Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #981
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Closing in on 57, here, and damn if this thread isn't making me feel misty for my youth.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #982
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Closing in on 57, here, and damn if this thread isn't making me feel misty for my youth.
pshaw.

This year I can draw Social Security.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #983
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Wow! You have real treasure there!

From left to right you have:

The Amazing Spider-Man #14 (Green Goblin first appearance)
The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (Punisher first appearance)
The Avengers #57 (Vision first appearance)
The Amazing Spider-Man #1
The Amazing Spider-Man #2 (Vulture first appearance)
The Amazing Spider-Man #39 (First issue drawn by John Romita)
The Silver Surfer #1
The Incredible Hulk #2 (First appearance of Green Hulk)

You are correct, sir!

Incidentally, I had a local collector recently stop by for a visit. He wanted to see the XM Ghost Rider statue. As we got to talking about comics, I brought up Jack Kirby's name and he drew a blank. He had no idea who he was. It's moments like these (which are happening more often these days) which present as a sign of the times.

Sometimes I wonder if Marvel is cashing in on these omnibi while they can since most younger collectors would likely pass on them.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #984
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Unbelievable....not knowing Jack Kirby...
Old 02-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #985
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Marvel is cashing in on these omnibi while they can since most younger collectors would likely pass on them.

I surely hope so. If that is the only way to preserve and to present these timeless stories to a younger audience, I'm all for it. The original creators deserve all the credit they can get.

Now, in regards to some previous comments, I can agree that older comics were the best. Not only because the stories were self contained, but also because of its moral lessons. They addressed social issues with a broader view. They did not take sides but ask the important questions. It was up to the reader to make the clear choice.

Nowadays, comics are too political, almost falling into pure propaganda. "Acclaimed" authors these days are more interested in pushing their personal point of view, than allowing readers to think for themselves. Rewriting a character's gender, race, sexual orientation, political and religious affiliation is not only distasteful but also irresponsible. It changes the fundamentals that made these characters great in the first place. What some people call "mature" stories today, I call garbage. Not better than cheap tabloid.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #986
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Unbelievable....not knowing Jack Kirby...

It sounds bizarre, sure, but why would he know who he is? Most of these collectors were born in the 90s, likely after Kirby's passing, and have never really read book prior to this era.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 AM   #987
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It sounds bizarre, sure, but why would he know who he is? Most of these collectors were born in the 90s, likely after Kirby's passing, and have never really read book prior to this era.
Yeah, but we grew up long after Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster, Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Joe Simon, Joe Kubert, etc., and we collectors know who they are. No excuse for a collector to not know of The King.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #988
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Yeah, but we grew up long after Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster, Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Joe Simon, Joe Kubert, etc., and we collectors know who they are. No excuse for a collector to not know of The King.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #989
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
While I may feel old (think it mainly has to do with being a father of three boys) I always feel better knowing I'm not as old as some of the dinosaurs that roam these forums.

^ Like this guy.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I surely hope so. If that is the only way to preserve and to present these timeless stories to a younger audience, I'm all for it. The original creators deserve all the credit they can get.

Now, in regards to some previous comments, I can agree that older comics were the best. Not only because the stories were self contained, but also because of its moral lessons. They addressed social issues with a broader view. They did not take sides but ask the important questions. It was up to the reader to make the clear choice.

Nowadays, comics are too political, almost falling into pure propaganda. "Acclaimed" authors these days are more interested in pushing their personal point of view, than allowing readers to think for themselves. Rewriting a character's gender, race, sexual orientation, political and religious affiliation is not only distasteful but also irresponsible. It changes the fundamentals that made these characters great in the first place. What some people call "mature" stories today, I call garbage. Not better than cheap tabloid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I'm pretty much agreeing too (as a "young" guy)

I do really like the oldr comics coming out in omnibus format so I can go back and read those old issues I'd otherwise I would never be able to read them.

I do also agree with "today's" comics. For me it seems my personal sweet spot is 2000 - 2010. Everything I have been reading lately from that time period I love. Seems the last few years is all the propaganda which I really, really do not enjoy.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #990
Davidian
Omega Flight

Sweet spot for me would be 90's to early-to-mid 2000's.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote