Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #481
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralek View Post
I think the point is more like this: Most people do not find that over-extension attractive.

Everything else JSC does is obviously also an exaggeration, ranging from cheekbones to leg-to-body ratio, but those tend to be 'attractive' exaggerations.

In other world, it's not about realism at all, but whether it is an exaggeration/ change that reinforces the T&A nature of image/ sculpt or not. Just saying ...
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #482
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralek View Post
I think the point is more like this: Most people do not find that over-extension attractive.

Everything else JSC does is obviously also an exaggeration, ranging from cheekbones to leg-to-body ratio, but those tend to be 'attractive' exaggerations.

In other world, it's not about realism at all, but whether it is an exaggeration/ change that reinforces the T&A nature of image/ sculpt or not. Just saying ...
yes and no. No I dont find hyperextension necessarily attractive. But when the subject first came up everyone was saying its un-natural and the statue is essentially broken. Thats been shown now not to be the case. Instead it just has an aesthetic that isnt everyones cup of tea. Pretty much no different than other nitpicks of any female statue sculpts on these boards lol.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:35 AM   #483
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
yes and no. No I dont find hyperextension necessarily attractive. But when the subject first came up everyone was saying its un-natural and the statue is essentially broken. Thats been shown now not to be the case. Instead it just has an aesthetic that isnt everyones cup of tea. Pretty much no different than other nitpicks of any female statue sculpts on these boards lol.
I don't know about that. I mean, the fact that everyone felt it was unnatural is kinda proof in itself that it is at the very least very uncommon, and even that aside, knowing that it is not in fact entirely impossible, does not make it any more natural to me, and certainly not any more attractive.

Also, very little about JSC's girls is natural, but it certainly is attractive. The point I was trying to make though, was that you cannot rationalize aesthetics.

Well, I for one cannot rationalize them. Having this or that background knowledge does not change in the slightest, how I feel about a design choice like this. It looks the way it looks, and that is really all I need to know to make a personal judgement on whether I like it, or I don't.

This is not very enlightened, I know, but then, we are by definition talking about superficial stuff in the truest sense of the word!
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #484
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Some dont like Aspen because her lips are weird, some dont like Red Sonja because she’s flabby, some didnt like the abs on the last one... some people arent going to like Abbey’s leg- but not because the statue design is broken. Thats the only point anybody has been trying to get across. Nobody is trying to prove that its attractive, that would be kind of pointless. But thats the narrative a lot of people who were against it from the start are now switching to.

imo, knowing that hyperextension is common to dancers it makes sense that a superspy/agent- who should be agile, would have developed similar attributes. In other words I can ignore the leg which is not the center of attention anyway, and enjoy the statue for what it is. I dont really understand why thats so hard to do.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #485
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Some dont like Aspen because her lips are weird, some dont like Red Sonja because she’s flabby, some didnt like the abs on the last one... some people arent going to like Abbey’s leg- but not because the statue design is broken. Thats the only point anybody has been trying to get across. Nobody is trying to prove that its attractive, that would be kind of pointless. But thats the narrative a lot of people who were against it from the start are now switching to.

imo, knowing that hyperextension is common to dancers it makes sense that a superspy/agent- who should be agile, would have developed similar attributes. In other words I can ignore the leg which is not the center of attention anyway, and enjoy the statue for what it is. I dont really understand why thats so hard to do.
This guy gets it!

Also...anyone else think Ralek sounds...familiar?
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #486
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Also...anyone else think Ralek sounds...familiar?
I was thinking the same thing.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #487
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I had a $50 international coupon that was about to get overlapped.. so I caved and ordered the Regular edition. It’s a little bit easier to swallow at $450.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:16 AM   #488
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:

Here's the medical outlook on hyperextension of the knee.

A hyperextension in the knee can happen often to a mild degree through misuse of your legs during exercise, or it can result from a sudden, high-impact shock of force to your knee. Regardless of how it occurs, hyperextension is dangerous and can result in pain and serious consequences.

Simply speaking, hyperextension of the knee occurs when the knee goes back too far. Technically, this is the result of the knee joint opening too widely, which allows the shinbone to go backward beyond a comfortable point. This can happen any number of ways

However, milder examples of repeated misuse, such as allowing the knees to hyperextend during regular bouts of yoga exercise, can end up taking their toll as well.

The unfortunate consequences of knee hyperextension range from mild pain to chipping of bone and tearing of ligaments. Some damage could require surgery and can be catastrophic for joint and muscle mobility. Often, the worst cases are associated with a popping sound, which typically announces the tear of the anterior-cruciate ligament. ACL tearing is a common knee injury for competitive sport athletes. Even minor instances of knee hyperextension can cause painful swelling that needs to be addressed immediately with medical attention.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #489
dechirico7
The Flash

Smh....it is a comic charater....fantasy
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #490
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Here's the medical outlook on hyperextension of the knee.

A hyperextension in the knee can happen often to a mild degree through misuse of your legs during exercise, or it can result from a sudden, high-impact shock of force to your knee. Regardless of how it occurs, hyperextension is dangerous and can result in pain and serious consequences.

Simply speaking, hyperextension of the knee occurs when the knee goes back too far. Technically, this is the result of the knee joint opening too widely, which allows the shinbone to go backward beyond a comfortable point. This can happen any number of ways

However, milder examples of repeated misuse, such as allowing the knees to hyperextend during regular bouts of yoga exercise, can end up taking their toll as well.

The unfortunate consequences of knee hyperextension range from mild pain to chipping of bone and tearing of ligaments. Some damage could require surgery and can be catastrophic for joint and muscle mobility. Often, the worst cases are associated with a popping sound, which typically announces the tear of the anterior-cruciate ligament. ACL tearing is a common knee injury for competitive sport athletes. Even minor instances of knee hyperextension can cause painful swelling that needs to be addressed immediately with medical attention.
Im not really posting back on forth to be argumentative, I just find the topic really interesting. From aballeteducation.com:

Should you hyperextend?

The obvious answer is yes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ridiculous and silly. Everyone goes on and on about if you should hyperextend your knees or if you shouldn’t hyperextend and blah blah blah. The answer is pretty obvious at looking at any ballet photo or video. Now, to be a little more precise, there is a right way, and there is DEFINITELY a wrong way to hyperextend.

The Pros of Hyperextension:
Hyperextension makes for prettier lines
Makes the leg look higher in extensions
More precise shapes.

The Cons of Hyperextension:
Prone to injury in weaker dancers
A smaller center of gravity
Gripping.

Previously thought it was a side effect of ballet, but its actually a skill you have to learn. There are right and wrong ways of using it and training for it. Its actually pretty sought after.

vid of Misty Copeland for fun
https://youtu.be/ZY0cdXr_1MA