Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #791
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Expanded scene where she gets the motorcycle.

Wonder why they cut it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZ1QwCwqE0

The blu-ray is out on June 11th, yet the movie is still playing in theaters. I hadn't noticed that some films, Infinity War for example, continued for weeks at the theaters even after being available on streaming and Blu-ray.
I think they've learned over time shortening turn around to home video makes them more money. Films are also front loaded so much more at the box office these days.

I remember in the 80s could wait years for VHS on hit films such as E.T.

E.T. - Theatrical Release - 11 June, 1982
E.T. - Home Video Release - 27 October, 1988
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #792
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I've never had soda or popcorn at a cinema in my life. Couldn't afford it as a kid, so just never bother.

In terms of tickets, I pay $10 a month to see all the movies I want. So roughly $3-$5 per movie which I think is reasonable.
I've heard of that! I would LOVE to have an option like that. If I could pay $10 a month for unlimited movies I would have for sure watched Capt Marvel.

I'm going to try to ask an honest question here and hopefully I do not get flamed for it: is this movie like in your face girl power? I am fine with female heroes and stars of movies etc etc but I just roll my eyes when it feels like pandering. I've heard mixed opinions on this one. I mean I'm going to watch it anyways... probably?
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #793
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I've heard of that! I would LOVE to have an option like that. If I could pay $10 a month for unlimited movies I would have for sure watched Capt Marvel.

I'm going to try to ask an honest question here and hopefully I do not get flamed for it: is this movie like in your face girl power? I am fine with female heroes and stars of movies etc etc but I just roll my eyes when it feels like pandering. I've heard mixed opinions on this one. I mean I'm going to watch it anyways... probably?
Not the whole movie but there are several scenes where they're pretty obvious about it.. they keep showing flashbacks of some douchebag saying stuff like "You know why they call it a cockpit don't you" in reference to her trying to be a fighter pilot.. and then some scene at the end where she goes "I don't need a man's permission to do anything" or something along those lines even though the scene has nothing to do with what she's talking about... these scenes just take you out of the plot of the movie just so they can make obvious female empowerment statements..

kind of like the Avengers End Game where Spider-Man because he is male, is unable to get the gauntlet to Stark so all the females pop up on the screen at once saying we can do it because were female... it's just cheesy stuff like that which takes you out of the story just to appease the actresses in Hollywood...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #794
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
and then some scene at the end where she goes "I don't need a man's permission to do anything"
The actual line is "I have nothing to prove to you".
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #795
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Not the whole movie but there are several scenes where they're pretty obvious about it.. they keep showing flashbacks of some douchebag saying stuff like "You know why they call it a cockpit don't you" in reference to her trying to be a fighter pilot.. and then some scene at the end where she goes "I don't need a man's permission to do anything" or something along those lines even though the scene has nothing to do with what she's talking about... these scenes just take you out of the plot of the movie just so they can make obvious female empowerment statements..

kind of like the Avengers End Game where Spider-Man because he is male, is unable to get the gauntlet to Stark so all the females pop up on the screen at once saying we can do it because were female... it's just cheesy stuff like that which takes you out of the story just to appease the actresses in Hollywood...
Spider-Man being unable to get the gauntlet to Iron Man because of his gender is completely false. I don't see how that assumption can be made at all.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #796
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:

I would say it is very mild in that regard. Carol is stubborn and cocky and what we called a"Tomboy" growing up. I never got the sense she hated men, but that she felt more at home in male arenas (sport, go karts, military).

If I didn't know there was any controversy I would never have guessed. I've seen movies that were far worse or aggressive in their handling of "battle of the sexes" type tropes.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #797
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Ok thanks for all the info. Like I said, I'll probably watch it regardless because well I love comic movies. Just wanted to set expectations for myself lol... I heard there was a fight scene to No Doubt's "I'm just a girl"... is this true or was my buddy just messing with me?
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #798
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q9VW9sFB2s
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #799
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Ok thanks for all the info. Like I said, I'll probably watch it regardless because well I love comic movies. Just wanted to set expectations for myself lol... I heard there was a fight scene to No Doubt's "I'm just a girl"... is this true or was my buddy just messing with me?
I hated the movie even though I agree with its politics. It was just poorly made in terms of aesthetics and storytelling.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #800
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
The No Doubt song is there and it’s the worst part of the movie. I liked it, it’s good and not too much forced politics IMO. Samuel is great in it and I loved seeing Agent Coulson again.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote