often to cover #1.

This is the bit where I believe it's the advertisers complaining

"2) Many links would take you to places that promoted unlicensed product and we can’t have the forum affiliated with any of that for what I would hope is obvious reasons. Ultimately we are responsible for what is posted/promoted here so it comes down to the logistics behind policing said content."

I doubt the forum has any legal obligation to keep unlicensed stuff off of it or anything, so my only conclusion is that it's advertisers take issue with it. Also kinda goes hand it hand with the sculptors corner purge that happened a while ago.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #50
Silverfox
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Really like the action pose on this. Hopefully we get more details soon🤘
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote