Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Vracula
Jedi Order

Is the Hobby at an all time low?

I have been waiting on a discount so I can buy the Captain America Premium format. So I received the new year 25$ discount but I still can't pull the trigger , it will cost me about 1095$ aud total ,that's a lot of money for a collectible that is guaranteed to not retain any resale value not because it's a terrible piece, infact it's an amazing piece but with the high edition size I can wait even longer for a deeper discount.
Forget SS , let's looks at Prime 1, their stuff is still available, PCS has damaged their reputation with customers so badly that their stuff is deeply discounted.

Not sure how companies can continue this trend, I understand that licensing costs are probably at an all time high , but there is no collectibility left in the hobby, how much longer before people just straight up stop buying ?
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

How many "sky is falling" threads do we need?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

A very interesting question. I have stopped my pre-order buying habits and joined the bargain shopping parade. What is coming out is at an all time high for prototype art and design. What is at an all time low is the statue value proposition. That statue you buy today will have high probability of losing value from the day it ships and the icing is will even sell for a discount from the same supplier in a short time. If you just want the art and have deep pockets, great. For the rest including me, suck it up buttercup and let's all see where this hobby goes.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Yes, I feel companies started wanted a piece of the aftermarket pie and raised prices too fast(SS leading the charge) seeing past releases rise double to triple the original price. I think they're still raising them way too fast and there's so many options now with all the companies that people are realizing that waiting is the best option most of the time. PCS's situation and certain companies releasing variants make it even easier to not PO anymore. If you spent $1,000 a few years ago you could get around 3 1/4 statues, now you're lucky if you can get 2 and most of the new pieces plummet quickly after release.

I'm not really buying the licensing costs being so high either because there's been so many new companies popping up out of nowhere with some of the most popular licenses. They're just trying to make as much profit as possible without hurting the sales too bad imo.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

It's been said plenty here but if you're in this for resale value, then inevitably you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a hobby to retire off of, it just isn't. I get people hoping to be able to recoup what they spent on an item like this (perhaps even make money) but if it's that big of a thing to you then I just don't see how you could be happy over the long term. For how much people like to act like this is a more recent "problem" I can go on eBay and see A LOT of older P1/SS statues that sell right around, if not below their original price. And besides at the end of the day it's not up to these companies to make you money, they're trying to make themselves money. They're going to balance collectible "value" and ability to maximize revenue as much as possible, as well they should. Having said that, some of Sideshow's ES's are a bit silly.

While I do think there is some risk of over saturation (I think P1, while making the best stuff, overextends themselves,) overall I think things are ok. I think something that people who have been in it for a while may have a hard time acknowledging is that there are always going to be new people entering the hobby, and MOST of those people are not going to be the obsessive collectors that many in a place like this are. They want a Captain America statue because, well.....they like Captain America. And that's it. The thought of "Maybe I could sell this for a profit in a few years" doesn't even enter their mind. And I sure as hell know there isn't 1 purchase I've ever made where I cared about that in any way whatsoever. The DKR Master Race Batman is awesome and I'd happily buy it whether they made 1,000 or 10,000.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
Mister H
Green Goblin

It seems to be doing just fine. There has to be a lot of demand for there to be so many statues being produced. The market may slow down eventually but I doubt it will ever completely tank though.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Speaking only for myself... I only acquired 4 pieces this year, one of which was almost entirely paid for by Sideshow points. I have not purchased this few statues since the late 90s. While the sky has not quite landed just yet for me, I can feel its descent.

I've also often relied on the sales of older pieces to help subsidize new purchases. Sadly, resales have been almost impossible lately without sustaining a sizeable loss. Tough roads ahead for collectors and producers alike, I'm afraid. Thing is, statues are as stunning as ever.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Something that comes to mind for me is the difference between buying for resale and buying at lowest price. I am one of those people that have little to no intention to sell but have switched my buying habits to the wait and see model as there is no value to being the earlier adopter. I like to buy at the lowest price but I guess I'm in the minority. Thank you to anyone who likes to pay full price so that discounts may be had in the future. This is the dichotomy created in the collector world.

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
supermetroid
Teen Titans

^You're all correct, and being in the hobby for a while it's a big change.

Old days, spend 300 bucks and at worst it might drop to 250 or it could double in value just as easy.

Now it's 500 and hope it doesn't drop 30-40% after release.

I know it's not about making money, but I feel new collectors jumping in will start seeing that preordering can be costly and that's not good for the hobby imo.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
It's been said plenty here but if you're in this for resale value, then inevitably you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a hobby to retire off of, it just isn't. I get people hoping to be able to recoup what they spent on an item like this (perhaps even make money) but if it's that big of a thing to you then I just don't see how you could be happy over the long term. For how much people like to act like this is a more recent "problem" I can go on eBay and see A LOT of older P1/SS statues that sell right around, if not below their original price. And besides at the end of the day it's not up to these companies to make you money, they're trying to make themselves money. They're going to balance collectible "value" and ability to maximize revenue as much as possible, as well they should. Having said that, some of Sideshow's ES's are a bit silly.

While I do think there is some risk of over saturation (I think P1, while making the best stuff, overextends themselves,) overall I think things are ok. I think something that people who have been in it for a while may have a hard time acknowledging is that there are always going to be new people entering the hobby, and MOST of those people are not going to be the obsessive collectors that many in a place like this are. They want a Captain America statue because, well.....they like Captain America. And that's it. The thought of "Maybe I could sell this for a profit in a few years" doesn't even enter their mind. And I sure as hell know there isn't 1 purchase I've ever made where I cared about that in any way whatsoever. The DKR Master Race Batman is awesome and I'd happily buy it whether they made 1,000 or 10,000.
Couldn't agree more. And as a collector who simply wants their favorite characters represented in 1/4 or 1/3 or 1/5 or 1/6 scale on display in their Den / Library / "Man Cave" there has never been a better time to be a fan. All the main players gobbling up the licenses has sent the market into hyper speed. It's amazing how many pieces were released last year alone.

Very soon, Any fan can easily grab an entire Batman line, or Justice League or Avengers in one fell swoop and not sit here waiting forever like we are like a bunch of dodo birds!
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote