Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Anyone have homemade Shevles or Displays?

Hey all...I was wondering if anyone had thier collection on homemade shelves or cases, and if so do they have pics.

I was thinking about taking one of my walls in the collection room and create some display for my statues, and was just looking to get some ideas.

Currently have detlof's but was looking for a solution that could give me more options for displays.

Thanks
Tom
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Unless I was a carpenter, I would just buy shelves such as Besta from ikea. It's weight tested and probably cheaper to buy then making it yourself.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I say go for it Tom. I was leaning in this direction until I found some cases that offered the flexibility I was looking for. I have some left over glass shelves from my cases that I am considering using as shelves for some cases I might build myself. Would you build them yourself?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I say go for it Tom. I was leaning in this direction until I found some cases that offered the flexibility I was looking for. I have some left over glass shelves from my cases that I am considering using as shelves for some cases I might build myself. Would you build them yourself?
I was thinking about building them with my Dad. He was in house and commercial construction forever.
Funny, I never really thought about it until I found the house I grew up for sale on a Wells Bowen site the other day...in one of the rooms my Dad built a computer desk/work area with shelves and it was in one of the pics...started me thinking about it.
Thought it would be a fun project and a cool way to display the collection.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I was thinking about building them with my Dad. He was in house and commercial construction forever.
Funny, I never really thought about it until I found the house I grew up for sale on a Wells Bowen site the other day...in one of the rooms my Dad built a computer desk/work area with shelves and it was in one of the pics...started me thinking about it.
Thought it would be a fun project and a cool way to display the collection.
Man Tom building out a display with your pops sounds like gold to me. Best of all worlds - a project with your dad that you will get enjoyment out of doing it and while viewing it for years to come

I may have to swing up to your neck of the woods if you do it

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Nice one Tom, I was going to do it too, just brought a new house, want to make one of the living room like a colloction room, since the space is big, I want to put many statues there, I have see one pretty good, and YouTube have some good ones, and yea the ikea Besta is really good, but it will be expensive to have too many of them..... Please people , picture for the homemade display!!
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Lostang04
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jye318 View Post
Nice one Tom, I was going to do it too, just brought a new house, want to make one of the living room like a colloction room, since the space is big, I want to put many statues there, I have see one pretty good, and YouTube have some good ones, and yea the ikea Besta is really good, but it will be expensive to have too many of them..... Please people , picture for the homemade display!!

My dad built this for me and is currently working on one for a friend of mine .If interested pm me.
Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The 2 end pieces are 4' wide , 20" deep and 9' tall. Middle section 4' wide , 30" deep and 9' tall
Lostang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
rychehitman
Galactus

Tom...do these have to be behind glass? Mainly for fs's?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
travis
A.I.M.

these are 2 ft deep each is 27" high...slat board backing for total custom heights for additional inner shelf space if needed...rest is red oak...I was originally just going to do a slatwall wall and buy the hooks and use planks...that would be more economical...you paint it what ever color you wish and you decide on heights for your shelving...for extra strength you use more hooks for heavy pieces...use glass or wood shelving...or no shelving...just use the hooks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1543.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	60706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	60707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	60708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2278.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	60709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	60710  

travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
ronnin
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I made this myself and if your dad has experiance with carpentry,this should be easy for him.I used as little wood as i could and a lot of glass.Check out my thread,it has a lot more pics and a video.

ronnin is offline   Reply With Quote