Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
Hellz Manik
Death is hereditary.

Hey Sideshow stop making plastic statues and taking shortcuts

Cmon man .....stop. First Voltron , then wolf bust then it's a premium format with no mix media, then one leg up statues.....stop.

Let's get back on track and make it happen....

I refuse to believe the golden age of sideshow is dead
Hellz Manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
sil80jdm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Sidesnatch collectibles... snatch your money all the way to the bank!
sil80jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 AM   #3
SuperJ300
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz Manik View Post

Have you just woken up? This was declared years ago! Lol

It's just luck know that the statue that you like comes out nice in production!
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #4
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

The era of Rogue and Psylocke PFs is over RIP Sideshow
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #5
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz Manik View Post
Cmon man .....stop. First Voltron , then wolf bust then it's a premium format with no mix media, then one leg up statues.....stop.

Let's get back on track and make it happen....

To be fair a lot of people like no mixed media(cloth) on Premium Formats and the one leg up issue can't really be helped as they are very few options with leg poses when sculpting a bipedal human, it's basically either one leg up or no legs up.

But I fully agree that they need to stop with the plastic though, the Wolf LSB is a disgrace.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
Medusa
Frackin!

I am not against mixed media where necessary (quills at the predator bust for example) but full cast in plastic is a no go.
We collect statues (Polystone) not Toys (PVC) !
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Just to offer a counter view point - I used to collect 1/6th Action Figures (dolls as some might say) and the levels of portrait realism that can be achieved in PVC is truly amazing.

I would like to see this "technology" employed more in 1/4 scale statues - if only for the headsculpts. So far, where it has been used, the effects have been remarkable.

Also, let's not forget, it's not the material that's used that makes a product a "TOY" it's the intended function. There is a huge list of PVC products out there that are clearly not toys. Equally, it's not the use of Polystone that equates to an adult collectable - in fact, for many many years statues were not even made of Polystone
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Funny I thougjt the consensus on Voltron was that was a pretty great piece...
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Python
Omega Red

This went off on a tangent a bit, the one leg up pose is subjective and actually works really well sometimes. Plus as Majestic said, the options for leg posing is rather limited in general. Do you want Darth vader doing a roundhouse kick?

Mixed media is similarly so, it depends very much on the subject in question really. I like mixed media, real netting on a Predator statue for instance is always far superior to sculpted and badly painted netting. But sometimes all sculpted is just the better way to go whether it is labeled a PF or not. A blanket complaint against it makes no sense really.

Now Plastic, I have to agree, focus your attention there as the Wolf LSB is atrocious and either it has to never happen again. Or Sideshow need to be far more open about it going forward so that people can avoid products like that which are all plastic. It's fine on small delicate parts that genuinely do require a different material, but not the entire thing. Especially as the plastic used feels to be of such a poor quality. We've heard the official lines about it actually costing more and it holding detail (despite Wolf losing a lot over the prototype when it's polystone cousins didn't) But at this point it seems very clear that the customer base has spoken loud and clear. The benefits in no way make up for the cons and we do not want fully plastic $650+ high end collectibles. If it is the case that they are going to be, make it very clear please. No beating around the bush, just please state that the entire thing will be plastic. 60 orders, only two people keeping it so far on the forums, and astonishingly negative feedback on all social platforms seems to indicate that it wasn't a great decision to make Wolf plastic. The sculpt was so damn beautiful as well which is the saddest part...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #10
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Funny I thougjt the consensus on Voltron was that was a pretty great piece...
I have only heard positive things. was he plastic too?
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote