Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #1021
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Rubbing alcohol, erasers, q-tips and cotton balls? I'd get it if were trying to restore a statue like a classic car but on a brand new one is madness...

but it is a passion to collect and I appreciate the madness
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #1022
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
Rubbing alcohol, erasers, q-tips and cotton balls? I'd get it if were trying to restore a statue like a classic car but on a brand new one is madness...

That is a great point you make. I think though, folks are backed into that corner by SS. So far I haven’t seen or heard anything from them about the paint issue, and it is an issue. Especially when you consider their Iron Man history. Yeah, they have the market pretty much cornered in 1/4 scale, but a little humility from them would go a long way.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #1023
traind
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
The Ex was never really a must for me, as it's not really all that accurate to the movie. In that it looks more like a robots head with all those thick wires and cables coming out of its neck, rather than the helmet of the Iron Monger where Obadiah Stanes head was partially located when the helmet plus chest was fully closed.

We just kind of discussed it on the other forum with stills from the movie and it's sort of odd that Sideshow went that design route.
I was noticing that too... definitely looks like a robot head.
traind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #1024
jac1066
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Using alcohol would scare me. I'll be concerned with removing the top coat just above the red and gold paints.
Rubbing alcohol is very mild, as long as the clear coat isn't thin it shouldn't be an issue. You can also thin the rubbing alcohol down with a little water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post

I don't recommend anybody do what I'm doing. I have been a painter most of my life starting with model cars, figure kits, scratch building models, molding and casting, I even do some airbrushing, pinstriping and paint cars occasionally. Point is I'm very comfortable with what I am doing, if I make a mistake I can easily fix it. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it. Having said that this is a $700 statue and if you're not happy with the paint job, send it back. The paint job out of the box is very good, the perfectionist in me knew with a little effort I can make it better.
jac1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #1025
Y3E
Gen 13

Finally, a good Ironman in my collection! No issues that I can see. No heavy black wash or boots overly muddy. And lights work too.

Wait, does the IronMonger eyes light up? I thought they did but I see no switch
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #1026
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
i dont believe irontmonger lights up

congrats though brother! glad you got a good one, mine ships in about a week - super stoked to finally have an iron man as well
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #1027
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Finally, a good Ironman in my collection! No issues that I can see. No heavy black wash or boots overly muddy. And lights work too.

I don't know why but I also thought they lit up.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #1028
sj9ers
Doh!

So I got my piece yesterday and the paint seems very sloppily applied and the panel lines aren't very crisp and the black wash is way too thick in some parts. This is my first statue and I'm pretty disappointed when inspecting it up close. The sculpt is amazing and the paint looks ok from looking at it far away but up close it just looks sloppy. However the base and exclusive head look amazing like a different factory did it. I've decided to either return this or get it redone. Does anyone know of any statue painters that could work there magic on this? The Mark 3 is my favorite armor and I doubt another version will be released anytime soon is the only reason I'm considering getting this redone.
sj9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #1029
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i dont believe irontmonger lights up

congrats though brother! glad you got a good one, mine ships in about a week - super stoked to finally have an iron man as well
Good luck with IM.

One gripe though. He has a puny head
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #1030
gorocketcat
Sailor Moon

Apparently the base is too big for him to fit into a besta. I didn't know this. This totally throws off my display.
gorocketcat is offline   Reply With Quote