Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #491
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
The video looks about the same as what we have seen. His review didn't change my opinion. The only thing that sucks to me is how much hair product they put in it. I haven't seen anyone make a video about improving that unfortunately. I would assume just water and a toothpick could vastly improve it?
I'm not playing with his hair for a least a year in case I decide to unload him after the 1/4 QS comes out or I'd have pictures and a guide up.

I've heard collectors use bottled water, a mini comb, hobby tweezers and non-cheap product. I'm sure a toothpick would work. Everything I've seen has you wetting the hanging clumps in the front of his face and sides then using a comb through them. Once that's done you can use the tweezers or toothpick with some product to get your desired effect. Once you remove the crud they used to stiffen and clumps and strands its smooth sailing because his hair isn't like CW where you have to worry about split ends and such. It's definitely not the same material. I'm actually more nervous to play around with the QS 1/3 piece because of the mixed poly in the hair. You really don't know what you're going to uproot there.

I feel for the guy in the video. He's going to be there all day trying get the hair to remotely look like the production piece because of how it flopped around and rested in the box.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #492
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
I'm not playing with his hair for a least a year in case I decide to unload him after the 1/4 QS comes out or I'd have pictures and a guide up.

I've heard collectors use bottled water, a mini comb, hobby tweezers and non-cheap product. I'm sure a toothpick would work. Everything I've seen has you wetting the hanging clumps in the front of his face and sides then using a comb through them. Once that's done you can use the tweezers or toothpick with some product to get your desired effect. Once you remove the crud they used to stiffen and clumps and strands its smooth sailing because his hair isn't like CW where you have to worry about split ends and such. It's definitely not the same material. I'm actually more nervous to play around with the QS 1/3 piece because of the mixed poly in the hair. You really don't know what you're going to uproot there.

I feel for the guy in the video. He's going to be there all day trying get the hair to remotely look like the production piece because of how it flopped around and rested in the box.
good point, thanks for the tips. I also have the QS artist coming in. Not sure which one will come first for me, but one will most likely get sold. I also will try to go for the 1/6 figures given how well they are done.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #493
xpl0sive
Justice League

Unfortunately that guy's Joker is one of the worst examples I've seen. Mine looks far better than that. Still, nothing a bit of futzing can't fix.

There is nothing wrong with the hair strands. They're as thin as they come. The issue is they use a lot of product to 'sculpt' the hair. Some will have it worse than others. My Queen Studios 1/3 came with a lot of product in the hair too and I hated the super slicked back look, so I sprayed the hair with water and used tweezers and a toothpick to adjust it.

If you have a problem with the hair on your JND piece, I would advise against using a comb, unless you completely wash out the product first, otherwise the comb will get stuck in the hair and you will mess it up and pull out hair strands (happened to me on the QS piece). Best bet is to use tweezers and a tooth pick to separate the strands wherever it's too clumpy if you don't want to wash out the product completely.

Mine came out reasonably well out of the box so I had no issues with it. Some might find it too thick, but it looks good to me. I could potentially thin it out some more but I don't want to mess it up.

xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #494
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
He's a person who has started a YouTube channel and given himself a voice.....he's not God, or the be all, end all of statue art. Why does his opinion carry any more weight than those who are happy with their statue.

Everything about our hobby is subjective, but the only opinion that counts is our own opinion. Every time we pre order a Statue, we roll the dice and take a risk.....it's as simple as that.
It doesn't sound like you watched it, because he doesn't give it a caustic review or even voice regret over his purchase. He actually says just the opposite- but his disappointment with it is palpable.

Also, I watched a ton of silicone statue unboxings/reviews over the weekend (not just his), and this one was, to my eyes, sobering.

The initial opening of the shipper, and seeing the quality of board used for the artbox, and the conscientiously packed foam around the artbox, as well as the type of foam used inside for the statue, all bespoke of a high quality experience.

It wasn't until he pulled out the figure that I, as a viewer, couldn't help but see it was a lackluster product.
The main thought I had the whole time was, "what a triumph of marketing this company is" not "wow, this is a truly premium looking product."
It looked OK. It not only didn't look like anything truly special, the amount of product that was in the hair was such that I thought for a second it was fully sculpted- and not well sculpted at that.
For the premium cost, this should have been plug and play. Instead, it's going to require a ton of futzing.

If his figure isn't representative of what other collectors here are getting, that's great for those other collectors.
This stuff is subjective and owner satisfaction is all that matters in the end.
OTOH, if this isn't indicative of the baseline quality, then, despite their company patter, JND has terrible QC- at a time when their output is still modest. If this is what slips through now, imagine the clunkers that will show up when they are pumping out three to four times the product.

I have no beef with JND. No reason to tear them down out of spite or to cheerlead some other company they are in competition with. I just find what I'm seeing here, with this, very underwhelming for the cost.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:56 AM   #495
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Back on page 38, there was a good example of what one collector was able to do with the hair that I though looked pretty great. They thinned out the goo,lightened the green and also "frizzed" his hair a bit to match Ledgers.
It made a big improvement in the likeness imho.

Also quite a few people said you ready need to let the clothes settle a bit out of the box and play with it for the best results.

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone said they steamed the clothes and thought it made a difference in presentation. Id be careful about using steam on a silicone figure.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:11 AM   #496
xpl0sive
Justice League

I steamed the clothes on mine. It does make a big difference.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:04 AM   #497
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
It doesn't sound like you watched it, because he doesn't give it a caustic review or even voice regret over his purchase. He actually says just the opposite- but his disappointment with it is palpable.

Also, I watched a ton of silicone statue unboxings/reviews over the weekend (not just his), and this one was, to my eyes, sobering.

The initial opening of the shipper, and seeing the quality of board used for the artbox, and the conscientiously packed foam around the artbox, as well as the type of foam used inside for the statue, all bespoke of a high quality experience.

It wasn't until he pulled out the figure that I, as a viewer, couldn't help but see it was a lackluster product.
The main thought I had the whole time was, "what a triumph of marketing this company is" not "wow, this is a truly premium looking product."
It looked OK. It not only didn't look like anything truly special, the amount of product that was in the hair was such that I thought for a second it was fully sculpted- and not well sculpted at that.
For the premium cost, this should have been plug and play. Instead, it's going to require a ton of futzing.

If his figure isn't representative of what other collectors here are getting, that's great for those other collectors.
This stuff is subjective and owner satisfaction is all that matters in the end.
OTOH, if this isn't indicative of the baseline quality, then, despite their company patter, JND has terrible QC- at a time when their output is still modest. If this is what slips through now, imagine the clunkers that will show up when they are pumping out three to four times the product.

I have no beef with JND. No reason to tear them down out of spite or to cheerlead some other company they are in competition with. I just find what I'm seeing here, with this, very underwhelming for the cost.

I did skip through some of the (IMHO) boring and tedious "unboxing" sequences - so it's absolutely possible I missed some nuance in his overall reaction.

If you're genuinely unsatisfied with this, or any other JND product, of course you should avoid it. My only point was to be careful using the opinions of others as a guiding reference for your own eventual actions. I did this with a few pieces (Catwoman and WW84) - didn't work out too well for me

I honestly don't see JND staying in this space for much longer (IMHO) - same as Queen Studios.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #498
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:

I did skip through some of the (IMHO) boring and tedious "unboxing" sequences - so it's absolutely possible I missed some nuance in his overall reaction.

If you're genuinely unsatisfied with this, or any other JND product, of course you should avoid it. My only point was to be careful using the opinions of others as a guiding reference for your own eventual actions. I did this with a few pieces (Catwoman and WW84) - didn't work out too well for me

I honestly don't see JND staying in this space for much longer (IMHO) - same as Queen Studios.
Because of their entry into the 1/6 figure space?
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #499
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
Because of their entry into the 1/6 figure space?
Exactly. It's a feeling I have.

If I look back into recent history, I can only think of two companies who tried to transition from 1/6 to statues - and that effort, in both cases, bombed hard! Such that they turned coat and went right back to 1/6. Damtoys and Soldier Story.

Another predominantly 1/6 company was simply unable to transition into statues without establishing a partnership. Blitzway.

And if statues are such a lucrative option, why has Hot Toys never made the leap to offer statues? Considering their success at providing realistic headsculpt at 1/6 - 1/4 or 1/3 should be a no brainer.......they never did it.

Now, admittedly, there could be a multitude of reasons for the above pattern....but, a pattern does exist. In every case, 1/6 proved to be a more successful avenue than statues.

Fast forward to today - and with companies like Sideshow slowing down statue releases, Tweeterhead tending towards smaller scales, and companies like Queen and JND (arguably at the top of their game) - suddenly transitioning to 1/6.....in my opinion, the writing is on the wall.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #500
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Another predominantly 1/6 company was simply unable to transition into statues without establishing a partnership. Blitzway.
Blitzway has been a statues company since its inception. Their first two products were their 'Game of Death' and 'Enter the Dragon' 1:3 statues, and it wasn't until some time later, after at least a few more pieces, such as their first Marilyn and Rocky, I think, that they released their first 1:6 figure (Carlito's Way Pacino), followed by Fight Club Pitt

Quote:
Fast forward to today - and with companies like Sideshow slowing down statue releases, Tweeterhead tending towards smaller scale
Quite the opposite for Tweeterhead, as only now are they doing larger scale statues, starting with their 1/4 Pfeiffer and now their still unreleased dual option for certain DC pieces (1/6 and 1/4).
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote