Tool 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #61
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
Do we need to start a thread about best hair metal band of the 80's?
I think that might be a good idea...
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #62
bat_collector
Galactus

I'll do it, but we need 10 nominees. So far, I got:

Cinderella
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Van Halen
GnR
Motley Crue
Ratt

Who else? Or who not from above list?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #63
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector

Who else? Or who not from above list?
Great White
White Lion
Enuff Z'nuff
Whitesnake
Poison
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #64
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Twisted Sister
Quiet Riot
Scorpions

I stood in line in back of Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister fame at Circuit City 2-3 years back. He was a DJ at WCCC in Hartford, CT at the time. He had the hair and the radio station logo shirt, but I didn't recognize him. It wasn't until I saw a TV commercial a few weeks later that I made the connection.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #65
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

NOOOO! Not hair bands..... too corny....... guys in leotards.....
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #66
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I gotta tell you I think a few of these bands did their thing well in the 90s

musically it was an era full of eclectic genres and tastes... I admit I had a hard time with the "alternative" stuff... I hated Nirvanna and that genre. I don't deny the talents these bands had but I just like better sounding voices than Cobains fingernails on a cheese grater voice.

Soundgarden was not much better for me... but all of these bands were a breath of fresh air to the played out hair and I get the message... Two of my all time favorite bands were very strong in the 90s... Metallica and Tool. They still had that uncompromising break your rib type crunch I have always and will always still love with two voices that I enjoy lyrically. Maynard James Keenan on Aenima is one of the best performances I've listened to... and Hetfield was still singing about his demons in a way that didn't have me wanted to put and icepick in my ears like the ST Anger album did.

Someone else who was a bright spot here was Alice... for crying out loud... between Dirt and Facelift... grunge became a scary cool word. Haunting dual vocals from Stahley and Cantrell worked so well. Pearl Jam's first disc was also grunge that blew me away. It was the last disc the had to do that.... ah well...

rage was awesome too and I'm surprised you didn't swap STP for Korn here Mike... Korn didn't come until later in the mix and STP between the crunchy Core and the more bizarre yet equally good purple was rockin'

My answer will have to be Tool... it's only personal preference but with all of their weird claymation videos and the fact that they aren't afraid to use the base guitar as the lead so to speak just rocks...

You look at all the bands that are starting to come into the fray now... ask them how many of them lsitened and were influenced clearly by tool...the way the song has changes and a swing feel...

Chevelle
Breaking Benjamin
Earshot
and many more...
Old 09-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #67
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59
rage was awesome too and I'm surprised you didn't swap STP for Korn here Mike... Korn didn't come until later in the mix and STP between the crunchy Core and the more bizarre yet equally good purple was rockin'
Korn was at least innovative, STP was along for the ride and the clostest thing to a pop band grunge had.

And I think Scott Weiland is a joke.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #68
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59
My answer will have to be Tool... it's only personal preference but with all of their weird claymation videos and the fact that they aren't afraid to use the base guitar as the lead so to speak just rocks...
(sniff) Beautifully said. You can't get any more original than TOOL. They have to be the most famous underground band out there. I really like it when a band cares more about the music than the money. Thats why they created their own record label, because the one they were on before wanted them to sell out and start making crappy Nickelback type stuff like all the rest of the bands out there. Oh, and here's a bit of trivia, their guitarist, Adam Jones used to be a special effects artist. He helped create Slimer and the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters along with designing many of the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park. Can't wait for the new album which seems to have been pushed back to early next year.
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #69
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I would have liked to have added Failure. A very underrated and underground band. Toured around with Tool alot, Maynard's even contributing to their tribute album coming out soon.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #70
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

i do realize u specifically said u werent including pantera in ur poll - but i gotta say they probably are teh closest thing to what u where looking for - their debut album came out in 1990 ( cowboys from hell ) and the follow up album (vulgar display of power) went dbl platnium ( i think ) - also the far beyond driven ( the thrid album ) was the only metal album ( at the time ) to ever place on teh billboard top 40 when it debuted ( placed #1 ) - if any band defined heavy music for the 90s it was pantera
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote