Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #161
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
If you talk to Marvel, all you'll hear is, ''It sold really well'', I'm afraid. At least it is over.
Maybe to the LCS's, but my store had a pile of them right in the front of the store and none of them were moving.

Yeah, thank goodness it's over and Marvel can try to work their way back to good storytelling.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #162
protector2814
Phoenix

I wonder if when Marvel sets up a big booth at the larger cons like SDCC or NYCC, fans don't let them have it over modern story writing like this? They no longer set up at Baltimore's CC, if they did, I think I would.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #163
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I wonder if when Marvel sets up a big booth at the larger cons like SDCC or NYCC, fans don't let them have it over modern story writing like this? They no longer set up at Baltimore's CC, if they did, I think I would.
At SDCC it's rare to see Marvel editorial/creative brass, as opposed to hired booth workers and the occasional creative talent, at their booths. I think they avoid direct contact with fans these days on the floor and save it for Cup o' Joe type staged panel stuff.

I'm so looking forward to Waid's picking up the writing on Cap. If he can bring what he did to Cap before, or more recently on Daredevil and Black Widow, or previously on Justice League, Cap should be in good hands.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #164
protector2814
Phoenix

Brought this up because I do seem to recall Joe Quesada being at the Marvel Booth, when they ran one at the B-more con a few years back.

Like you, can't wait to see what Waid does w/ Cap. Loving his take on Archie Andrews too.

P.S. Funny you should mention Black Widow. I take it you read what happened to her in Secret Empire?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 PM   #165
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Brought this up because I do seem to recall Joe Quesada being at the Marvel Booth, when they ran one at the B-more con a few years back.

Like you, can't wait to see what Waid does w/ Cap. Loving his take on Archie Andrews too.

P.S. Funny you should mention Black Widow. I take it you read what happened to her in Secret Empire?
Actually I didn't but could infer what happened based on #10. Looks like she and Rick were together in one panel at the end of that issue though?

Edit: just looked this up online. Ouch! But, did Kobiak bring her and Rick back? Marvel should be better than this deus ex machina stuff they're pulling.

Last edited by wktf; 09-01-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #166
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Well, this scathing review of the final issue certainly supports your opinion of its being doggy poo poo.

I trust Mark Waid and am looking forward to his taking Cap's reigns now that this poorly conceived insult to Marvel's readership finally is over.

https://www.newsarama.com/36203-best...empire-10.html
Loved Waid and Garney's original run on Cap.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #167
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Loved Waid and Garney's original run on Cap.
It's about to be published in an omnibus.

Edit: here's the link:

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/c...mnibus-hc.html

Last edited by wktf; 09-03-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #168
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
The one I think is most likely has to do with Standoff.

He was exposed to the cosmic cube girl Kobik.

When she was bringing people back to normal she was likely influenced by Red Skull.

He had her bring him back "wrong". So he's a Captain America whose history was subtly altered or perceptually altered to create this "Hydra Cap".

And at some point he realizes this and resets his own history due to sheer force of will or some such and frees himself of what is essentially super advanced brainwashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
i haven't been around much lately but did read through this thread. Looks like I am in the minority on this one. I have really enjoyed this arc. Let me start with I have been reading Cap for over 30 years and he has had some BAD runs in that time frame and some really good ones. Since heroes reborn only the Mark Waid and Ed Brubaker runs were any good IMO. I hadn't enjoyed the Remender run and I picked up the current Hydra Cap series and didn't read it till last week. I had heard the grumblings about the Nazi Cap and totally understand where longtime readers would be angry, disgusted and downright pissed off. Here you have the living embodiment of America siding with the Nazi's . Now when you read the story and understand that the Red Skull used the Cosmic Cube to rewrite Steve's past and what he is doing it's not Cap and he was never a Nazi he was Hydra and that is a big difference. He didn't like Hitler nor the Skull .

I feel like I should comment on this particular comment and quote myself too. I wrote this right around when the news broke in June of 2016 apparently (IE when HYDRA Cap was unveiled in his #1). The twist as far as it goes was a very obvious one.

OH NOES CAP IS HYDRA.

Then comes the obvious answer because of COURSE he'd have to be reverted.

ON NOES HE'S NOT REALLY HYDRA HE'S ALTERED BY REALITY/MIND CONTROLLED.

As stories go I don't hate the idea but it's about as pointless as a story like this can be. I didn't quite get the answer right but it was more or less pretty close.

Like I've said elsewhere in the thread this isn't a Captain America story it's a HYDRA story and that's the most tiring part. No one who got angry really expected HYDRA Cap to be the only Cap forever or THE Cap status quo.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #169
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I did t expect it, but Spencer promised it was the one true Cap (see the link in this thread's first post). Then, of course, it turned out not to be, thus making him a complete liar. This storyline was spitting in fans's faces in more way than one as a result.