Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #111
Jameshowlett
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Well done Teague! Review left.
Jameshowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #112
Teague
Iron Man

Hey Out and James--thanks! Glad you liked the book.

Out, sorry it ended for you in a way that was frustrating--if you want to PM me, I'll be glad to explain why I did that, but I don't want to post it here and possibly ruin someone else's read.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #113
Justin
Jedi Order

My Fiancé read the book and she was a very happy with it also Teague, She said be sure to make your next one longer though as she thought this one was over to soon for her liking!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #114
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
My Fiancé read the book and she was a very happy with it also Teague, She said be sure to make your next one longer though as she thought this one was over to soon for her liking!
I'm hearing that a lot! Thank her for me, will you Justin? Glad you guys liked the book.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #115
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I got my copy the other day,and I'm going to start reading it very soon.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #116
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I got my copy the other day,and I'm going to start reading it very soon.
Let me know what you think, ril!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #117
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Teague...I have always wanted to be a writer and have started many projects...my problem is that I don't rewrite...I lose patience...but I'm still fascinated by the whole thing...

Can you explain where the idea for plot and characterization came from for your novel and how you went about bringing it to fruition?
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #118
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruze View Post
Teague...I have always wanted to be a writer and have started many projects...my problem is that I don't rewrite...I lose patience...but I'm still fascinated by the whole thing...

Can you explain where the idea for plot and characterization came from for your novel and how you went about bringing it to fruition?
Rewriting is everything. One of the quotes I have up on my wall is from Hemingway: The first draft of everything is sh!t. And while I don't necessarily think it's that bad, it's definitely unrefined. This, I swear, is the secret to writing: learning to edit your own work, and forcing yourself to see it through.

The ideas for the book came from two areas; initially from family stories. The book is set in the town where my folks grew up their whole lives, where I was born and (for a time) raised. I still have family there, though the family farms are sadly gone now. But a lot of family stories made it into the book--including the first chapter. From there, it was a matter of fictionalizing the "true" events enough that it worked as fiction, and paying attention to the ideas that popped up in the writing of the book.

The book went through several major revisions before I got it to basic editing and proofing. There were other characters that I had to cut (Reese's ex was originally a major character, and he originally had a sister, too.) Also, the book was originally all in present tense, and I decided to put the past chapters in the past tense in the second major overhaul. It was a long process, for sure.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #119
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Rewriting is everything. One of the quotes I have up on my wall is from Hemingway: The first draft of everything is sh!t. And while I don't necessarily think it's that bad, it's definitely unrefined. This, I swear, is the secret to writing: learning to edit your own work, and forcing yourself to see it through.

The ideas for the book came from two areas; initially from family stories. The book is set in the town where my folks grew up their whole lives, where I was born and (for a time) raised. I still have family there, though the family farms are sadly gone now. But a lot of family stories made it into the book--including the first chapter. From there, it was a matter of fictionalizing the "true" events enough that it worked as fiction, and paying attention to the ideas that popped up in the writing of the book.

The book went through several major revisions before I got it to basic editing and proofing. There were other characters that I had to cut (Reese's ex was originally a major character, and he originally had a sister, too.) Also, the book was originally all in present tense, and I decided to put the past chapters in the past tense in the second major overhaul. It was a long process, for sure.
How long? ANd how did you go about getting a publisher and agent?
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #120
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruze View Post
How long? ANd how did you go about getting a publisher and agent?
The actual time period is misleading, because it languished for a few years while it was with long-term contests and I was teaching a lot. But I started it ten years ago. This next book won't take nearly that long, though. Maybe a couple of years, tops.

As for agents, I'm out looking for one again. I've had little luck with agents so far--I had a couple of NY agents who liked the book but wanted me to only write the past chapters or the present chapters. Eventually, I went with a smaller, art-house publisher that would let me publish the book I wanted to see out there. Still tough to find, but easier than getting picked up by Random House or Little Brown or whatever.