Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 02-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #541
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

The bottom line is when we're paying the amount of money we pay for these stupid things, anything less than what we're initially shown should be unacceptable. These aren't mass produced action figures sold at Target, they're $1,000 pieces of "art" and they make about 1,000 of them. No one is "wrong" to hold them to an extremely high standard.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 AM   #542
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
The bottom line is when we're paying the amount of money we pay for these stupid things, anything less than what we're initially shown should be unacceptable. These aren't mass produced action figures sold at Target, they're $1,000 pieces of "art" and they make about 1,000 of them. No one is "wrong" to hold them to an extremely high standard.
Unfortunately I have about 100 of these damn things, and I can’t think of many that actually matched the promotional images. To this day that statement that says the production piece may differ from the prototype still raises my blood pressure.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:49 AM   #543
snakej32
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Absolutely. If this opinion was more common maybe Prime 1 and Sideshow wouldn't continue getting a pass from their customers. I do get tired of seeing some of the apologists on here attempting to blame flaws on "bad photos" or "flash" just because they have the statue preordered themselves.
snakej32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:57 AM   #544
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Keep in mind they're still made in China. Massively overpriced. These should be made in Japan with more care IMO.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:06 AM   #545
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Keep in mind they're still made in China. Massively overpriced. These should be made in Japan with more care IMO.
And then increase the cost by another 50%... well maybe.

Labour costs in China have risen dramatically this past decade to match the increasing standard of living.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #546
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakej32 View Post
Absolutely. If this opinion was more common maybe Prime 1 and Sideshow wouldn't continue getting a pass from their customers. I do get tired of seeing some of the apologists on here attempting to blame flaws on "bad photos" or "flash" just because they have the statue preordered themselves.
Those can be legitimate reasons for bad images. There have been many occasions were pieces have gone from that looks crap, to that looks great just by having a different person behind the camera.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #547
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakej32 View Post
I feel so sad for you. My advice, take some rest, and stop bothering about guys like me who has preordered this statue.
I am like St Thomas, I believe only what I see. Almost two years I am waiting for Bat52, so I don’t gonna let a lighting with some kinda super powers of "sculpt erasing" ruining my excitement.

He will be very welcomed at home and I’ll see. Period.
Every person who's done photos in a professionnal way - or at least in an enlighten way- knows we can do a lot with lighting: we can "sculpt", but we can erase, too.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #548
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Flash photography is a real issue. But, it does look like there were changes to the sculpted details in the cape. It's up to the individual and their tolerances whether they want to accept those changes in the final product. Both opinions on that are completely valid.

Seeing these photos in hand, this looks like the best Batman statue I've ever seen! I believe the question that you need to ask yourself is if the original solicit featured photos of the production piece, would you have still PO'd? For me, absolutely yes!

Pics courtesy of Jack Marsh on Facebook.

GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #549
snakej32
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Those can be legitimate reasons for bad images. There have been many occasions were pieces have gone from that looks crap, to that looks great just by having a different person behind the camera.
I agree that the right photos can make a huge difference, the photos above do make the piece look better. Unfortunately sometimes sideshow or prime 1 just cheap out and there is a dip in quality compared to the prototype (Justice League Superman) or the face sculpt is terrible and inaccurate (Prime 1 Denarys and Evil Dead) and it has nothing to do with lighting or the photos. All I am saying is that the tendency to assume it is always just a bad photo is a mistake, especially in an era when most people use a camera every day. For the prices they charge, when it is a QC or sculpt issue they shouldn't get a pass.
snakej32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #550
chronos1919
Nightwing

Looking forward to a decent video review.

This disappeared from Sideshow's "Last Chance" section. Looks like there might have been quite a few cancellations.

Edit: Never mind. Looks like I just wasn't filtering with the right selections. I thought this was listed under Prime 1, though I know it was a collaborative effort.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote