Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
When is the last time a Star Trek film made you "think in new ways"?
Star Trek the Motion Picture.

I thought, "What the f#$k am I watching?"

I was 3 years old.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

First Contact I think was a good action vs Trek message.
You had the Borg as villain and fighting involved with that so you have the drama and action, but also the incredible importance stressed about humanity reaching for the stars and how transformative developing the technology to do so would be.
The reverence and awe given to the actual moment of first contact as well. Goldsmith's sweeping score. Cochrane's great line that underscored what this crew was about....
".... and your astronauts on some kind of star trek." Funny line but it stressed that at it's core it is really about a trek to the stars. And Cochrane's conversion to realizing what he had invented as he saw the earth for the first time from space. Lily also marveling at the Enterprise herself that is to be one day, how she envied that future, as we do, as we must. Also Data's great wish to become human, this character like TOS Spock helped us explore what it is to be human by having that outside view looking inward.

I am not wrong to want Trek to make me think again.

And I know there are writers that can do this.
There is a mountain of science fiction in any bookstore.

Roddenberry sought out people that could offer new ways of thinking to write episodes. Women like Dorothy Fontana which at that time was a big deal, she actually had to use pen names because
of the male dominance at the time.

Kirk said once.... "Risk, that's what this starship is all about, that's why were aboard her."

That risk was to advance humanity in some new way, it was worth it. Not just self preservation, but to take
us another step forward. Trek as fiction and Sci Fi needs to do this, keep pressing into exciting new possibilities in stories.

They need to take some risks and stop dumbing things down, the audience is not as stupid as they think, don't underestimate them.
I'm starved for good Sci Fi films. Endless battles and beat downs is not cutting it just because it is set in space.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post

Kirk said once.... "Risk, that's what this starship is all about, that's why were aboard her."

They need to take some risks and stop dumbing things down, the audience is not as stupid as they think, don't underestimate them.
I'm starved for good Sci Fi films. Endless battles and beat downs is not cutting it just because it is set in space.
Yes they are. They absolutely are.

Intelligent film viewers out outnumbered 100,000:1

The ratio of bottom feeder movies made, compared to smart, well acted, and engaging movies is easily 500:1.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccowen View Post
Yes they are. They absolutely are.

Intelligent film viewers out outnumbered 100,000:1

The ratio of bottom feeder movies made, compared to smart, well acted, and engaging movies is easily 500:1.
This is the what makes Star Trek special, it is a wonderful delivery method for higher concepts and still be massively entertaining. Babes, aliens, spaceship battles but can also contain some marvelous ideas.
You get them in with the action and FX, etc, but you hook them for life with the things that linger in the mind.

Yes the demographic may be a somewhat different make up from the mass audience, but there are ton of people like me starving for thoughtful stories.

As comic readers we know when stories are going to be talked about for years to come or just buried in time like a quickly consumed can of soda for a sugar rush.

“Q: The Continuum didn't think you had it in you, Jean-Luc. But I knew you did...We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.

Picard: When I realized the paradox.

Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. That is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.”
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Joe Cornish tipped to direct Star Trek 3
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/joe-co...ct-star-trek-3
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I get where you're coming from but the ST films for the most part have not really gone down that path, and the one time they did (ST: TMP) it didn't produce the greatest of results.

The TV shows have always done the best job of providing thought provoking episodes. The films were more about the adventure side of things, more than anything because they were meant to appeal to a larger and broader audience than the show.

I have no doubt that there could be a ST film that satisfies people seeking both aspects and prove successful, but it just hasn't been made yet. I am afraid that if the the box office doesn't stay strong for the action based films, Paramount will most likely not gamble on a more cerebral ST film.

I think it might be time for a new TV series to go along with the films.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci Splitting Up on Bigscreen | Variety

"Orci is currently laser focused on the upcoming “Star Trek 3.” He’s already been tapped to pen the picture along with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne and he’s heavily lobbying to direct the production. The film’s co-producers, J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and David Ellison’s Skydance, appear to be in favor of that, but people familiar with the situation say that Paramount is being cautious. If Orci were to land the assignment, “Star Trek 3” would mark his directorial debut."

Come on Paramount, there has to be someone more qualified in Hollywood who can steer this Star Trek sequel in a better direction.

Please Jesus Don't Let Roberto Orci Direct STAR TREK 3 | Badass Digest

Last edited by Spideristic; 04-22-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Article link
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I really liked the reboot star trek movies, but I agree that they've moved away from the "space exploration" side of things, especially with trek2, that was just a revenge flick, I really liked it for what it was, but it didnt have the "heart" of star trek
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #19
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Paramount Hires Guy With No Directing Experience For STAR TREK 3 | Badass Digest
Devin weighs on this decision by Paramount.

devincf: "JJ Abrams supported Orci doing TREK 3 in order to guarantee no one made a better movie than his.

What must it be like to be a Trekkie like Orci is, to get the keys to the kingdom and yet be aware most other fans hate you?

Has Orci even directed a commercial or a music video or a wedding video?

Women directors who have actually directed things can't get blockbuster jobs but Orci never directs ANYTHING and gets STAR TREK 3.

Literally Paramount is saying a man with no experience is better than any experienced woman in Hollywood. "

Last edited by Spideristic; 05-14-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #20
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

2016 release date.
http://www.latino-review.com/news/pa...-release-dates
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote