Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
DamonO
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Artists that deserve your business

Greetings, all. As we all know, there are numerous threads here calling out artists who, for whatever reason, have had problems with their clients. After being in this hobby for over 15 years, I've certainly had my share. But there have also been some who have consistently given me great artwork for great pricing and do an outstanding job of communicating during the process. I wanted to take the opportunity here to introduce these artists to you and encourage you to give them a try. All of them have long publishing histories with companies like Marvel, DC, and others. Each of them are among the best kept secrets in comic art commissions. I'll list a few now, and add others in the future. So, without further ado:

Sal Velluto: His credits include Justice League, JSA, the Phantom, Bloodshot, and a very long stint on Black Panther. After at least a dozen commissions by him, I can give him my highest recommendation. You can contact him through his website at velluto.com

Val Semeiks: His credits include stints on Lobo, the Demon, DC 1,000,000, JLA/Wildcats, Lobo the Duck, Conan the Barbarian and others. Always a pleasure to deal with. Contact him through his website at valsemeiks.com. Highest recommendation.

Luke McDonnell: His credits include long stints on Justice League of America, Iron Man, and Suicide Squad. Contact him at lfmcdonnell@gmail.com. Highest recommendation.

Let me be clear when I say that I do not rep any of these talented artists, or receive any compensation from them. I just wanted those of you who love great art at a great price with great service to know about them. More to come!
DamonO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
SwanShadow
Fantastic Four

Having commissioned all three of the aforementioned artists multiple times, I can heartily second DamonO's recommendations.

I'll add that on my commission projects with them, each of these gentlemen went the extra mile in both creativity and customer service. I got everything I paid for, and more besides. More than that, all three seem to actually enjoy the commission process -- which, as we all know, isn't always the case.

Now I'm thinking I sure could use a new Velluto, Semieks, or McDonnell piece... hmm...
SwanShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

This is good to read. I've had my share ( if there even a proper 'share') of Bad Artist situations and its a relief to get some good recommendations.
I will definitely be checking out McDonnell and Velluto!
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
s.slayton
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Ooh! Been wanting a McDonnell commission for a long while. Thanks for the email address!
s.slayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
DamonO

SwanShadow, thank you for the stamp of approval -- and I certainly would love to see a new commission for you from any of those fine artists.:-)

Arcusprime and s.slayton, let us know how it goes, and tell them I sent you.:-)
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

As I try to I will always pitch Mitch Ballard who can be found on eBay (though you could always contact him directly via e-mail). His art style is very Perez and Giordano-ish.

His turnaround time used to be a bit under a month if he had an open schedule but he seems to be pretty popular these days so expect about two months+ if he's busy. He's great with keeping in contact and replying to messages. I've gotten two pieces from him so far (attached) with one more in the making (of a series I'm continuing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCF08052011_00000.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	79333   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCF11232010_00000.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	79334  
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Mitch is working on a commission for me now. I managed to catch him on eBay last month. I'm really looking forward to this getting this piece!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Spidey62
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'm new here, but I can't say enough good things about
Val Semeiks. He did a Peter Parker in his bedroom creating his mechanical web shooters for me that was just great. Quick turnaround and full communication throughout the process.
Spidey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I sent Val an e-mail a couple days ago for commission rates. Have not heard back yet. Hoping I will soon.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
DamonO

Val will absolutely respond to you. He's one of, if not THE most reliable artist I've ever done business with. Looking forward to seeing what you're thinking of having him draw for you.