Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #51
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
They need to get rid of Kathleen Kennedy as she is pretty much running the show and direction of this franchise. The Force Awakens was her vision and given so many directors can't work with her tells me she's a bit of a dictator.
I'll reserve my judgement on whether KK is good for the franchise until after I see TLJ. If that film is original and not another rehash of a previous episode she's good for the brand in my book. While TFA borrowed far too much from Ep. IV for my tastes it still very much felt like Star Wars to me and I think she is largely responsible for that.

I also think it was Lord & Miller on Han Solo and Treverrow on Episode IX who were the difficult ones to work with. Not all directors are cut out for helming a franchise/tentpole film with limited control. I applaud Lucasfilm for trying to bring in fresh talent but ultimately they weren't a good fit because they couldn't check their egos and work within the established parameters. The fact that KK isn't afraid to cut them is proof to me that nothing is more important to her than maintaining the established look, feel and tone of Star Wars and I for one applaud that. I haven't seen anything yet to indicate she is a problem.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #52
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Prolly not. We're talking about a guy who turned Star Trek into Star Wars.
well i guess thats not all bad since this will be a star wars movie
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #53
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I'll reserve my judgement on whether KK is good for the franchise until after I see TLJ. If that film is original and not another rehash of a previous episode she's good for the brand in my book. While TFA borrowed far too much from Ep. IV for my tastes it still very much felt like Star Wars to me and I think she is largely responsible for that.

I also think it was Lord & Miller on Han Solo and Treverrow on Episode IX who were the difficult ones to work with. Not all directors are cut out for helming a franchise/tentpole film with limited control. I applaud Lucasfilm for trying to bring in fresh talent but ultimately they weren't a good fit because they couldn't check their egos and work within the established parameters. The fact that KK isn't afraid to cut them is proof to me that nothing is more important to her than maintaining the established look, feel and tone of Star Wars and I for one applaud that. I haven't seen anything yet to indicate she is a problem.
Couldn't agree more.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #54
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:

The Force Awakens had the Star Wars feel to it because of the old cast, the story itself was pretty dreadful even if it heavily borrowed from the original formula. The whole Idea of a Death Star Planet was just silly and stupid. Not to mention it needed a sun in order to shoot which in return would destroy the sun, so it could only shoot once. And the story about finding the hidden path to Luke was just lame. If he wanted to disappear he wouldn't leave a "treasure map" behind so everyone could find him.

The only thing that made TFA fun was seeing Han Solo and Chewy again, watching the Millennium Falcon fly again along with Han's mischief brought back a lot of nostalgia. Sadly Princess Leia had an extremely boring part and was sidelined most of the movie... Luke was only shown for about 15 seconds, the movie was carried by Harrison Ford.

I thought the Rey character was decent and likeable but Kylo Ren was all Emo and whiney and Finn acted like he was hopped up on Caffeine the whole time. At least in the end Kylo Ren started to act like a true Sith so hopefully that continues over to the next movie and we won't see him pout and whine anymore.

I really hope the next movie is good but it's defiantly going to be handicapped without Harrison Ford in it.

KK wasn't afraid to fire the directors because they wouldn't do what she wanted them to do. Because of that whether the movies are good or bad falls on her shoulders as she seems to micro manage the directors.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #55
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

You'll get no argument from me on TFA's shortcomings, it's one of my least favorite SW films, if not my least favorite. Believe it or not I actually liked all the Prequels more. That said the feel of the film was so much more than just the returning OT characters. The vehicles, creatures, amazing locales etc. all had that classic SW feel to them. I'm actually one of those that believes the biggest star in the SW films is the SW Universe itself. It doesn't need Harrison Ford or any other major player to carry it, it can stand on it's own.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #56
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
You'll get no argument from me on TFA's shortcomings, it's one of my least favorite SW films, if not my least favorite. Believe it or not I actually liked all the Prequels more. That said the feel of the film was so much more than just the returning OT characters. The vehicles, creatures, amazing locales etc. all had that classic SW feel to them. I'm actually one of those that believes the biggest star in the SW films is the SW Universe itself. It doesn't need Harrison Ford or any other major player to carry it, it can stand on it's own.
I get what your saying about the Star Wars Universe being rich, I agree but if TFA didn't have Harrison Ford in it, it would of been a disaster of a movie.
IMO Rey, Kylo Ren and Finn weren't strong enough characters to carry that movie. Hopefully they will be better written in the next one as they won't have Han Solo as a safety net. Although they will have Luke if he has a big part in it.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #57
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I'll take KK over Rick McCallum any day of the week.
candyrocket786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #58
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Looked like we were shifting back to Summer releases with the Han Solo Anthology release in May of 2018. Not the case anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars Twitter Feed
Star Wars: Episode IX is now scheduled for release on December 20, 2019
Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #59
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

is anybody surprised? the summer to winter date change is what happened with TFA and TLJ already, it only makes sense they'd do the same with episode 9
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #60
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

It actually is a surprise because starting with Han Solo the SW films were supposed to move away from the Holiday season going and back to it's more traditional Summer spot in May as not to compete with the upcoming Avatar films which Disney has a vested interest in.