Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #3661
PCS_Sagat_Buyer
Birdman

Here is my set up, I gotta say, id pull my hair out trying to go for consistency. So I have a Jim Lee Cyclops and a House of X Magneto with an Astonishing Wolverine. For me, I just bought what represents the various eras of the X-Men. I have a Moducase pending that will encase them, and then I think I'm done with this line. BTW apologies for having 2 XM statues in a Sideshow thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	statues.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	133166  
PCS_Sagat_Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #3662
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I really think the popularity of some of these characters is being overestimated. 2000 for Blob is a big stretch when they couldn't sell 1800 Emma Frost. Juggernaut is still available with an ES of 1200 (with a huge price tag).

Toad and Pyro just don't have the juice. Too much time spent as minor characters with inconsistent looks. Maybe Mr. Sinister, but he doesn't even have a big movie appearance to boost recognition.

Heroes are way more likely, but how many years would it take to get to Bishop at the rate of a few characters a year, with how many more high-selling Wolverines along the way? Rights issues don't look good for Nightcrawler, though. Shame, he could have some really cool design options and sell well. Iron Studios aren't even getting one out.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #3663
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
I really think the popularity of some of these characters is being overestimated. 2000 for Blob is a big stretch when they couldn't sell 1800 Emma Frost. Juggernaut is still available with an ES of 1200 (with a huge price tag).

Toad and Pyro just don't have the juice. Too much time spent as minor characters with inconsistent looks. Maybe Mr. Sinister, but he doesn't even have a big movie appearance to boost recognition.

Heroes are way more likely, but how many years would it take to get to Bishop at the rate of a few characters a year, with how many more high-selling Wolverines along the way? Rights issues don't look good for Nightcrawler, though. Shame, he could have some really cool design options and sell well. Iron Studios aren't even getting one out.
I think a lot has to do with the sculpt and cost, two examples you used fit quite well. Emma is really not a good piece in my opinion (sorry and no offense to those who love her) and juggernaut's price is extremely inflated, not to mention a lot of people feel he's under sized.

I think something like this could be popular, if it's done right and it looks good. I'll use an example from XM where a very little known character like scorpion now fetches multiple times it's base cost on the after market. I'm not sure how many examples there are of that and more specifically, how many from sideshow with large ES sizes but I think anything can be popular if it has an appealing sculpt that people really like.

I definitely agree with your comment about heroes though. I think a bishop or Nightcrawler could be extremely popular but it's still all according to how it looks. Prices are going up and people are rightfully being more and more picky in terms of what to add to their collection. I've seen this a few times now so perhaps someone here knows but what's the deal with nightcrawlers licensing anyways? Why him specifically?
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #3664
saberhagen

I've heard it has something to do with Disney not wanting to license out a "demonic" character, but it seems pretty weird to single out that one character, especially since he's often religious and the most sympathetic.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #3665
saberhagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilledButton View Post
I think a lot has to do with the sculpt and cost, two examples you used fit quite well. Emma is really not a good piece in my opinion (sorry and no offense to those who love her) and juggernaut's price is extremely inflated, not to mention a lot of people feel he's under sized.
If Juggernaut is inflated and undersized, I can only imagine what a 1/4 Blob would be like. No way it would be under $1000. Hard to see a Blob that is better sculpted and cheaper than Juggernaut, all while being less popular generally.

XM can take chances like Magik because the company is smaller and has different profit targets. Harder to botch the rollout of Magik at $1000+ (to get it to the US) at an ES of 338. SSC has shown no interest in the margins on an ES that small.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #3666
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Yep definitely fair points, I'd agree.

Also interesting about nightcrawler, don't understand why he's singled out but seems silly. He's such a fan favorite, would be a huge hit if done right.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #3667
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Dupe
Old 09-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #3668
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
I've heard it has something to do with Disney not wanting to license out a "demonic" character, but it seems pretty weird to single out that one character, especially since he's often religious and the most sympathetic.
This is a long, ridiculously perpetuated rumor.

If they didn’t want anything to do with Nightcrawler, he wouldn’t be in the comics. They have plenty of power over the comics since that entire round of bull$hit when they changed Scarlet Witch’s family history bc they didn’t own the movie right back then. Making a statue is an ownership rights issue, that’s also why it took forever for another Rogue to be made.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #3669
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
This is a long, ridiculously perpetuated rumor.

If they didn’t want anything to do with Nightcrawler, he wouldn’t be in the comics.
I don’t know. Grim Knight is in the comics, but that approval isn’t coming anytime soon.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #3670
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I don’t know. Grim Knight is in the comics, but that approval isn’t coming anytime soon.
Really?.....that’s disappointing.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote