curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

http://www.minyanville.com/dailyfeed...als&from=yahoo
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
There are also such things as "Non-compete Clauses" ... I would be surprised if they weren't included in these Exec's contracts, but if they weren't then they're basically S.O.L.
The problem for paypal even if they had "non compete" clauses in contracts with the execs that left is that their redress would be against those execs and not the company they went to. They could sue the execs and go after even their personal assets but Google is under no obligation because of contracts signed between people they have hired and previous employers.

They could have something against google if they could show they illegally received proprietary materials (sort of like corporate world receiving stolen goods) but that rarely amounts to anything.

I think paypal is afraid that with a heavy hitter like google getting in to what they do that they will become "my space" and irrelevant over time.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
silly argument by Paypal
I agree
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

it's a sign of desperation from paypal because they're worried about losing market share. I'd like to see google take on eBay next (who I believe own paypal) then they'd really be worried, it's about time eBay had some real competition.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
it's a sign of desperation from paypal because they're worried about losing market share. I'd like to see google take on eBay next (who I believe own paypal) then they'd really be worried, it's about time eBay had some real competition.
they do own Paypal and I agree. It would be nice to see someone take on eBay.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Google is clearly in the wrong here and I hope Paypal crushes them in court. Here's a breakdown of what happened;

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/27/tech...suit/index.htm

Here are the highlights;

2010: Bedier becomes the senior PayPal executive in the negotiations with Google.

July 15, 2010: Tilenius begins attempting to lure Bedier away from PayPal to work for her at Google. She writes a Facebook message to Bedier that says "I heard from a little birdie that you might be open to bigger and better challenges, I have a HUGE opportunity for you, would love to chat if you are interested."

September 2010: Bedier begins interview process with Google as he continues to negotiate with Google on PayPal's behalf to make PayPal a mobile payments option on the Android Market. EBay says Bedier never informed the company of this conflict of interest.

Oct. 21, 2010: Bedier culminates interview process with Google by meeting with top Google executives, including then-President Larry Page.

Oct. 26, 2010: PayPal and Google finalize the Android Market deal. Google, however, declines to sign the deal.

Oct. 28, 2010: In his PayPal capacity, Bedier meets with Android head Andy Rubin about Google's strategic shift.

Oct. 31, 2010: Google offers Bedier a job.

Nov. 1, 2010: Bedier informs PayPal of his job offer. PayPal tells Bedier that he would be in violation of his contract if he accepted Google's offer.

Nov. 2, 2010: Bedier meets again with Rubin to discuss how he could help Google compete against PayPal.

Nov. 12, 2010: Google sends Bedier a formal offer of employment, but he does not immediately accept it.

Nov. 19, 2010: Bedier asks Tilenius whether he could bring PayPal co-workers over to Google with him in an e-mail saying, "If folks want to join me on day one -- how possible is this?"

Nov. 27, 2010: Tilenius sends Bedier a text message saying "By next week there will be more information I can share and you will see how the role at Google could be expanded considerably." Page speaks with Bedier about expanding his proposed role at Google, and Bedier formally accepts the job offer.

Dec. 2, 2010: Bedier changes his mind about Google, and informs PayPal of his decision to remain at the company rather than accepting Google's offer.

Dec. 3, 2010: Tilenius texts Bedier, asking if more money would help get him to change his mind.

January 2011: Bedier transfers PayPal's mobile payment strategy to his personal, non-PayPal computer.

Jan. 24, 2011: Bedier leaves PayPal for Google. PayPal says Bedier and Google have "misappropriated PayPal trade secrets by disclosing them within Google and to major retailers."

February 2011: Google inks a revised agreement with PayPal, but Google delays telling PayPal that it signed the agreement.

April 7, 2011: Google reneges on PayPal agreement, informing the company that it plans on building a competing product. Google recruits Usman Abbasi, a high-ranking PayPal engineer involved with mobile payments.

May 26, 2011: Google launches its new Google Wallet mobile-payment offering. EBay files its lawsuit against Google, Tilenius and Bedier in California's state court in Santa Clara.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
amen!
+2
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

People jump companies all the time, nature of the IT world.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #19
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

this is interesting. I agree with those that have said paypal is just trying to cover their butts.

folks leave all the time and though EW posted a timeline that appears a bit damming, where did the timeline come from etc? how does one prove the guy copied those files to his personal computer?

i tihnk google will crush them and for the better, we need another payment plan out there that would be accepted by folks.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD View Post
i tihnk google will crush them and for the better, we need another payment plan out there that would be accepted by folks.

AMEN BROTHER CHARLES! AMEN I SAY!!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote