Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

Or someone important to the company, at editorial meetings saying "why don't we try this ...." or "This would be neat if we ..." w/ Danny-boy replying "that's GOLD, I tell ya, gold., Let's do it!"
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Or someone important to the company, at editorial meetings saying "why don't we try this ...." or "This would be neat if we ..." w/ Danny-boy replying "that's GOLD, I tell ya, gold., Let's do it!"
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That's an interesting theory -- someone worse than Didio and Berganza making an even bigger mess?

Only recent big personnel change that comes to mind is Geoff Johns resigning and Jim Lee taking his place as Chief Creative Officer. That'd mean he's the one who's responsible for these bone-headed decisions, though I think even he was unaware of the Batman nudity in Damned. (I had no problems with the nudity. The awful storytelling is the real issue.)
I didn't either. Just chose not to participate. That being said, it sure was all the buzz for a week or so. I don't ever need to see the bat-thingy & too many little kids are running around w/ Batman tee-shirts for me to think that this might not have been intended-controversy.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That's an interesting theory -- someone worse than Didio and Berganza making an even bigger mess?

Only recent big personnel change that comes to mind is Geoff Johns resigning and Jim Lee taking his place as Chief Creative Officer. That'd mean he's the one who's responsible for these bone-headed decisions, though I think even he was unaware of the Batman nudity in Damned. (I had no problems with the nudity. The awful storytelling is the real issue.)
Or a bald savior who recently swam over to DC after having pissed off a few fans at Marvel & loves to stir pots & shake things up. Once again, just a theory & I am not saying it's true. Just discussing.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Or a bald savior who recently swam over to DC after having pissed off a few fans at Marvel & loves to stir pots & shake things up. Once again, just a theory & I am not saying it's true. Just discussing.
I don't think Bendis has any input on Batfamily titles, though yeah, the Walmart Lois Lane story could be one of his ideas since he's the Superman guy now.

I agree with Augen, though -- the story isn't the problem, it's just putting it on Walmart shelves without being shrinkwrapped is a terrible business decision. (Plus, wasn't this done already in Injustice?)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #16
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
I didn't either. Just chose not to participate. That being said, it sure was all the buzz for a week or so. I don't ever need to see the bat-thingy & too many little kids are running around w/ Batman tee-shirts for me to think that this might not have been intended-controversy.
I read Killing Joke and Death in the Family as Batman stories when I was a kid. Nothing new and I'll defend comic companies making R rated content.

I take issue more with Didios hate Dick Grayson and Wally West (I have my personal suspicions about Kara Zor-L as well). The whole New 53 was a debacle for me.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm an Garth Ennis addict & also have no problems with R rated comics. & you're right, violence & shock is nothing new in Batman. But ... nudity is. & that's what got the public's attention. I only read The Flash & Batman now from DC w/ the occasional Batgirl when Gothamite really pushes it. So I don't know about Nightwing, but you seem to be right about Wally.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #18
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
w/ the occasional Batgirl when Gothamite really pushes it.
Aw, hey, the Mairghread Scott run so far is pretty good! The twice-monthly comics have kinda spoiled me, though. I get irritated with comics that are released only monthly.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
I'm an Garth Ennis addict & also have no problems with R rated comics. & you're right, violence & shock is nothing new in Batman. But ... nudity is. & that's what got the public's attention. I only read The Flash & Batman now from DC w/ the occasional Batgirl when Gothamite really pushes it. So I don't know about Nightwing, but you seem to be right about Wally.
They labeled it Black Label and made it a different size. The first few panels have lots of blood. I don't get it because I did art classes and we drew nude models as art has done for centuries. If a penis in shadow shocks the mind more than a brutal murder I think it says more about people than the work.

I have several books I read, with Doomsday Clock being the big event that I hope pays off as been an uneven several years at DC after I loved the 00s.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I dropped Batgirl if it's not hard cover, it's not worth my time is my motto now as a HC collector. Gail Simone's run was not that good as well but whatever... that Batgirl had his revenge from Joker part where she beated Joker slowly while talking was pathetic... As a big Joker fan, that kind of bad writting only makes me laugh, like recent Amanda Conner Harley Quinn also beating up Joker... empower women pc ----... i will never read Harley as long as someone takes that woman away from Harley.

I boycot Black Label for not having Bat penis in HC edition. Stupid half assed contraversy creator... I hated how they used Bat penis, that's not how you make a prestige book, and what is prestige book retarded DC, all your comics should be top notch, you can't make anything decent with your Batman title, and now, having this little black label to create prestige comics which i believe a word which used as GOOD COMICS, not the retarded ---- they pomp out in the regular Batman title...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote