Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #91
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Love this series. The last episode was amazing. Hit me right in the feels pretty hard.

"We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep."

The Tempest
William Shakespeare
I enjoyed it as well, especially the last episode. Season 2 awaits.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #92
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

I enjoyed the show, but like some of the Marvel Netflix shows (and as many have said), a 10 episode season could easily have been done in six to seven episodes and not lost anything.

If I could only watch a season two of one series, this or The Mandalorian, I'd go with The Mandalorian.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #93
Augen
The Hulk

I think what I want from Star Trek and what I've got from Star Trek post Deep Space Nine are two very different things.

Excessive violence, action over thinking, swearing, and loads of cynicism; it is dark time for the federation and people back sliding into the follys we once overcame in the series mythos.

What I'd give for a true successor (The Third Generation?) to the spirit of The Next Generation. Maybe I'm a relic compared to what other fans want.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #94
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I think what I want from Star Trek and what I've got from Star Trek post Deep Space Nine are two very different things.

Excessive violence, action over thinking, swearing, and loads of cynicism; it is dark time for the federation and people back sliding into the follys we once overcame in the series mythos.

What I'd give for a true successor (The Third Generation?) to the spirit of The Next Generation. Maybe I'm a relic compared to what other fans want.
I tend to agree with you, but even DS9 took a darker tone as Sisko observed that away from the main Federation planets things were not as neat and simple.
The Dominion (and the Borg before them) drove home that point. I'm sure Roddenberry's hair would've caught fire on plot points like Section 31 (even making it part of the charter) and Sisko's pained acceptance of Garak's duplicitous and murderous scheme to enlist the Romulan's support, or Sisko's poisoning of a planet's atmosphere. Pretty un-Federation-like. But that's why I loved DS9, it shook things up and took Trek out of it's comfort zone, even weighing in pretty heavily on religion. It still remained hopeful, overall.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #95
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
I tend to agree with you, but even DS9 took a darker tone as Sisko observed that away from the main Federation planets things were not as neat and simple.
The Dominion (and the Borg before them) drove home that point. I'm sure Roddenberry's hair would've caught fire on plot points like Section 31 (even making it part of the charter) and Sisko's pained acceptance of Garak's duplicitous and murderous scheme to enlist the Romulan's support, or Sisko's poisoning of a planet's atmosphere. Pretty un-Federation-like. But that's why I loved DS9, it shook things up and took Trek out of it's comfort zone, even weighing in pretty heavily on religion. It still remained hopeful, overall.
I would say from my perspective those dark aspects were against an optimistic backdrop. The TNG films had aspects I wasn't crazy about either.

It's the difference between having a huge space battle immediately and having a huge space battle after exhausting other options. Yes, the end is the same, but the desire is there to explore options. That struggle always defined Star Trek to me, trying your best in the face of such situations.

By all means, others have fun. I don't mind darker sci fi, The Expanse fills that for me. I just have this notion of what Star Trek is.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #96
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
see as much as we disagree on other things we can still appreciate the genius that is Benjamin Sisko, quite possibly my favorite member of Starfleet.
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote