Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 09-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #1
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Some of my 4x5 transparencies...

I was talking with my cousin down in Florida yesterday, checking up on how things were going after the recent hurricane. Thankfully he didn't get hit very hard and was only without power for a couple of days. Anyways, we wound up getting into a discussion on new upcoming artists on the limited edition print scene as he is as big of a print collector as I am and we have similar tastes in artwork. He's also an artist (drawing, painting, and wood sculpting) and I have been after him for years to start producing his own limited edition prints from many of his paintings.

Next thing I know he is harping on me for the hundredth time for still not having a website and still not having 99.9% of my negatives/transparencies scanned as he has only seen a few of my prints in all the years of my being a photographer. So I told him I would take some quick pictures of some of my 4x5 transparancies using a lightbox and my cheap digital G-10 camera. I matt all of my 4x5 transparencies using archival 8x10 matt board that I have specially made and on the backside I put a sticker that has my company name, the job name, and the transparency number. I can fit about 35 of them into a Light Impressions 8x10 portfolio box. Those are the portfolio's I send out to potential clients. I basically send the transparanices in the portfolio box along with a portable 8x10 light box packaged up in a padded Lightware case. Its a really great system that I have ben using for over 10 years now.

Anyways, since I have never posted any of my photography work up here, I figured I would post some of those pictures up here as well. Just remember these are cheap digital pictures of my 4x5 transparencies. The original transparanices look a 100 times better in person.

Here is a picture that shows me hand holding one of the matted 4x5 transparencies. It gives you a good idea of what the matted transparencies look like. And yes, thats my cat sneaking into the right side of the frame. They just have to get into everything.

And here are some misc pictures and I didnt use a tripod so some might seem a little bit blurry. I don't have very steady hands.

OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #2
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thats it for now as many of the pictures I took wound up coming out blurry as I was hand holding the camera and I don't have very steady hands. Ill use my tripod and retake many of the other images I was planning on sharing with my cousin and post them up in here as well. Until then, at least here are a few of the pictures I have taken. Hope you enjoy them.

And here is another picture of my cat getting in the way. They really do have to be a part of everthing you do, lol.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Very nice! You have a good eye!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Cool.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Very nice! You have a good eye!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Cool.
Much appreciated!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Oh Detroit. Gotta love it, pre and post hipster influx.

I love coming home and going to watch a Tigers game. It's such a beautiful park with a great skyline. RIP Mr. I.

Awww look at your cute lil fuzzy butt kitty. My cat would have done the same thing
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Oh Detroit. Gotta love it, pre and post hipster influx.

I love coming home and going to watch a Tigers game. It's such a beautiful park with a great skyline. RIP Mr. I.

Awww look at your cute lil fuzzy butt kitty. My cat would have done the same thing
Yeah, I really have to go down and reshoot a lot of the downtown area as its changed so much in recent years. For as long as I can remember, people talked about the revitalization of Detroit and it failed each and every time, one corrupt mayor after another. Well, fortunately that can no longer be said as its actally really happening now. You now have all 3 stadiums right next to each other, restaurants and bars opening up left and right and most importantly, TONS of housing, apartments and lofts being built. I was just down there for the final Tigers game and the amount of construction going on down there between the DIA and the main downtown corridor is actually pretty staggering.

I would love to do a book that shows the sweeping changes that have occured down there as I spent 4 years photographing that downtown area back when I was in art school as my campus was right behind the Detroit Institute of Arts, right by Waye State. We used to break into all of the abandonded buildings and skyscrapers and shoot rooftop shots off of all of them. And looking back at those pictures, its pretty amazing how many of them have absolutely NO people in them at all. It looks like a completely abandoned city in many of my pictures as back then, people just didn't go downtown. Now its like the complete opposite as there are just tons of people down there, especially during sports games. That final Tigers game i went to, the Lions were actually playing a game at the same time and there was a Red Wings game scheduled for later that night. Honestly, in all my years of living in or by Detroit, I had never seen that many people downtown at one time before. I was pretty blown away. Its just nice to finally see things coming back to life down there.

I actually shot Comerica Park. That was one of the funnest jobs I have shot to date as I am a HUGE Tigers fan and I had a pass that literally let me go anywhere in the park I wanted to go and I literally mean anywhere. Locker rooms, workout rooms, on the field, etc. And the shoot took a full week and there were 3 games played during that period. I will post some more of those Comerica Park pics when I get around to reshooting some of those transparamcies like I did up above. And my last job of this season was shooting the new Little Ceasars Arena for the Red Wings and Pistons. Its a really beautiful arena, but I absolutely DESPISE the name. Little Ceasars Arena, BLAH!!!