Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #4131
WhistlingTime
Birdman

I'll throw in my two cents, for what it's worth.

I started collecting with the ARTFX line and was drawn back in with the Jim Lee inspired Justice League characters. I know this has been mentioned multiple times already, but it would be nice to eventually round out this group with Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

In saying that, I would probably pick the ARTFX+ line as my favourite, which, in my opinion, has the broadest potential (fingers are crossed for an extensive lineup in the DC Rebirth run).
As single figures, they're much easier on space but still retain a great amount of detail. The significantly lighter weight should also allow for more varied and dynamic poses that might be less practical in larger scales. The use of magnets in the feet/base is a fantastic solution that allows for greater freedom in display options.
I also like the few diorama-like pairs that Koto has created in this line (e.g. Hulk/Hulkbuster, Arkham Knight, etc). It would be nice to see more of those in the future - possibly with some setups incorporating up to 5-6 characters over time. I was surprised to see the Infinity War statues not linked more cohesively in that manner.

I've recently been developing an interest in the Bishoujo line (DC focused), but I'm not a huge fan of the more overtly sexualised, pin-up poses seen on some of them. To be fair, I think it's only a few in the DC lineup that move into that territory for me. I understand that's the nature of the line and an appeal for a lot of people but I'm drawn more to the tamer poses like that of Wonder Girl, Black Canary, Raven, Batgirl and less toward the likes of the first Supergirl and first Catwoman.
Given this burgeoning interest, I would also be partial to seeing a 2nd edition of some of the earlier ones like Poison Ivy, Wonder Woman and Huntress.

I also had one question. One of my first ARTFX statues eventually exhibited that oiliness/stickiness across the surface of the figure that I see other people have experienced with various PVC statues. I'm just wondering whether Koto are/were aware of that issue and if any changes have been made to mitigate the problem.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #4132
Dark Knight.
Birdman

I really love the ArtFX+ lines. They save on space, you get more characters, and the magnetic bases allow for so many creative display options. My only nitpick are characters that crouch. I prefer museum poses.

These are my favorite lines:
I started with the New 52 ArtFX+ line. The metallic finish on those pieces was truly spectacular. I was bummed we didn't see more characters once the villains started coming out. I was also bummed that the Rebirth line didn't add anyone after Superman and Batman. Some wishlist characters: Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Firestorm, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, etc.

I also love the Star Wars ArtFX+ line. I have so many of the characters but missed out on Darth Maul and General Grievous (hope to get a reissue someday). Wishlist: more prequel characters (Dooku, Qui-Gon, Mace, etc.)

The X-Men '92 line has been a lot of fun too. I was really hoping to get a ton of characters here. Wishlist: Jean Grey, Iceman, Colossus, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Archangel - just to name a few). Other Marvel wish list characters are the Fantastic Four and Guardians of the Galaxy.

My most prized pieces are the Fine Art X-Men DRS. I was fortunate enough to get 4 of these (with Storm coming as well) but was really hoping this line would continue. Was praying for Iceman and Beast but maybe someday. Would love to get a reissue of Wolverine in his blue and yellow costume too.
Dark Knight. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #4133
Jono
Doh!

1. What products would you like to see come back revamped as a 2nd edition? (Thanks to those who have responded already!)

I would prefer new sculpts to reissues. With Bishoujos specifically, I would prefer the more recent face style of the battle costume Chun-Li and doll Cammy to the earlier face style

2. What is your favorite line of products from Kotobukiya? ARTFX+? Fine Arts? Bishoujo? Ikemen? Etc. Why is it your favorite? (price, quality, poses, etc)

ARTFX+ -- Please continue the DC Rebirth versions of this line. The Batman, Superman, and Super Sons are great and I would love to get a Wonder Woman and some villains.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #4134
mortadela
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotobukiya_EN View Post

2. What is your favorite line of products from Kotobukiya? ARTFX+? Fine Arts? Bishoujo? Ikemen? Etc. Why is it your favorite? (price, quality, poses, etc)
The Justice League 1/6 ARTFX is my favorite, so I hope to see Aquaman in the near future . I would also like to see more DC comics characters recieve the ARTFX treatment, inspired by the work of other artists and not only Jim Lee.
I like the museum pose.
A Resident Evil ARTFX line would be cool too.
mortadela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #4135
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:

I have a few question for you guys:

1. What products would you like to see come back revamped as a 2nd edition? (Thanks to those who have responded already!)

I want to use the answers I get from the above questions to relay to our planning department in the future, so any insight is appreciated!

-Gyoza
2nd Edition? You mean re-releases, not just bishoujos?
I missed the ArtFX-J Card Captor Sakura releases. I would love to get Li Syaoran and Sakura.
Got my eyes on Superman Man of Tomorrow too.
A 2nd Edition Raven would be nice. She was a bit plain on her first run compared to Starfire.
My favorite line would be the ArtFX-J line and the Bishoujo line. That's what makes my Kotobukiya collection.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #4136
Tailgunner
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortadela View Post
The Justice League 1/6 ARTFX is my favorite, so I hope to see Aquaman in the near future . I would also like to see more DC comics characters recieve the ARTFX treatment, inspired by the work of other artists and not only Jim Lee.
I like the museum pose.
This^
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #4137
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:

I have a few question for you guys:

1. I'd rather see new characters than re-dos, especially if there are no changes made, or just a base color variation. That stuff doesn't appeal to me, and actually makes me angry at times. Although, I'm sure folks that miss out on first runs are appreciative, so I won't knock the practice entirely. The exception being a Jubilee Bishoujo, with the original base from Shunya's art, minus the glitter ladened, pee-yellow color (my mind is still boggled by that design choice), or a variant with her current costume. If you made another Jubilee, it would be an instant pre-order for me!

2. Bishoujos. Lower price point, great quality sculpts and paint, great level of detail, made of PVC, and have super cute female subjects. (I don't collect dudes, and resin is so much more fragile, heavy, and expensive, so Bishoujos tick all my boxes.) Oh, and Shunya Yama----a. You make a sculpt with his art as the basis, I'm pretty assured to throw my money at you for it.

ArtFX is a moderately close second for the same reasons as the bishoujos. However, that opinion is changing for me with the drop in quality and concept art from the Avengers and X-men lines, to the Defenders set. Black Widow, Rogue, Illyana and Emma Frost were stunning with amazingly crisp detail (the latter two being the best), but Jessica Jones and Luke Cage (though I didn't buy him) were abysmal in quality and design. Those two were seriously epic fails IMO, and I don't know how those made it through the review process or quality control. Go back to Adi Granov designs, and the prior level of quality, and I'm all for more Marvel ArtFX. If you stick with the quality of the Defenders ones though, I'm out.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #4138
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Hi Mr Gyoza... I hope you can continue with the rest of the Xmen DRS Line..

Jean Grey (original outfit not phoenix)
Beast (Only missing to complete my Xmen Blue Team)
Iceman

For the bishoujo line maybe you consider:

Rogue and Emma Frost in a bigger scale and in their original costume (90's Rogue hair please and Emma's Bob cut hair)

Alpha Chun Li (I desperately need this to complete the 3 version of her) you already made two, the classic and the battle dress and both are phenomenal pieces.

for Ikemen maybe guys from Street fighter and Marvel will sell well.

Thank you.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #4139
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuz30 View Post
Rogue and Emma Frost in a bigger scale and in their original costume (90's Rogue hair please and Emma's Bob cut hair)
Ah, you have a good point I forgot about. Redoing the original smaller ones in the current larger scale would be good.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #4140
Kotobukiya_EN
Koto CS
Producer

Came in to see what you guys thought about some of our new reveals at Tokyo Comic Con, and I am glad to see fans already talking about them!

We have been trying so hard not to talk about how excited we were when we first saw some of the sculpts/artwork we finally got to share with you guys today! I was also personally happy to see the official artwork for Karin a while back. Love how much attitude you can see in her post, and I am super excited to see a finished sculpt.

That having been said, thank you guys so much for responding to some of my questions and giving us your two cents!

Seems like your favorite lines are:
- Bishoujo
- ARTFX+
- ARTFX
Reasons being: price, the overall quality of each line, and the characters/concepts that we have are unique. To improve the ARTFX/ARTFX+ line more, we should probably look into other artists too for inspiration.

You all love Aquaman, and Poison Ivy, and Wonder Woman, and want to see more. Thank you guys for more ideas as well! I am gathering together a list right now! And I can't quite reveal anything now, but glad to see that we are working on a few that you guys have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey View Post

I missed the ArtFX-J Card Captor Sakura releases. I would love to get Li Syaoran and Sakura.

Got my eyes on Superman Man of Tomorrow too.
A 2nd Edition Raven would be nice. She was a bit plain on her first run compared to Starfire.
My favorite line would be the ArtFX-J line and the Bishoujo line. That's what makes my Kotobukiya collection.
Thanks for the ARTFX J love too! I love the CCS statues as well! I went with a co-worker (Mr. Arigato, for those who have read a few of our past blog posts on the Kotobukiya home page) to the Cardcaptor Sakura Exhibit in Roppongi last week!
That having been said, I really hope we can increase more of our ARTFX J fans overseas too!

We get a lot of people asking for more Raven and Starfire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingTime View Post
I also had one question. One of my first ARTFX statues eventually exhibited that oiliness/stickiness across the surface of the figure that I see other people have experienced with various PVC statues. I'm just wondering whether Koto are/were aware of that issue and if any changes have been made to mitigate the problem.
Thanks for letting us know! This is sadly not something unique to Kotobukiya figures, but is rather something that can happen due to the usage of plasticizers. Plasticizers help to make our figures a little bit more flexible. Any number of factors can cause the stickiness: being under the sun too long, figures sealed in boxes or tight places could vaporize the plasticizer, etc.
Not necessarily due to this, but we are currently experimenting with various methods and materials to create lighter and higher quality figures, so you should see a change in some of our figures coming out in the future.

And finally, as a round up of our TYCC reveals, below are all of our photos. What do you guys think???

- Gyoza

Official HP: http://en.kotobukiya.co.jp /
Facebook: https://www.facebook .com/kotobukiyaofficial/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kotobukiya_en
My Figure Collection: https:// myfigurecollection.net/profile/Kotobukiya

Last edited by Kotobukiya_EN; 11-30-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Kotobukiya_EN is offline   Reply With Quote