Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

View Poll Results: Would you take your grail piece of art over the cover to Action Comics #1?
Grail 1st appearance art 10 43.48%
Action Comics #1 10 43.48%
Hey I don't count because Superman is my favorite character. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

So even though half of everyone's day on here is spent thinking about the next statue or next piece of art or looking for that special collectible. If your ultimate collectible fell in your lap half of you would still take the money and run. Very interesting.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #22
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
So even though half of everyone's day on here is spent thinking about the next statue or next piece of art or looking for that special collectible. If your ultimate collectible fell in your lap half of you would still take the money and run. Very interesting.
Not interesting, just shows people have a grip on reality. When you get into that stratosphere of financial windfall, I would like to think most people would think with their head more than their heart. As much as I would love to own the OA to Hulk #1 cover, I would not be able to keep it knowing what it would do for my family.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #23
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I would take the action comics art and flip it.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #24
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Not interesting, just shows people have a grip on reality. When you get into that stratosphere of financial windfall, I would like to think most people would think with their head more than their heart. As much as I would love to own the OA to Hulk #1 cover, I would not be able to keep it knowing what it would do for my family.
Those same people spend thousands on collectibles all year long, wouldn't that help there family too? I guess you should also take into account the financial situation of the poster. I'm sure someone like David Mandel would rather have a grail cover then money since he has plenty already.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

see I am looking at this from a NON resale point of view would you rather own the grail cover of your character or a cover which might be looked at by others as being more of a broad spectrum grail in general .. thou with me the cover to DC#27 would fall into both categories.

like would you rather own your grail cover or something worth 5 million bucks but you could not sell it all you get it the ability to say you own it...
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #26
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Those same people spend thousands on collectibles all year long, wouldn't that help there family too? I guess you should also take into account the financial situation of the poster. I'm sure someone like David Mandel would rather have a grail cover then money since he has plenty already.
thousands and millions are different. Conceptually, I agree with the premise you propose and I would surely love to have Hulk 1 cover but the reality of that specific situation would mean it would go bye bye as I am assuming such a grail piece of OA would be almost priceless. Heck, if I did have such a grail piece of OA like that, I don't know how long I would be able to keep it in my house for fear of something happening to it (fire, theft, etc.)

CAF
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I am assuming that we can't just turn around and sell the cover to Action Comics. I would take the cover to Hulk #1 in a heartbeat.
Yup - what he said...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #28
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
When it comes to life changing money than basically anything is for sale.
I know this is true - but I would have a hard time selling my grail unless I was in dire straights - unless I needed money to keep my house...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #29
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

If the question is "do I take my grail comic book art or a few million dollars?", I take the millions. If you say the comic art, you've clearly lost yourself in this hobby.

If the question is "do I take my grail art or another piece of art worth 2x - 3x more?". I would take my grail art.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking007 View Post
If the question is "do I take my grail comic book art or a few million dollars?", I take the millions. If you say the comic art, you've clearly lost yourself in this hobby.

If the question is "do I take my grail art or another piece of art worth 2x - 3x more?". I would take my grail art.
yes, this is the point I am trying to make

CAF