Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #26791
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Bonjour Tristesse (1958) - Cecile, decadent young girl who lives with her rich playboy father Raymond. When Anne, Raymond's old love interest, comes to Raymond's villa, Cecile is afraid for her way of life.

I didn't expect a movie titled "Bonjour Tristesse" to be this much fun--minus the ending of course. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #26792
Wizard
A day without sunshine is like... night.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Painfully boring and totally blows the Dark Phoenix comic book storyline. Why do such a storyline when you don’t even attempt to show how truly powerful she is...which is unstoppable against just about any force in the comic book universe. Flipping police cars and controlling train cars in the air does not do it. I guess the ending began to suggest the extent of her powers, but by that time, I had my remote on 2x forward.

Seriously, why couldn’t they have gone down the sun-planet-solar system destroyer that is Dark Phoenix?

2/10
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #26793
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
. The song finale would be a top 3 without a doubt if it were entered.

8/10
I am assuming you are referring to Yah Yah Ding Dong
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #26794
statman
Baron Zemo

Back to the Future - 9/10

It was fun to revisit one of my favorite movies growing up.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #26795
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Daybreakers (2009) - Interesting take on a Vampire story. In the distant future of...2019, a virus has spread and turned almost everybody on earth into Vampires. The few humans that are left have become either freedom fighters, or are hooked up to machinery to have their blood harvested. Only problem with the new Vampire society...there aren't enough humans left to provide them with blood. Naturally, chaos ensues as the starving Vampires mutate and die, while others try and create synthetic blood, or better yet, try to find a cure for Vampirism. Stars Ethan Hawke, Sam Neill and Willem Dafoe. This was a really cool idea, and it was neat seeing a full Vampire society, like Vampire police officers, Vampire scientists etc and there was lots of gore to enjoy, but ultimately I dont think they took full advantage of the premise they had, they could have done a lot more - 7/10

Don't be Afraid of the Dark (1973) - Fun made for TV movie, which was later remade (poorly) in 2010. Its about a husband and wife who move into an old Victorian mansion. Against the advice of the handyman, the wife removes bricks from an old boarded up fireplace, and unknowingly releases a bunch of little demon creatures that were conjured previously and locked in the fireplace. Once released the demons target the woman, taunting her, threatening her, abusing her, but of course they do it in sneaky way so only the wife sees them, which leads the husband and others to believe the wife is going nuts. The movie was visually beautiful with great use of color at times, especially the bathroom scene, and it had a great shock ending - 7/10

Disturbing Behavior (1998) - Apparently this movie was just butchered during editing. Lots of crucial scenes that explained many important parts of the movie were cut out (not sure why, the run time wasn't even 85 minutes after the cuts) and what was left was a disjointed mess that didn't make any sense or even attempt to explain anything that happened throughout the movie. Bruce Greenwood and William Sadler were completely wasted on this movie, not sure why they would even agree to be in it. James Marsden practically sleep walked through the entire movie, Katie Holmes was OK but underused, and Nick Stahl was Nick Stahl lol I wish they would have released the unedited version, but I think they were too afraid that it would cause the target MTV audience to have to think a little too much - 5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #26796
ParisDean

À bout de souffle / Breathless (1960) - A small-time thief steals a car and impulsively murders a motorcycle policeman. Wanted by the authorities, he reunites with a hip American journalism student and attempts to persuade her to run away with him to Italy.

I decided to watch my favorite film again since Jean Seberg's character here is an extension of her role in the last film I saw, Bonjour Tristesse. This is French New Wave at its absolute best. 10/10
Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #26797
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

À bout de souffle / Breathless (1960) - A small-time thief steals a car and impulsively murders a motorcycle policeman. Wanted by the authorities, he reunites with a hip American journalism student and attempts to persuade her to run away with him to Italy.

I decided to watch my favorite film again since Jean Seberg's character here is an extension of her role in the last film I saw, Bonjour Tristesse. This is French New Wave at its absolute best. 10/10
I’ve only ever seen the 1983 Richard Gere version. Is this one better? I know I’m in the minority but I like the Gere version.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #26798
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

It (2017) 8/10 Solid adaptation of the first part(the lady of the painting surprised me, it was really good, chilling)

It: Chapter Two (2019) 6/10 A little dissapointed(As I was with the old lady, it had the potential to be as great as The Shining one from Kubrick)
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #26799
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I’ve only ever seen the 1983 Richard Gere version. Is this one better? I know I’m in the minority but I like the Gere version.
It's my favorite film and I gave it a perfect score so yes, I think the original is better.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #26800
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Apt Pupil (1998) - Seriously heavy movie (and surprisingly a Stephen King adaptation) I don't think this would ever even get greenlit today, and I'm very surprised this was directed by Bryan Singer! Between this movie and The Usual Suspects, I gotta admit Singer has a few really good movies under his belt. The movie is about a high school student (Brad Renfro) who is very interested in the nazi aspects of WW2. Through his research he discovers an old man living in his town is actually a former nazi who was stationed at a concentration camp (played masterfully by Ian McKellen) He decides to blackmail McKellen into telling him things about the nazis and concentration camps that he would never be able to hear from anybody else, he wants the first hand accounts to feed his morbid curiosity and budding appetite for the nazi way of life.

As time goes on he becomes more bold in his demands and pushes McKellen over the edge and ultimately right back into his old nazi frame of mind with devastating consequences, Renfro quickly learns just how dangerous a nazi can be. Never once in the movie did McKellens character show any remorse for what he did during the war, the horrific stories he tells to Renfro are told almost with a twisted pride, and as him and Renfro both mentally decline while feeding off each others hate their actions become more disturbing (one scene in particular had my jaw wide open, do not watch if you are a lover of cats)

I'm not sure if the movie is ultimately meant to make the audience feel sympathetic for McKellens character, it sort of seemed like that to me at the end as he gets off "easy" but they were both despicable people, and by the end its clear the influence on Renfro will be ever lasting throughout his life. On a lighter note, I noticed 3 actors in this movie that Singer brought back for the first X-men movie which came out a couple years later. All in all I really liked the movie, the acting was amazing, but it was very dark and hard to watch, it was like a train wreck, I wanted to look away but there was something that kept me glued, I guess its interesting to see the dark side of people sometimes, at least in movies! - 9/10

Secret Window (2004) - I saw this when it first came out and wasn't overly impressed, but I liked it a lot more upon the second viewing, maybe my tastes have matured since then as it is quite a slow burn of a movie but I found it really interesting. Another Stephen King adaptation, this one is about an author (played by Johnny Depp) who begins to be threatened by a mysterious man claiming Depp stole one of his stories. The threats become more and more frequent, and more violent as time progresses, and ultimately turn to murder. As Depp is stalked by this stranger, many of the events dont add up or make sense, leading Depp to wonder what is real and what is not, and leads him on an obsessive mission to discover the truth at any cost - 8/10

Witchboard (1986) - This was a pretty fun horror movie about some friends who play with a Ouija board and unleash a bunch of trouble. It was kind of like a mix of Final Destination, and The Conjuring. The spirits cause accidents, possess people, mislead people into thinking they are who they aren't, pretty typical stuff for this kind of movie, but for the time it was well done and kept me entertained throughout. The acting could have been better, but I've also seen a LOT worse, so it didn't bother me much. Interesting to note, the movie was meant to be called Ouija, but they couldn't use that name due to the rights of the company that sold the official Ouija boards. That must not have been an issue for the people who released the unrelated Ouija 1 and 2 some odd years ago. Also interesting to note, the lead actress was dating OJ Simpson at the time of filming! - 6.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote