Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-23-2017, 04:00 AM   #141
built2shred
Phoenix

That's because those are toys not statues
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #142
krzykoopa
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
You should read this thread if you want real lulz

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=156427
No No I stay away form that thread
krzykoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #143
Hellz Manik
Death is hereditary.

They are at it again with the swamp think maquette. Once again stop supporting these products
Hellz Manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #144
Valderen
The Spirit

If it's clearly identified on the product page, I have no issue with this. I'll pass on all these plastic toys though.
Valderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #145
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
I've got him. The sculpt is amazing. He does have quite a lot of plastic on him though. Not the soft pvc type but a lot of his "shell" seems more like the hard ABS playstation shell type plastic. The silver paint on the steel parts vs the mirror chrome paintup on the proto doesnt help matters either. Also the battle damage is lousy- similar to the Wolf lsb sharpie-like veins in the gums.

Its a love/hate relationship. I think most are forgiving about the piece because it is really imposing and intricate. I'm in love with the sculpt and he looks pretty good at normal viewing distance, but when I get closer I kind of want to bang my head against the wall. Hopefully I can afford a repaint one day. Sux to have to say that about a $1200 collectible piece.
So basically r2d2 plastic, are you for real they used that on a $1300 statue? Wow....
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #146
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Thanks for the insight, a lot of good info. My biggest concern as well with PVC is how long it will last? I know polystone isn't supposed to be in too hot temps or in sunlight, but it seems like PVC even more so along with cold? So you could potentially permanently damage the statue if you lose power for a couple days in the winter? It's also a mental thing I guess, I've had 2 polystone or resin statues with leans(1/4 SS Superman PF and Koto 1/6 Danger Room Psylocke) out of around 70+ and I only have a handful of PVC so I can't say personally how they hold up although I've had no problems.

Even if I knew SS was using high quality PVC, in my mind I'm thinking it won't hold up as well long term especially if they're larger 1/4 statues. What's your opinion on this?
I havent heard any problems of PVC with cold
temperatures. For those 2 statues you mentioned it probably has more to do with the overall engineering of the pieces.

For larger 1/4 statues, structurally they should hold up fine as Long as the main body is made out of abs. From a smaller scale to larger scale perspective, what companies do is then mould individual pieces of the statue out of different grades of pvc and then attach it to the statue. It's like ss's mixed media approach albeit on a pvc level. You have freedom to craft complicated outfits but still retain the illusion of a fully sculpted figure. The material is less brittle in nature and not prone to breakage but as it is a softer material it does not hold up as well as polystone/resin in supporting weight. On the other hand, pvc is lighter so there is lesser load stress.

The main problem is paint application to make things look realistic, in most cases the cost of detailed paintwork to make things realistic might altogether cost more than the difference you saved switching to pvc. There are also assembly costs to factor in.

Will I buy a 1/4 pvc statue? Probably not because of the psychological association of light weight materials with cheap quality. Ss could however Imitate something called charagumin that is basically resin model kits. They look good, have good weight, retain all the good qualities of pvc but is not pvc.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #147
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
That's because those are toys not statues
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 AM   #148
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
So basically r2d2 plastic, are you for real they used that on a $1300 statue? Wow....
Heres a good example pic of everything Ive talked about. Phenomenal detail, even the detail has details. You can tell though from the back that the yellow Lion’s “shell” part (on the front)is plastic. Really though its only a small part of the problem. I think parts that are supposed to be metal but are only painted is a similar issue to the using pvc problem. Its ok to just paint metal parts silver- when its small and not a big focal point. But when the majority of the statue is supposed to be metal, painting it silver comes across fake- just like making the majority of a statue out of pvc looks cheap. I know that the metal chrome painting process cant really be sealed, so maybe its not possible qc-wise on a production piece? But then if thats the case it should not be shown on the prototype when they know it wont be used- thats just not right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06B6A191-953C-484D-974E-B5DD71B59FFB.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	109019  
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #149
iceprince_x
Deadman

With swamp thing being the next statue with a different material (vinyl)... I now dread about Aspen being the same as well.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #150
French Cancan
Deadman

We could imagine a statue with a "skin" made of vinyl, and filled with polystone - as mentioned by Jerry of PCS-
It could be a good idea for a statue of J-LO, we could count the skin pores of J-LO, the pimples of the skin of J-LO, the fine wrinkles of the skin of J-LO (I am kidding of course, it’s just an example, J-LO is PERFECT), and obtain a f*****g level of stunning realism.
But I have zero interest in obtaining such a level of realism for fictitious characters as Harley, Red Sonja, Catwoman etc.... Zero interest for their pores, pimples or wrinkles.
So, please, let me dream with my polysoftskin ladies.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote